Interesting Astro Tweet re: Beane

22 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i would consider it both. it was incredible that he chose Buffalo. then the contract was such that he could never be worth the money. there were amazing games and baffling disappearances. he was incredible with schwartz, horrible with ryan. he was quirky when we were successful, and a disgruntled diva when we weren't. it was the very definition of a "mixed bag". 

I wonder how many of us would continue going into work everyday if we had won a $50 million lottery. What's really amazing is how many players continue going all out, risking their physical and mental health, after signing one of today's multimillion dollar guaranteed contracts. I honestly don't know if it's something to be admired, or questioned.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i would consider it both. it was incredible that he chose Buffalo. then the contract was such that he could never be worth the money. there were amazing games and baffling disappearances. he was incredible with schwartz, horrible with ryan. he was quirky when we were successful, and a disgruntled diva when we weren't. it was the very definition of a "mixed bag". 

Cuz Rex Sux

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I wonder how many of us would continue going into work everyday if we had won a $50 million lottery. What's really amazing is how many players continue going all out, risking their physical and mental health, after signing one of today's multimillion dollar guaranteed contracts. I honestly don't know if it's something to be admired, or questioned.

It’s all about love of the game, competitive fire,  and a work ethic that is 2nd to none

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, jamiezzz said:

So did he delete it?  

No he just tweeted a bunch about how Trump sucks, how big of a golf and soccer fan he is, and how domestic beers are less amazing than imports to push it down his Twitter timeline.

Come to think of it Jeremy White and Schoop are slowly becoming the same person.

Edited by thenorthremembers

41 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

You make more money and you spend more money. A lot of lottery winners end up broke. 

49 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

i think most people that get the big money are also driven by the competitive nature and the burning desire to be the best. to make it to the hall of fame. to be immortalized among their heroes. it's not just the money. it's the glory.

32 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Cuz Rex Sux

yes, yes he certainly did. or does. but i think Mario was always a hot and cold player. more talent than desire...by a lot. if he had a motor like kyle williams he would have been the best to ever play the game. but i don't think that was ever his goal.

I would be OK with it just being a 2019 1st plus a 2019 late rounder. But I think the Raiders are going to want more and there is a much higher risk of investing a lot of draft capital in a player and a massive contract. But a 2019 1st is a small price to pay for a player of Mack's caliber. Teams that have 3-4 year runs of success (Which in the NFL a run of 3-4 years where you have a window to win a Super Bowl is as good as you can ask for) always have a dominant pass rusher and Mack certainly would provide that esp at an age where he has a solid window of success left. But I think the Raiders would want something that looks like this. 

2019 1st, 2019 3rd and a 2020 1st. Trading all that and devoting a lot of cap space to a player is hard to do. But if the Bills could do it with maybe only one 1st rounder and some other 3rd round and lower picks go for it. 

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

Am I confused or are you? Ben may be going to HOF, but the point Ryan C883 was trying to make was great defenses have led some teams to SB championships. He points to Steelers getting close when Ben was a rookie. The Ravens and Bucs each won a SB with journey men QBs, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson respectively. Flacco was not the QB on that Raven team and what does Tyrod Taylor have to do with anything? He now is a Cleveland Brown.

Brad Johnson had a really good year that year. Really good. 8th in TDs while sporting an insane 22:6 TD/INT ratio. 10th in YPG. 4th in passer rating. 8th in completion percentage among guys with 200+ attempts. They didn't win in spite of Johnson.

Johnson was no journeyman. He was a guy who could be really good but only managed it inconsistently.

Did the Steelers win that Super Bowl Ben's rookie year? Or did they lose it the same way they did a couple of years earlier with O'Donnell at QB. Only after Roethlisberger got authentically good did they win a title.

I have to give you Dilfer, a game manager and not a great one but Flacco had a good year and a terrific playoffs. He's been pretty bad since but he was a major reason they won that SB.

It's true that great defenses with a mediocre QB win a SB occasionally. (McMahon, Doug Williams, Dilfer, Flacco if you want to count him and maybe a few others, but not Rypien who was probably top two in the league that year before he took what at the time seemed an unexplainable nosedive before we heard about his concussion problems , not Foles who isn't in the SB without Wentz, and not Hostetler who also isn't in that game without Simms playing most of the year.)  But it tends to happen around 10% of the time. That's not the route you want to model. You want to model the method that wins 90%.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i think most people that get the big money are also driven by the competitive nature and the burning desire to be the best. to make it to the hall of fame. to be immortalized among their heroes. it's not just the money. it's the glory.

You also still have to play to earn that money. It's not guaranteed if you retire or simply don't want to play. But that being said I think most football players want to go out and play the game. Once the money is taken care of that's great but the competition and thrill of the chase motivates them. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I am amazed 20% of TBD would not give up a 1st for Mack and extend him!

I think a good part of that 20% realizes that a 1st is no where near enough and don’t want to find out how far away that is to getting it done 

22 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Im posting in midseason form and it's only August. Must be a contract year!

get yours Captain_ Quint !!

21 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Image result for garbage plate recipe

Who's hungry? 

not fair.

takes me back to my youth.  and that's awhile ago

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

ARE WE THERE YET

How many more minutes Dad ! will there be Ice Cream Mom ? You said we could have iced cream if we behaved !