Television Brand Preferences

H2o

We just got back from vacationing at the beach for a week on Saturday. The house had a couple Vizio TV's we'd watch for an hour or two in the evenings. They weren't top of the line by any means. When we got home and I sat down in front of my 65" Samsung 4K TV I thought to myself, "Holy :censored: this is a nice TV." It took me a day or two to get used to the quality again. We have a 55" Vizio in the living room as well that is a good TV in it's own right and my kids have 43" Vizio's in their rooms, but the Samsung I bought last year is quality product. Sometimes things look so real they almost seem fake if that makes any sense. Do you have a brand preference when it comes to televisions?  

I’m curious to get feedback here. I have a 55” LG in the family room that has a very good picture, but the refresh rate is a bit slow (I think?) as a football kind of skips in the air on a long pass. LG is apparently known ofr not having great speakers. I was told that when I bought it.

I inherited a 55” Samsung that is currently sitting on the floor in a hallway. Same size, but it came with a sound bar and subwoofer. The picture is, oddly as you note, almost TOO real? Not really sure which I prefer (I’ve never seen then side by side), but we can’t figure out how to hook the sound bar to the older LG TV. So it all just sits there....

We had a good tech guy work on my son’s media room, and I may just have to pay somebody to do something that should be so simple. I used to be into this stuff, but it just changes so fast now! 

As far as brands, I like both LG and Samsung. 

When will there be enough quality content to make a 4K TV worth while? We have one upstairs, and it’s a great TV, but there’s no content at this point to really utilize it properly. Sorry, I digress....

My last 4 TVs have all been Samsungs.  Haven't regretted a single one.  I've had my 65" LCD 1080p for over 10 years now and not a single issue with it.  Not one pixel is out.  And that is with me working from home and basically having it on all day long with MLB Network or NFL Network on during the work day.  Had a DLP but replaced it with the 65" when the bulb blew out.  And had two smaller ones for my bedroom with the first one lasting at least 8 years.  When I decide to finally get a house the LCD will go into a finished basement and then I'll get 4k, another Samsung for sure.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

When will there be enough quality content to make a 4K TV worth while? We have one upstairs, and it’s a great TV, but there’s no content at this point to really utilize it properly. Sorry, I digress....

I believe that Direct TV has a 4K programming lineup and you can watch 4K movies in various ways. Cable is always last to the table it seems. 

My 10 year old 40” Samsung in the master bedroom has a much better picture than my 55” Vizio that I have in the living room.  Not even close.  I’m going to upgrade my living room TV to a 60” Samsung 4K before football season arrives, for sure.  

Although, I will say that I have been very happy with my Vizio.  If I didn’t have the comparison I might be compelled to get another one.

• Like (+1) 1

10 year old 40" Vizio in my computer room keeps chugging along.  Granted it doesn't get much use outside of football and hockey season

7 year old 55" Vizio in my living room still works like a champ

1 year old 32" TCL in my bedroom have had no problems in the limited time I've had it, other than the remote goes thru batteries much faster than my other TVs

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My 10 year old 40” Samsung in the master bedroom has a much better picture than my 55” Vizio that I have in the living room.  Not even close.  I’m going to upgrade my living room TV to a 60” Samsung 4K before football season arrives, for sure.  

Although, I will say that I have been very happy with my Vizio.  If I didn’t have the comparison I might be compelled to get another one.

My 8 year old Samsung has a better picture than my one year old LG. The Samsung is only 46 and the 55 is the smallest I wanted to put in the parlor. I may go tv shopping in the fall if I find the right deal.

27 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You can't go wrong with a Sony or Samsung.  We bought a Samsung 65 inch 4K UHD TV last year we can watch the Bills break your heart with excellent quality.

That's the same TV we bought last Spring. It's like watching the game as if you were on the sidelines. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My Philips Magnavox 27” tube tv is still going strong after 20 years dammit. I don’t want to buy a new tv until this one dies. 

Still using a 20" GE tube in armoire in living room... It's going on 30 years... My Mother won it in 1989/1990... Of course it has the digital/analog converter from the cable company and plays through channel 3.

It's in big armoire, so nobody sees it. Who wants to see a TV in the livingroom...I guess I am dating myself.  TVs in livingrooms look tacky... According to my wife... Armorire serves as a divider between greatroom/livingroom/diningroom... Electrical/wiring is piped (conduit) out through floor with 3 1/2" EMT... Hidden in leg of armoire, one for power, other for cable, another for phone/antennas...So no wires and open back to piece, that serves as a small room divider...

That setup been going strong for 22 years.  Dust greatly eliminated on electronics, stereo rig, gaming systems, etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I've had a Vizio LCD smart TV for a few years and it's nothing special. I still have the two Sony LCD TVs I got before that and I like them MUCH better. For my next TV, I'll probably go back to Sony or try Samsung. My in-laws have a Samsung and it's really nice.

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My Philips Magnavox 27” tube tv is still going strong after 20 years dammit. I don’t want to buy a new tv until this one dies. 

I have one of those and a 42" Toshiba tube.  No need to get a new one when both work. One has a red burnout area in the top and the other is just fine.