Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 6 - Officials at Practice Today to Cover Rule Changes

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This doesn't make any sense. Of course Trip is as cute as he looks. That's what "cute" is. How someone looks. Now, if Thad had said "Trip is tougher than he looks" or "Trip isn't as cute as he looks; in fact, he's a jerk," THAT would make sense. 

(disclaimer: I have never met Trip and do not know whether or not he is a jerk. I'm sure he's a nice kid. And he sure is cute.)

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's 500 miles and then fall down at the door.

You gotta walk ANOTHER 500 miles before falling down at the door. Come on.

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 quick takeaways from Day 6 of Bills training camp

The intensity was cranked up for the quarterbacks on Day 6 of Buffalo Bills training camp from St. John Fisher College.

Prior to the start of practice, head coach Sean McDermott announced it’d be the first time the group consisting of AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman and rookie Josh Allen would see two-minute drills and third-down situational play.

How did the trio handle it? That and more in our three quick takeaways from Day 6 of Bills training camp:

Brian “Houdini” Daboll

Big day for defense

Quarterback saga continues

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That completion % is not as bad as it looks. They were running a lot of two minute drill stuff today. From reading the play by play Tweets, QBs were throwing balls away on purpose and spiking the ball. I remember one screen pass where they said Allen drilled the ball into the RBs feet because it was blown up.

The sacks a bad sign of things to come with the O-line though. Ugh.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BeginnersMind said:

That completion % is not as bad as it looks. They were running a lot of two minute drill stuff today. From reading the play by play Tweets, QBs were throwing balls away on purpose and spiking the ball. I remember one screen pass where they said Allen drilled the ball into the RBs feet because it was blown up.

The sacks a bad sign of things to come with the O-line though. Ugh.  

Agree. All things considered the OL has me way more worried than the QB performances. Hopefully we can pick up a decent camp casualty on the line.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

The theme I am seeing from Thad Brown is not that he hates Allen.....it is that he wants Allen to be great immediately so he EXPECTS consistant great throws

Unfortunately rookie thoooooo

He's reporting on what he sees both good and bad.  In any event, he's just one set of eyes among many and it's nothing to get exercised over.  :beer:

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The theme I am seeing from Thad Brown is not that he hates Allen.....it is that he wants Allen to be great immediately so he EXPECTS consistant great throws

Unfortunately rookie thoooooo

Criticizing the writers for a small market football team? Relax people! He's just some guy doing his job and he has some thoughts he's jotting down on Twitter.

I can't believe I live in a world where Thad Brown's tweets' word choices are part of the Bills pre-season discussion. 

Many thanks to the voices reporting from camp, and 26 (and others) who repeat those tweets here. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

"Ramon Humber ran off field visibly upset at one point; might have been 12 on the field."

There's no crying in football. What kind of pansy ass team is McDermott running here? Did Ramon run over to the "safe tent"? I'm so done with this team.

4 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Criticizing the writers for a small market football team? Relax people! He's just some guy doing his job and he has some thoughts he's jotting down on Twitter.

I can't believe I live in a world where Thad Brown's tweets' word choices are part of the Bills pre-season discussion. 

Many thanks to the voices reporting from camp, and 26 (and others) who repeat those tweets here. 

Well, it's those "word choices" that speak directly to his understanding of the game and, by extension, his very credibility as a reporter. Sorry, but you can't "report" a deliberate throwaway by a QB as a "brutal incompletion" and not expect to be taken to task for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, it's those "word choices" that speak directly to his understanding of the game and, by extension, his very credibility as a reporter. Sorry, but you can't "report" a deliberate throwaway by a QB as a "brutal incompletion" and not expect to be taken to task for it. 

He did that? Roll out the gallows!

No quarter shall be given to such a one as he.

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like shaq had a good day. Hopefully he can start stringing them together. Using him as a dt on 3rd down obvious pass situations could be effective. 

We desperately need another wr. These guys better get used to catching rockets from allen or they wont be here long

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

He did that? Roll out the gallows!

No quarter shall be given to such a one as he.

Right, like that's what I'm advocating by critiquing his reporting. Ironically, you've overreacted to your perceived overreaction by others to Thad Brown's reporting. 

Brown and every other reporter using the twitter verse as a reporting medium should be cautious in their use stream of consciousness reporting as it's much easier to expose their lack of knowledge while doing so. Especially Thad Brown. 

• Like (+1) 2

Buffalo Bills training camp day 6: Ups and downs for A.J. McCarron (6 observations)

Pittsford, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott ran his team through two-minute drills at the end of Wednesday's practice at St. John Fisher College, and the results were noteworthy.

A.J. McCarron ran the first-team offense well throughout practice, but find out how things went south at the end and more in day six observations.

McCarron struggles in two-minute drill
Tremaine Edmunds gets first interception
Josh Allen turns in some highlights
Rod Streater is name to watch
Gaines and Johnson playing well at the nickel
Peterman: Camp help builds chemistry

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Right, like that's what I'm advocating by critiquing his reporting. Ironically, you've overreacted to your perceived overreaction by others to Thad Brown's reporting. 

Brown and every other reporter using the twitter verse as a reporting medium should be cautious in their use stream of consciousness reporting as it's much easier to expose their lack of knowledge while doing so. Especially Thad Brown. 

So in a worst case scenario, the guy reported that a throwaway was a bad throw--and that's why people keep beating him up for every sentence he now tweets about Josh Allen?

I didn't even know the guy's name until people here started hammering him for making a mistake. 

There but for the grace of god go any of us. 

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

So in a worst case scenario, the guy reported that a throwaway was a bad throw--and that's why people keep beating him up for every sentence he now tweets about Josh Allen?

I didn't even know the guy's name until people here started hammering him for making a mistake. 

There but for the grace of god go any of us. 

I can't speak to why anyone else has been "beating him up", but as far as I'm concerned, not being able to distinguish between a deliberate throwaway and a "brutal incompletion" as he phrased it, calls into question everything else he reports on. Again, that's the danger of stream of consciousness twitter reporting vs. a carefully considered and crafted report. 

• Like (+1) 1

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 6

(WKBW) - To open up the month of August, the Buffalo Bills decided to structure their practice a bit differently than the previous five days to see just how far they've come to this point. The Bills, rather than doing 7-on-7s and 1-on-1s, stayed as a team and continued along with the most reps of 11-on-11s in one day of camp.

Each quarterback neared around 20 pass attempts through the practice, which led to extensive opportunities for all players to make a name for themselves with meaningful reps. 

How did the team fare? Seven observations from Day Six of training camp:

1) Sack frenzy in team drills
2) The context behind the QB stats
3) A whimpering two-minute drill
4) Rod Streater getting extended first-team time
5) A tale of two undrafted rookie receivers
6) Bills keep moving Keenan Robinson around
7) Proehl struggling to stand out

Day 6 MVP: WR Cam Phillips

- As the pads have gone on, Phillips has risen to the challenge and is making an outstanding play almost on a daily basis. Wednesday was his best day so far.

Day 6 LVP: WR Austin Proehl

- Proehl needs to show up a lot more than he has because if he waits too long, he could get passed by a number of receivers trying to crack the 53-man roster.

Up Next: Day Seven on Thursday, August 2 at 8:45 am.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm especially encouraged by this:

As for Allen, he salvaged the two-minute drill on his first play with an incredible throw down the left sideline to Cam Phillips that hit a tight window between two defenders -- a total zone-busting throw, and it went for 26 yards. Allen's next two plays were both throwaways when he saw he didn't have anyone, but on 3rd-and-10, he had Ray-Ray McCloud on a slant pattern that he made in stride, but the rookie dropped it over the middle of the field.

Allen threw a 26 yard strike that no other QB on the team could hope to make. Then apparently correctly threw the ball away on 2 consecutive plays. Then hit a WR in stride on a slant that could have been a 3rd down conversion if it wasn't dopped. This is just day 6 of his first ever training camp. It's hard to not be excited with where he's at this early in the process. Sounds to me like he's getting better every practice and always making at least a couple throws per practice that Peterman and McCarron don't have the natural ability to do.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 6

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can't speak to why anyone else has been "beating him up", but as far as I'm concerned, not being able to distinguish between a deliberate throwaway and a "brutal incompletion" as he phrased it, calls into question everything else he reports on

Remind me never to cook you well done when you order medium rare!

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm especially encouraged by this:

Allen threw a 26 yard strike that no other QB on the team could hope to make. Then apparently correctly threw the ball away on 2 consecutive plays. Then hit a WR in stride on a slant that could have been a 3rd down conversion if it wasn't dopped. This is just day 6 of his first ever training camp. It's hard to not be excited with where he's at this early in the process. Sounds to me like he's getting better every practice and always making at least a couple throws per practice that Peterman and McCarron don't have the natural ability to do.

also very excited about this. I feel the exact same way about this sequence of plays. the tight throw. the awareness to clock it away on 2 straight and then drill a wr in stride on a slant.... very cool to hear. dunno how people cant feel optimistic about allen.

I get that it was with the 3's. so context is necessary. but I still like his trajectory.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen learning to deal with QB spotlight

Pittsford - Josh Allen had another up and down practice on Wednesday. It's not unusual for him or for most NFL rookies.

He's learning how to handle the roller coaster performances. Whether it's fans, media or coaches, he knows all eyes are on him.

"Everybody's looking at the quarterback. Looking at your mannerisms, your body language," Allen said. "I started a little shaky today and I might have let my emotions get the best of me at one point, but on to the nex period. Ended up making some really good throws at the end and finishing strong."