Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John from Riverside

Lets give some credit to THE O LINE

Recommended Posts

It was depressing today, if I care this much about pre-season games, what will the real ones be like????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

How many people miss Wood and Richie now.....?????? 

 

It shocks me that with all the moves this front office has made so far that they didn't even attempt to address the O-Line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luka said:

 

It shocks me that with all the moves this front office has made so far that they didn't even attempt to address the O-Line.

With all that cap space we had?

 

Bodine was a bad signing though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

With all that cap space we had?

 

Bodine was a bad signing though

 

How about some draft picks? You don't need to draft one #1 to get a good one. How about undrafted free agents?

I just think that whoever is evaluating the line is blind, deaf and dumb.

Call up Buddy Nix, if there is one thing the man could do, it was scout offensive lineman.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luka said:

 

How about some draft picks? You don't need to draft one #1 to get a good one. How about undrafted free agents?

I just think that whoever is evaluating the line is blind, deaf and dumb.

Call up Buddy Nix, if there is one thing the man could do, it was scout offensive lineman.

 

Ageeed. I seriously question this regimes ability to assess offensive talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Luka said:

 

How about some draft picks? You don't need to draft one #1 to get a good one. How about undrafted free agents?

I just think that whoever is evaluating the line is blind, deaf and dumb.

Call up Buddy Nix, if there is one thing the man could do, it was scout offensive lineman.

The OL that was drafted in this draft in Teller actually looks pretty good.....not sure why he is not getting 1st team burn yet.

 

but.....as far as the picks go several picks went towards moving to 7 and NOT giving up future picks.....what player did we leave on the table?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luka said:

 

It shocks me that with all the moves this front office has made so far that they didn't even attempt to address the O-Line.

But they did,cheaply. Bodine and Newhouse for example...No tears were shed in Oakland and Cincinnati when they were shown the door...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John from Riverside said:

The OL that was drafted in this draft in Teller actually looks pretty good.....not sure why he is not getting 1st team burn yet.

 

but.....as far as the picks go several picks went towards moving to 7 and NOT giving up future picks.....what player did we leave on the table?

 

Several? You mean two?

 

And I'm not going to go all the way back to the draft but I feel like that 4th round pick spent on Taron Johnson could've been o line. The Siran Neal pick as well, where they moved up in the 5th round (where they also drafted Teller) could've also went o line.

 

I mean, my main issue is they lost a LT, a G and C who were pro bowl caliber players at one time or another, looked at this scrap heap that was left and decided "no problem found."

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

But they did,cheaply. Bodine and Newhouse for example...No tears were shed in Oakland and Cincinnati when they were shown the door...

 

Yea and those were guys they targeted. Castillo is unable to identify a good player for a group in which he coaches. It's not like Beane calls him up for his opinion on corner or kicker.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luka said:

 

Several? You mean two?

 

And I'm not going to go all the way back to the draft but I feel like that 4th round pick spent on Taron Johnson could've been o line. The Siran Neal pick as well, where they moved up in the 5th round (where they also drafted Teller) could've also went o line.

 

I mean, my main issue is they lost a LT, a G and C who were pro bowl caliber players at one time or another, looked at this scrap heap that was left and decided "no problem found."

What OL were available in those rounds that you wanted?  Taron Johnson is in line to start in the dime defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What OL were available in those rounds that you wanted?  Taron Johnson is in line to start in the dime defense.

 

You are missing the point, a dime corner is not a position of need when you literally have lost 2 thirds of your starting o line. A back up safety is again, not a position of need in this situation.  It's not up to me to decide who's a good lineman, the point was that is an area they should have been keen on adding depth and talent to.

 

They threw a couple of crappy free agents at it and said "good enough."

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

 

Ageeed. I seriously question this regimes ability to assess offensive talent. 

 

Does this regime lack the ability to assess offense talent or does it not value offense, so it puts offense  at the very bottom of its priorities?   Drafting a first round QB to placate the fan base but not providing him with protection (OL) or targets (WRs) -- a prescription for practically guaranteeing said first round QB to fail -- would fit with either scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luka said:

 

You are missing the point, a dime corner is not a position of need when you literally have lost 2 thirds of your starting o line. A back up safety is again, not a position of need in this situation.  It's not up to me to decide who's a good lineman, the point was that is an area they should have been keen on adding depth and talent to.

They threw a couple of crappy free agents at it and said "good enough."

 

Im not positive that "this is good enough" is what they are really thinking.....they might be thinking "this is the area we are going to address heavily next year" do not forget we are STILL in the middle of a rebiuld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What OL were available in those rounds that you wanted?  Taron Johnson is in line to start in the dime defense.

Call me a idiot or laugh at me but I would not be surprised if TJ started in place of Davis at some point..meaning by mid September.

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

 

You are missing the point, a dime corner is not a position of need when you literally have lost 2 thirds of your starting o line. A back up safety is again, not a position of need in this situation.  It's not up to me to decide who's a good lineman, the point was that is an area they should have been keen on adding depth and talent to.

 

They threw a couple of crappy free agents at it and said "good enough."

 

I agree,especially when you know you're going to be drafting a stud QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Call me a idiot or laugh at me but I would not be surprised if TJ started in place of Davis at some point..meaning by mid September.

 

Which is fine but then why spend the money on Davis? The roster just really seems unbalanced to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Luka said:

 

How about some draft picks? You don't need to draft one #1 to get a good one. How about undrafted free agents?

I just think that whoever is evaluating the line is blind, deaf and dumb.

Call up Buddy Nix, if there is one thing the man could do, it was scout offensive lineman.

 

YE OLE fondly remembers Buddy’s rant on scouting philosophy. It went something like... He wanted to get down on the field and stand nose to nose with these guys. He wanted to smell his breath and know what a guy ate for lunch. That’s how you get quality OLineman... FACT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

 

YE OLE fondly remembers Buddy’s rant on scouting philosophy. It went something like... He wanted to get down on the field and stand nose to nose with these guys. He wanted to smell his breath and know what a guy ate for lunch. That’s how you get quality OLineman... FACT!

 

It worked whatever it was. Levitre and Wood in 09 anchored that line for awhile. If only he could've drafted well at literally any other position lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We better have 2 practice squad QBs because the 3 top guys won't all make it through the season.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's all praise Peterman for making you guys think the O-Line was good for a day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in really big trouble if that OL situation isn't addressed.  I don't think I've ever seen pass protection that bad at the professional level; that is if you can even call what we saw today "professional".

 

You cannot start Allen with pass protection that bad.  By default you have to start someone else.  He doesn't have the the experience to even begin to deal with that.  All you;re going to do is get him hurt, and probably ruin his confidence.  Red shirt him this year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

We are in really big trouble if that OL situation isn't addressed.  I don't think I've ever seen pass protection that bad at the professional level; that is if you can even call what we saw today "professional".

 

You cannot start Allen with pass protection that bad.  By default you have to start someone else.  He doesn't have the the experience to even begin to deal with that.  All you;re going to do is get him hurt, and probably ruin his confidence.  Red shirt him this year.

 

I was trashed for saying this a couple weeks ago.

Sadly I was right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn’t have enough resources to get the QB of our Offense, the qb of our Defense, fix the DL, fill the holes in the secondary and WR. We got a few of them.  Time will tell if they were good choices, but I’m ok with all the additions we made except Lotuleleieeie.  We way overpaid for him.  I think Murphy has the ability to live up to his 7mill per year contract if he can suit up.  I love Allen. I love Edmunds.  I like Taron Johnson.  I think our backup RB position is great, especially compared to last year.  Teller looks the part so far.  Our additions were good, but the sudden departures of incognito and Wood set the team back.  They didn’t want to overpay to fix the OL this year because we didn’t have much cap room.  They will next year.  We have the cap room and will try and fix what they didn’t have the resources to fix this season.  OL, WR/playmakers.  A #2 cb and the rest of the front 7.

 

 

they failed in retaining Castillo.  This is the only thing I hate about McDermott.  That he, for some reason, thinks this guy can coach an OL.  If he’s retained behind this season it could cause McD his job in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...