Do we take Shady McCoy for granted??

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don't think he's taken for granted. Unfortunately he's going into his sunset of his career where he can probably produce at a high level for next 2 years or so. By the time Allen develops  into a passing threat and respected  QB, Shady will be done most likely in Buffalo and possibly the NFL. McBeane needs to find his heir apparent pronto.

If he has 2 years or so of high level play, why does Beane need to find his replacement pronto?  In todays NFL if you have a position secured at high level play for 2 or more years,  that translates to a non need. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, McNubbins said:

I stopped reading at Madden to be honest.  I certainly don't take Shady for granted, he's our best player.

Remember when our best player was the punter? ;) 

I hope Shady doesn't even see the field today,the Bills need him healthy and rested.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I hope Shady doesn't even see the field today,the Bills need him healthy and rested.

The ? was for the comment on the punter, not for the wisdom in sitting McCoy to avoid 'wear and tear'.

11 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don't think he's taken for granted. Unfortunately he's going into his sunset of his career where he can probably produce at a high level for next 2 years or so. By the time Allen develops  into a passing threat and respected  QB, Shady will be done most likely in Buffalo and possibly the NFL. McBeane needs to find his heir apparent pronto.

I think he has 5 quality years personally. 3 elite years and 2 where he's a 2nd or 3rd , change of pace back,but still effective . Like I said in op , he's a Rare athlete , his rare running style will allow him to be productive til 35 I feel and he takes care of his conditioning and body as good as any athlete . Guys like Shady , never missing more than 4 games in a year at RB, while producing at the highest level, don't come around too often and it is just incredible .

We might have his replacement on the roster. Murphy was super impressive to me last year and looks like he might have taken his game up a level. He's learning from the best.  But like we saw with Karlos and  PatriotGillisslee , being consistent at RB ,year in n out , is not easy and is not common in this league. Guys like Zeke and Gurley are phenomenal talents but they take a beating with their run style.

17 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I'd like to see a couple series with Shady and Allen , but it's definitely not a big deal, Shady is as professional as they come. 

I just can't stop thinking about how amazing he can be with defenses having to respect Allens deep play ability and not put 8-9 in box , Shady will absolutely dominate out there

I don't think we underappreciate him, it's just been a long off season and we haven't seen him play much since Jax--plus we've been obsessed with the QBs, so he's kind of going under the radar this training camp/preseason. I do think the national media forgets about him to an extent, but that is mostly because he has been in Buffalo and we just get less coverage and they always assume we will be bad.

I have been surprised in many fantasy football preseason rankings to see Shady listed as like the 16th to 22nd best RB. When technically there are only 32 starters and many RB by committee teams, that seems pretty low. Especially because he has been a workhorse for us, a true #1, and he's so good at receiving out of the backfield (he was #4 in yards from scrimmage last year behind only Gurley, Bell, and K. Hunt). But I assume his rankings are more based on the concerns about our offensive line and who will be QB, rather than McCoy's skills themselves.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, folz said:

I don't think we underappreciate him, it's just been a long off season and we haven't seen him play much since Jax--plus we've been obsessed with the QBs, so he's kind of going under the radar this training camp/preseason. I do think the national media forgets about him to an extent, but that is mostly because he has been in Buffalo and we just get less coverage and they always assume we will be bad.

I have been surprised in many fantasy football preseason rankings to see Shady listed as like the 16th to 22nd best RB. When technically there are only 32 starters and many RB by committee teams, that seems pretty low. Especially because he has been a workhorse for us, a true #1, and he's so good at receiving out of the backfield (he was #4 in yards from scrimmage last year behind only Gurley, Bell, and K. Hunt). But I assume his rankings are more based on the concerns about our offensive line and who will be QB, rather than McCoy's skills themselves.

Yes . Good point about the fantasy rankings, I also have seen many outlets placing him in the same bracket as a Kenyon Drake . Most have brought up his age as a mitigating factor . That really pisses me off, these "experts" don't have enough football i.q to look deeper and look at the fact that Shady doesn't get punished nearly as much as any other RB in the game.  It's just lazy reporting imo and truly disrespectful to one of the best RB in the game.

The fact he was 4th in scrimmage yards is unbelievable , with our pass game. Gurley and Bell each had elite pass games , Hunt and KC was above average with 2 1000 yarders in Kelce and Hill (I believe) , meanwhile Shady was part of the 2nd worse pass game in the league and still performed at that level. Amazing. Looked amazing in his 17th game vs Jax , I'm going to get a steal as I'm very comfortable making him my RB1, even with the question marks at OL ,QB and WR, I still think we're better with Allen/AJ/Peterman+ Dabol , they can't be any worse than Tyrod/Dennison

Edited by JerseyBills

I have always thought shady is insanely good. He has consistently been a top 3 running back in the NFL.

To be honest though, I never thought he would last this long in the NFL with his size. Even when we traded for him I was excited but thought he would only give us one or two good years.

I really fear his play is going to fall off a cliff this season. 30-year-old running backs typically do. His YPC last season was the lowest of his career. Injuries tend to happen more often to older backs.

I think Murphy is going to be carrying the load by mid-season. They need to have younger backups. 

No.  In fact, he's the one I hold my breath for the most that he doesn't f*ck up during the offseason.  I also hold my breath every time he takes a tough or awkward hit that he gets back up again.  

8 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I really fear his play is going to fall off a cliff this season. 30-year-old running backs typically do. His YPC last season was the lowest of his career. Injuries tend to happen more often to older backs.

I think Murphy is going to be carrying the load by mid-season. They need to have younger backups. 

Just the one carry where he quickly bounced outsides shows me he still is just as quick.   Last year he was kept in check with teams stacking the box. I think you'll get two more good years out of him barring injury.

24 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

...damn well better have something(s) behind Shady IMO...if not, opposing DC's gonna bait 40+ times through the air?........we're a LOOOOOONG way off to be able to meet that challenge IMO....TBD pundits saying we have the "worst receiving corp in the league" so noted (COUGH)....

Curtis Martin led the league in rushing at 31 with almost 1700 yards...

i dont wanna heat that shady is old or over the hill... he is a supreme athlete who hasn’t takin a pounding like other 30 year old backs

Be thankful that we get to watch one of the most creative, versatile backs of his generation in red white and blue 

• Like (+1) 1

Jeebus, no. He’s got the 3rd largest total contract for a RB (4th by yearly average) and he’s constantly referred to as our best offensive player.  Incidentally he was 4th in rushing yards and 4th in yards from scrimmage among RBs.  How, exactly, is that under appreciated?  Seems to me like he’s exactly properly appreciated. 

Edited by BarleyNY

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Curtis Martin led the league in rushing at 31 with almost 1700 yards...

i dont wanna heat that shady is old or over the hill... he is a supreme athlete who hasn’t takin a pounding like other 30 year old backs

Be thankful that we get to watch one of the most creative, versatile backs of his generation in red white and blue 

...he has been spared the "plow horse" mentality of Larry Johnson, Dirty Bird Anderson, Murray, etc.....they were all in the single season 390+ carries club.....and didn't do much thereafter...think Shady averages 240+ carries for his career....and his elusive style mitigates constant direct hits....

• Like (+1) 1