OKTC recaps the 2013 preseason hype of EJ Manuel

Haven't read the piece, but I'm sure the typical fan reaction at this forum is identical to the early days with EJ, or Tyrod for that matter.

Remember the "comeback" against Carolina?  A poster here declared we were witnessing the birth of a great new legend QB in Buffalo: EJ Manuel.

Yeah, not so much.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Haven't read the piece, but I'm sure the typical fan reaction at this forum is identical to the early days with EJ, or Tyrod for that matter.

Remember the "comeback" against Carolina?  A poster here declared we were witnessing the birth of a great new legend QB in Buffalo: EJ Manuel.

Yeah, not so much.

The Carolina comeback and the previous week against the Patriots were Manuel's best games as a bill ever. Huge drop off after 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

"Warren Sapp on NFL Network: EJ Manuel has command and control of this offense like no rookie I've seen"

LOL

Yes it is a very scary read since i was so impressed with Allen.

He had all the intangibles but would have terrible practices.  If Allen was throwing the ball that poorly the media would have a feild day.  

Meh.  We're fans, we're supposed to be optimistic.  If I had a nickel for every Buffalo Bill I thought would be good -- and wasn't -- I'd be able to buy myself a cold beer at a local watering hole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Meh. I was never aboard the EJ hype train. 

Im not fully on board the Allen hype train yet either. But I do know that I see more potential in him already than I ever seen in EJ. To be clear, I’m not down on him or anything like that. I just need to see more of him before I form a real opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He had all the intangibles but would have terrible practices.  If Allen was throwing the ball that poorly the media would have a feild day.  

Oh yeah, there are a lot in the media that are just praying for Allen to fail to prove how correct they were about his accuracy issues.

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The Carolina comeback and the previous week against the Patriots were Manuel's best games as a bill ever. Huge drop off after 

Yep he really did.  Strange how that works. JP Losman had some great games, Vince Young was Rookie of the year, even Trent Edwards had some good games.

The article was going along well until the writer said EJ beat out Kolb.  Kolb got a career ending concussion in preseason & was on IR before September.   That's not getting beat out by EJ, that's getting beat up & out of the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The lesson: none of us knows anything until Allen plays some games in the regular season.

At least some games...we have had a habit, as do most every NFL fan/Americans, with patience. Players take time to develop, and in some cases a new situation/team to play for. Our playoff drought only fed that instant gratification monster

EJ Manuel was shaky at FSU with NFL talent all around him

When he graduates, the VERY next season FSU dominates the college football world with a RS Freshman QB (Winston) and wins the Championship.

I KNEW Manuel sucked all along, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, while other posters on BBMB were a 1000% correct when said he was trash from the start.

Allen didn't even have college level talent around him at Wyoming, never mind NFL talent. Allen was the definition of a one man gang at Wyoming, and still had a winning record.

There is literally no comparison between Manuel and Allen. That's the point.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

EJ Manuel was shaky at FSU with NFL talent all around him

When he graduates, the VERY next season FSU dominates the college football world with a RS Freshman QB (Winston) and wins the Championship.

I KNEW Manuel sucked all along, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, while other posters on BBMB were a 1000% correct when said he was trash from the start.

Allen didn't even have college level talent around him at Wyoming, never mind NFL talent. Allen was the definition of a one man gang at Wyoming, and still had a winning record.

There is literally no comparison between Manuel and Allen. That's the point.

Your first two paragraph I never thought about it but it is true.

Third agreed.

Fourth paragraph i cant buy into that.  Maybe he didn't have talent around him but he wasn't facing SEC defenses with physical lightning speed LBs and DBs.  It is all a wash.

Fifth, I mostly agree.  Allen has a set of nuts and quick release that EJ will never have.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Same thing's going to happen to Josh Allen: flashes of competence, if not future greatness.  Then a bad game or two.  Then benched.  Then given up on.

It's the Buffalo Way.

Possible, it could happen but after the Carolina game i have changed my mind materially.  EJ's "flashes of greatness" were pretty darn limited.