Barnwell: 6 Teams Most Likely To Improve and 6 Teams Most Likely To Regress

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Minnesota may well get swept by GB with a healthy Aaron Rogers. Plus they play three of the best teams in the league besides GB. That's why you predict regression. 

in what world do you see them getting swept by rodgers?  i'd say the odds are much heavier in favor of the pack being swept by minny. rodgers still has no run game and the defense is still not good. he can't do it all. 

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

in what world do you see them getting swept by rodgers?  i'd say the odds are much heavier in favor of the pack being swept by minny. rodgers still has no run game and the defense is still not good. he can't do it all. 

Including one postseason victory, Rodgers is 13-6 against Minnesota and has won 11 of the past 14 games. He has completed 68.3 percent of his passes for 4,810 yards, 40 touchdowns and just six interceptions, with a passer rating of 111.7.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Including one postseason victory, Rodgers is 13-6 against Minnesota and has won 11 of the past 14 games. He has completed 68.3 percent of his passes for 4,810 yards, 40 touchdowns and just six interceptions, with a passer rating of 111.7.

past success doesn't mean future success. different teams. Our defense dominated rodgers last time so does that mean we will do that this time?  Minny doesn't have many weaknesses.  They are built to stop Rodgers with a great seconday and overall defense and have real potential for a great offense if cousins continues his great play. 

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

past success doesn't mean future success. different teams. Our defense dominated rodgers last time so does that mean we will do that this time?  Minny doesn't have many weaknesses.  They are built to stop Rodgers with a great seconday and overall defense and have real potential for a great offense if cousins continues his great play. 

Rogers is the best QB in the league (at least in the regular season), full stop, and I expect GB to win that division this year. It's a QB-drive league, and he's 88-38 as a starter from his second season onward. That's why I'm projecting a downward shift for Minnesota. The Bears are going to be a lot better too. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Rogers is the best QB in the league (at least in the regular season), full stop, and I expect GB to win that division this year. That's why I'm projecting a downward shift for Minnesota. The Bears are going to be a lot better too. 

he's absolutely the best qb or in the convo in the league. doesn't mean he has the best team. that defense is really good and can beat rodgers like our defense did a couple years ago.  at worst they split but i'd give odds that the pack lose both. They went defense heavy in the draft so that bodes well and if those guys play well they can win. but i'd give the edge to the vikings right now. 

15 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he's absolutely the best qb or in the convo in the league. doesn't mean he has the best team. that defense is really good and can beat rodgers like our defense did a couple years ago.  at worst they split but i'd give odds that the pack lose both. They went defense heavy in the draft so that bodes well and if those guys play well they can win. but i'd give the edge to the vikings right now. 

It's an interesting topic. I'm going to pick the truly elite QB's team almost every time, but I see your point. I guess it comes down to the following for me: over the past 9 years or so, the Packers have won a LOT more than they lose when Rodgers starts -- and regardless of his teammates are. The Pats are similar. Rodgers and Brady are THAT good. 

Edited by dave mcbride

I get why people may predict this, but I think we have one of the biggest "question mark" teams in the NFL. 

We added Tremaine Edmunds, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips to an already good defense that only lost one stud in EJ Gaines, who was replaced with Vontae Davis. 

On Offense,  we have a new OC, new QB, 2 new OL starters with a new blocking scheme, replaced RB2 Tolbert and WR2 (by default) Thompson with RB2 Ivory and WR2 Kerley.

To be totally honest, I'm not just hoping...I'm expecting a better offense this year.  Regardless of whether anyone agrees, most see our Defense as a Top 10 D on paper.  

If you go by talent.... we're more talented this year than last.   Howevr, our schedule, on paper, looks tougher.. but we know that outside the Pats, not too many teams are a given to be unbeatable year in/year out.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I get why people may predict this, but I think we have one of the biggest "question mark" teams in the NFL. 

We added Tremaine Edmunds, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy and Harrison Phillips to an already good defense that only lost one stud in EJ Gaines, who was replaced with Vontae Davis. 

On Offense,  we have a new OC, new QB, 2 new OL starters with a new blocking scheme, replaced RB2 Tolbert and WR2 (by default) Thompson with RB2 Ivory and WR2 Kerley.

To be totally honest, I'm not just hoping...I'm expecting a better offense this year.  Regardless of whether anyone agrees, most see our Defense as a Top 10 D on paper.  

If you go by talent.... we're more talented this year than last.   Howevr, our schedule, on paper, looks tougher.. but we know that outside the Pats, not too many teams are a given to be unbeatable year in/year out.

The D also lost a MLB that barely missed a snap and led the league in tackles last year.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The D also lost a MLB that barely missed a snap and led the league in tackles last year.

Was never a huge fan of Preston Brown in a pass-happy league, but if you want to list him as a stud player, that's fine.   I'll gladly take Lorax-Edmunds-Milano as our LB corp.  Sounds like we have some decent depth there as well according to reports from practice.

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, teef said:

meh.  i don't think anyone is surprised if the bills win fewer games this year than last.  that's ok as long as we see growth.  i just don't get the 2-4 win predictions. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I just think this team has too many "out to prove it" type players and is too well-coached to dip into double digit losses this year. While I feel like the post-season will be out of their grasp this year, I don't think they'll be too far away. I can see 8-8 which would be a pretty solid way to head into 2019 where, if we're buying into the rumors, they plan to beef up the roster with some splashy free agent signings. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I agree with you Sir.  I think it's some kind of Bills fan defense mechanism to just think the worst.   I know our record last year and playoff birth was fortunate and I think it's entirely possible we could regress in our record.  I do think, however, we are going to be a better team.  

Edited by White Linen

4 hours ago, bobblehead said:

I’m pretty sure the slightly above casual fan could come up with that list.  Not exactly skillful analysis 

Agreed. Especially since he hasby 3 teams in the AFC South improving. The Titans got swept by the Colts and split with the Texans and Jags so maybe the Texans and Jags can pick up an extra win there. But I just don't see how you pick 3 teams from the same division for your list of 6 teams most likely to improve. 

28 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Agreed. Especially since he hasby 3 teams in the AFC South improving. The Titans got swept by the Colts and split with the Texans and Jags so maybe the Texans and Jags can pick up an extra win there. But I just don't see how you pick 3 teams from the same division for your list of 6 teams most likely to improve. 

Not a high bar for the Colts to improve.  Similar for the Texans if they avoid the major injuries this year.  Saying Jacksonville will improve is a stretch.  Regression is far more likely.  

56 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Bills are a 4-5 win team this year. We don't have enough talent at O-line and WR

Well, I guess that is settled then.  Going to cancel my Sunday Ticket and book 1:00 tee times all winter. Thanks for letting us know.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Being 100% objective this year, picking the Bills to take a step back from 9-7 is a no-brainer. Give me that bet everyday. 

I agree completely. If the over/under is 9 wins for the Bills, the under will win 90% of the time imo. Last year was kind of a fluke in that an extremely flawed team made the playoffs.

There is a lot more work to be done. This team needs to add a lot of talent in several key areas. (Two in particular are WR and OL.)

• Like (+1) 1

Why don’t fans see this team being better or just as good as last year?

Is it cause Tyrod was out there winning us games? For god sakes he got benched for Peterman as a Rookie. Look at his stats.

I feel we are better under our new OC.

Didnt the defense get better?

I just don’t see the “Obviously” the Bills aren’t as good.

I have high hopes for this team, I’ll wait to see a couple preseason games to make a judgment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1