An 18-game season with 16-game player limits?

Rubes

This sounds like it's not a new idea, but I don't recall seeing it discussed here before...I'm not a fan of increasing the season to 18 games, but it's a fascinating idea to limit players to playing 16 games at most. So in a way, both sides get what they want: the owners get more regular season games, and the players still only play 16 games at most.

Could NFL use an 18-and-16 approach to the regular season?

There’s a potential solution that quietly has been making the rounds for several years. Most will scoff upon hearing it for the first time, but it’s possible to warm up to the idea after thinking and talking it through. The concept entails staging 18 regular season games per team but allowing players to participate in no more than 16 each.

That would instantly overcome the health and safety argument, since it would expose players to no more games than they currently play. (That said, injured players who for example miss two games and play 14 under the current structure of the season would potentially miss two games and still play 16.) Kickers and punters, and maybe even quarterbacks (given the protections they enjoy), would be exempt. For everyone one (and possibly for quarterbacks), the limit would be 16.

What do you think? It would really emphasize the importance of quality depth, and make for some really interesting strategic moves during the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

This sounds like it's not a new idea, but I don't recall seeing it discussed here before...I'm not a fan of increasing the season to 18 games, but it's a fascinating idea to limit players to playing 16 games at most. So in a way, both sides get what they want: the owners get more regular season games, and the players still only play 16 games at most.

Could NFL use an 18-and-16 approach to the regular season?

What do you think? It would really emphasize the importance of quality depth, and make for some really interesting strategic moves during the season.

its an option   ... what % already miss 2 games because of dings and dents?

• Like (+1) 1

Also, it seems like teams would probably sit their starters early in the year to avoid missing them for important games and then you have the same problem by January. 

Also, as far as the 18 game season goes, I think you can have the same affect by doing two by weeks. In fact, you could even go crazy and do an entire league by week. Have normal by weeks, but then on the 9th or tenth week nobody plays. That would be crazy!

The only people who think this is a good idea are scumbag plastic faced owners like Jerry Jones who would be fine with players dying on the field if they can make another dollar.  

This is as stupid as 4 preseason games. Owners just trying to bleed money from fans.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

It's a really fascinating idea. No doubt it would be unpopular from the perspective of the fan that physically goes to the games because they might not get to see their favorite player play. Would be really interesting from the team perspective...basically would give each individual player 2 or 3 bye weeks rather than 1 and then there would be the strategy of "Do we bench all our good players the same week and just hope our backups can pull it off so that we're at full strength for 16/18 games? Or do we bench some sporadically so that we're never at full strength but we're at pretty good strength all 18 games?

I don't really see this happening but it's a fascinating idea to consider.

• Like (+1) 1

They need to think of more innovative ways to increase their bottom line while still getting away from the four game pre-season.

I don't need an 18 game season, especially one where starters dont play two of them.  

These guys run a business where they can basically do no wrong, figure out how to make the gate from those two preseason games in a different way.  Most fans would pay the cost of admission to meet the players and get autographs.

If they are really that hard up, get a farm system setup with a season starting in the Spring working into the early summer, and let those teams play two games prior to the NFL season starting.  They could be played at the NFL Stadium and be included in the season ticket package.  At that point, if the players on that team are any good they could be called up for the final two pre-season games for the professional team.  Gives continuity and creates some storylines.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nope nope

I don’t pay 1000 bucks for season tickets to watch backups and a backup QB play when the starter is healthy 

those seem like fine Little league rules 

Yes you do.  And so do I.  For preseason games that are required.  Even though I don't like this, anything is better than preseason garbage.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Just get rid of PS completely. 

Expand the rosters to 60, allow all 60 to be active on gameday. 

Keep a 10 man PS 

and go to 18 games. 

There easy. 

I like the increase rosters.  But increasing games is just showing you don’t give a crap about CTE or the player’s long term health.  

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This is the worst idea I’ve ever heard.

Of course it is.  It’s plastic faced Jerry Jones’ idea.

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like the increase rosters.  But increasing games is just showing you don’t give a crap about CTE or the player’s long term health.  

Of course it is.  It’s plastic faced Jerry Jones’ idea.

They dont. They care about bottomline. And the PS isnt going anywhere without 18 games in regular season. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

They dont. They care about bottomline. And the PS isnt going anywhere without 18 games in regular season. 

And that’s why if the nflpa had any balls, they would strike.  They have so much power and they just take it from the owners. 

• Like (+1) 1