Barnwell: 6 Teams Most Likely To Improve and 6 Teams Most Likely To Regress

I made my list before reading...

I have - 49ers, Colts, Browns, Bears, Texans, and Chargers most likely to improve.

I have Bills, Steelers, Jaguars, Lions, Seahawks, and Panthers as most likely to decline.

He got 5 out of the 6 right for improving.  Jaguars - really?  Blake Bortles is still their quarterback.  You don't think the 49ers will improve on 6 wins?

He only got 3 of the six right most likely to decline.  Seahawks defense is a shell of its former self.  Lions just for having two awesome teams in their division (Packers and Vikings).  And again, the Jaguars have Blake Bortles.

Listening to NFL radio yesterday Pat Kirwan scussed a small step backward but preparing for the big step forward.   Lots of praise of what they are seeing in camp,on D and also compliments about the OL that Pat thought was looking a lot better than he thought they could.

Almost everyone who studies such things has the Bills as a major regression candidate for this upcoming season.

Just yesterday on GR-55, Pro Football Focus' Sam Monson mentioned he predicts the Bills to regress this season.

Went so far so as to suggest we made the playoffs sort of "by mistake" last year while the team was being torn down, but we won't have the same luck this year, in part because of the QB situation and in part b/c we are highly unlikely to enjoy the same turnover ratio that we had for the first half of last season.

21 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed.  As fans we want all of the chips to fall into place, but when your team is switching QBs and appears to have limited offensive weapons it's an easy prediction to make.

we had poor QB play and limited offensive weapons last year and made the playoffs. I'm guessing we get better QB play and the defense improves from last season

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

we had poor QB play and limited offensive weapons last year and made the playoffs. I'm guessing we get better QB play and the defense improves from last season

If you think I'm saying the Bills can't make the playoffs this season you're misinterpreting my comment.  I'm only saying that from the outside looking in there's a whole lot of uncertainty, and most analysts believe Buffalo "backed" into the playoffs last season without necessarily deserving it.  It's an easy prediction.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

If you think I'm saying the Bills can't make the playoffs this season you're misinterpreting my comment.  I'm only saying that from the outside looking in there's a whole lot of uncertainty, and most analysts believe Buffalo "backed" into the playoffs last season without necessarily deserving it.  It's an easy prediction.

No, I kinda got that...just getting frustrated with many here thinking this is a 4 win team

23 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t see how the Jaguars are likely to improve. I’d say it’s more likely that last year was a fluke and they go the other way.

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No I think they will have the #1 Defense in the NFL and their offense will be better.

The D is legit but I'm sort of dumbfounded by those believing Bortles is getting better?  I think they'll be virtually the same team they were last year, and they could have gotten to the Super Bowl or they could have lost to Buffalo in the WC game.

Edited by eball

22 hours ago, aristocrat said:

minny is such a good team nad they upgraded at the qb postion and get cook back. if cook is healthy he will be so good.  they do play the rams, eagles, saints and pats though so we get some big time games to see how they all match up. i have a hard time seeing them win less than 12-13 games. 

They lost their OC who was a QB guru

They won what? 14 games?

So yeah they'll probably regress to 12 wins

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

No, I kinda got that...just getting frustrated with many here thinking this is a 4 win team

Our QB situation is a complete unknown.

Our cb situation might be a mess if Davis doesn't improve.

Our oline looks like a mess.

Our wr situation is not good, and a complete dumpster fire if kelvins knee doesn't hold up.

We have serious questions and could easily be a 4 win team.

We also could be a 10 win team if the QB play is amazing.

Did you even read the article?

Pythagorean wins is one of the best projectors of upcoming wins.

We exceeded last year, most likely will return to normal this year.

He even said that we are set up for the future but this year looks like a regression while adding in new parts and QB, not addressing WRs or oline, etc.

He didn't say we suck, but that we will most likely regress from 9 wins, probably down for 4-6, but be better off in the future.

5 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Why don’t fans see this team being better or just as good as last year?

Is it cause Tyrod was out there winning us games? For god sakes he got benched for Peterman as a Rookie. Look at his stats.

I feel we are better under our new OC.

Didnt the defense get better?

I just don’t see the “Obviously” the Bills aren’t as good.

I have high hopes for this team, I’ll wait to see a couple preseason games to make a judgment. 

The statistics basically say that the Bills would need to improve a significant amount this year to win 9 games again. I think they'll likely be a worse team this year than they were last year and last year's team probably wouldn't win 9 games again, so...yeah.

We'll see though; obviously I'd like to be wrong about them; I'm just not as high on this year's team as I was last year's.

48 minutes ago, eball said:

The D is legit but I'm sort of dumbfounded by those believing Bortles is getting better?  I think they'll be virtually the same team they were last year, and they could have gotten to the Super Bowl or they could have lost to Buffalo in the WC game.

If Bottles plays more consistently they will be better on offense.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No I think they will have the #1 Defense in the NFL and their offense will be better.

I think they have very good players on defense but I think their defense overall is very overrated. They gave up way to many points at times to be considered the best. The Vikings defense is better. That division will be tougher this year with Luck and Watson back. I can’t trust Bortles. I can see them not making the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree with this. 

Id add Giants as a team likely to improve on top of those teams you got there. 

Too much talent. McAdoo was a disaster and  Shurmur was a good hire, IMO. I think Giants win around 10 this year. Big jump from the 3 they had last season.

Yeah, it’s funny with the Giants.  They were a trendy SB pick before last year.  I don’t trust Eli but they have a ton of talent around him.  I definitely can see them being in the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think they have very good players on defense but I think their defense overall is very overrated. They gave up way to many points at times to be considered the best. The Vikings defense is better. That division will be tougher this year with Luck and Watson back. I can’t trust Bortles. I can see them not making the playoffs.

Mr. Big Stuff is going to be out to prove Buffalo made a mistake.  He'll be motivated this year and that's scary.

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How can anybody assume anything will motivate him? What proff has he given that he cares about anything?

He was dominating at Bama, got drafted 3 overall, named an all pro, and through 4 years, he was on a similar sack pace as Sapp.

if, and it’s a big if, he’s motivated, he is one of the best in the nfl. 

8 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Lots of praise of what they are seeing in camp,on D and also compliments about the OL that Pat thought was looking a lot better than he thought they could.

In other worlds, he made the list before he knew what he was talking about.I

it's a fools errand anyway.  Maybe now each can move on to the next crap shoot.  How many games will each  team win.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s funny with the Giants.  They were a trendy SB pick before last year.  I don’t trust Eli but they have a ton of talent around him.  I definitely can see them being in the playoffs.

I think the Cowboys and Eagles along with having to play the NFC South will keep them from the playoffs, but they'll absolutely improve from last year.