Are The Bills Mafia’s Tailgate Antics An Embarrassment?

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

Is it ironic because you usually think of everything?

Edited by ricojes

Its an embarrassment. They are becoming nails to the coffin of future tailgating. Some people can't handle their booze.

I love a good party but viral videos of people doing stupid **** just won't work for the benfit of all in the long run

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Its an embarrassment. They are becoming nails to the coffin of future tailgating. Some people can't handle their booze.

I love a good party but viral videos of people doing stupid **** just won't work for the benfit of all in the long run

Well **** john stuart mill I did not know people getting loose at a tailgate had to contribute to the benefit of all to be a valid way to have fun. Thanks for sharing.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Well **** john stuart mill I did not know people getting loose at a tailgate had to contribute to the benefit of all to be a valid way to have fun. Thanks for sharing.

think brother.. Getting losse is perfectly fine. Lighting tables on fire acting like an asshat and posting the videos don't go over well with the community as a whole or the Bills organization nor the NFL

THINK IT THROUGH.A small group of People can't handle their booze, that will end up making it tougher on the majority who actually can

Embarrassing to me? No

Embarrassing to the Bill's? Yes

Embarrassing to the league? Yes

I have said it for years, current tailgating is going to be phased out over time. The teams and league are not going to continue to risk a lawsuit because of drunken idiots and their antics before games as they try to top the last video from the week before

• Like (+1) 1

As a Dad I'm always reminding my kids (and myself) to stay classy.  So you can predict my view on this.

In a way, it doesn't matter if we're personally embarrassed by this. What matters is that the Bills and the NFL decisionmakers are.  And rest assured, they WILL take steps to moderate it while balancing those steps against the resulting impact on their revenue streams.  

I suspect Pegula's team has been working this dilemma for a long time now.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

My old grandad told me something a long time ago, and its something I'll never forget. 

"Son," he said "if you're embarrassed  by something you didn't do, someone will make sure you're always embarrassed by something." 

Powerful words. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It might be as bad as your photoshop skills. 

True.  My graphic arts teach in college said i had a natural gift.  I'm being held back by inadequate software I think.  

I see both sides.  Bills Mafia created a buzz around the team.  Fans get a little status.  We have a rep as the craziest fans in sports.  In a way, that’s pretty cool.

but a bunch of these people are idiots trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.  I think someone is going to kill them selves trying to go viral.  I’ll be some of my tailgate parties against anyone and I’ve never had to smash a table or get so hammered, I couldn’t behave like a normal human being.

so for the most part, it doesn’t bother me, though some of these people are total clowns.  But when it starts messing with your game experience, it’s a problem.  I’ve honestly reached the point that as much as I love tailgating, I’d rather watch the game at home, a bar, or with friends.  Also if I had kids, I would never bring them to a Bills game and I’m sure that’s the least thing the team wants.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

My old grandad told me something a long time ago, and its something I'll never forget. 

"Son," he said "if you're embarrassed  by something you didn't do, someone will make sure you're always embarrassed by something." 

Powerful words. 

this is fantastic.

i just don't understand how people would be personally embarrassed by this.  We've all met people from out of the area that know the reputation of bills tailgates, but has anyone acted differently towards you because of it?  never.  i honestly don't think "outsiders" care nearly about this as much as bills fans do. 

First, let me say this: I have participated in many a Bills tailgate and -- other than excessive inebriation, which I suspect is a problem at just about EVERY NFL stadium -- I have not seen much over-the-top rowdiness or table smashing. The vast majority of fans are just grilling brats and burgs and drinking beers. 

That being said, I DO find the over-the-top, table smashing stuff to be embarrassing. I really do. That the national view of Bills fans is one of drunken, setting-themselves-on-fire, jumping through tables nincompoops is disappointing and self inflicted. It's gross. 

The Grateful Dead have a lyric: "It's 1 in 10,000 that comes for the show". I feel that way about football sometimes. If you take away the alcohol and the pre-game excess, how many would still show up? How many are truly there to watch a football game and not just to get hammered with their friends on a Sunday?

I'd much rather see a group of wild Bills fans getting nuts with each other, even if they're doing potentially dangerous things like jumping through tables and whatnot, as opposed to sh*tbag Philly fans who were throwing full cans of beer at Minnesota fans (even families with small kids) before the NFC Championship game last year. 

Almost every game I've been to, I've seen some drunk idiots cause a ruckus but they get dealt with pretty quickly. And for the most part, other fans will keep the drunk fans in check if they start challenging opposing team fans. I hear, "Let's beat 'em on the field, not in the stands" a lot. 

I do think the people who get blackout drunk *before* the game are pretty stupid. I went to the 2013 opener and some idiot in the row behind me went after another dude like, "You lookin' at mah girl, bruh?!" And they got into a tussle and beer ended up all over my then-fiancee and me... that stuff is a little rage-inducing. The guy got ejected before opening kick off. It's like, way to waste your money and your time. You throw down a chunk of change for tickets, then spend time getting to the game, get hammered, get to your seat, get in a fight within five minutes and get ejected within ten. Frickin' morons.