Harrison Phillips already standing out

41 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I saw plenty of Mocks where he was a consideration at 22, I still don’t understand how he slipped down the board. 

He got pancaked a TON in college and his strength is 1v1. When it comes to sliding and double teams he pretty much gets neutralized. If they can free up space for him interiorly he can have a big effect.

As someone who knew who he was before we drafted him, round 3 was pretty much right around where I thought he would go, if not a little higher. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I saw plenty of Mocks where he was a consideration at 22, I still don’t understand how he slipped down the board. 

I read some of those "anonymous scout" quotes that fly around during draft time and the one knock on him that seemed to pop up fairly consistently was the fact that a lot of scouts weren't sure what they'd do with him as they feel he has limitations along the DL. They weren't sure what spot on the line would suit him best and some felt he looked more like a guard than a DT, one quote even said they'd consider flipping him to OL. With that in mind, I assume most teams viewed him as a prospect full of potential but not one that would be able to contribute from an early standpoint. Guys with potential that need fine-tuning and some moderate development usually end up as mid-round picks. 

Just now, Elite Poster said:

He got pancaked a TON in college and his strength is 1v1. When it comes to sliding and double teams he pretty much gets neutralized. If they can free up space for him interiorly he can have a big effect.

As someone who knew who he was before we drafted him, round 3 was pretty much right around where I thought he would go, if not a little higher. 

He led Stanford in tackles didn't he?  

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Effort level. That's why he is so good 1v1. 100% every snap - probably why he gets pancaked a lot, dude is probably gassed on long drives. 

I don't know who he had around him either as a supporting cast, he should do better in a rotation with very good player around him as well.  It's not all on him. 

56 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I love it. Just what we needed up front. 

This defense can be a top 10 unit.

The defense is very strong up the middle with the additions of Star and Phillips as well as the returning of Kyle in more of a rotational capacity, even Washington or John Hughes as a 4th option is decent depth. The team is also very strong in the secondary (Although the depth there concerns me greatly) and more importantly the secondary is very well coached. The Linebacker core is also solid with Edumonds and Milano but depth is a concern. 

The defenses fortunes will rest on its biggest question mark and that's the pass rush. Hughes, Shaq, Lorax and Murphy all could be good or they could all be busts. If the Bills can get 2 of them to pan out I think the defense will be a top 10 unit. Unfortunately I think that the offense could be a bottom 5 unit. Still I like the direction the team is headed in, good defense with young pieces in place, a young high upside QB in place on offense, a good LT in Dawkins to build the O-line around and a lot of cap flexibility coming up.

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I don't know who he had around him either as a supporting cast, he should do better in a rotation with very good player around him as well.  It's not all on him. 

As a rotating guy, I can see him coming in and making a few plays here and there. Our expectations are WAYYYY too high for him because he plays DT and looks kind of like Kyle Williams. 

I think he'll finish with 3 sacks and 3-5 TFL - decent number of tackles depending on how much he plays. 

46 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

We might have the talent for a top 5-10 unit....but it will never statistically show if the offense has a poor TOP. 

Sure it could. Elite defenses haven’t always been paired with great TOP offenses. The key is getting opponents off the field and creating turnovers. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I was SHOCKED that he was available.   He will be dominant on the inside.  And will keep Kyle and Star fresh through a rotation.   3 high-quality NT's.    

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’ll be curious to see him up against not one of the worst offensive lines in the league 

he beat Groy 1 on 1.  Groy is a solid player.   Plus, you can be that Fraizer will make sure that if they put a top guy on Phillips, Edmunds will be wreaking havoc or Lorax or someone else.  

17 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Pressure up front, ballhawks on the back, and a 6'5 255lb MLB who runs a 4.5 40.   

We don't know how much pressure will be generated. The Bills should be more than solid up the middle run wise, I also think on the edge with Shaq and Hughes against the run the team should be decent. But the pass rush is a huge concern, Murphy is coming off of a major injury, Shaq coming off a injury and struggled to get pressure in his second year, Hughes is coming off a down year and Lorax is coming off a strong end to his last season but who knows exactly how good he can be at his age for a whole season. 

Now you could make an equally strong case each player turns in a better season but the point remains that there is a lot of questions about the pass rush.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

As a rotating guy, I can see him coming in and making a few plays here and there. Our expectations are WAYYYY too high for him because he plays DT and looks kind of like Kyle Williams. 

I think he'll finish with 3 sacks and 3-5 TFL - decent number of tackles depending on how much he plays. 

I could see a few more tackles for a loss from him. I think that there is a lot of hype with Phillips that he probably won't live up to but he should turn in a solid rookie season. The main impact Phillips and Star will have is hopefully improving the rush defense greatly. 

2 hours ago, billspro said:

He is going to be the steal of the draft. I think we will see him splitting time with Kyle this year, which is a good thing because it will keep Kyle fresh for the playoffs.

Not only that but keeps him fresh for some goal line plays as the FB!!

Man that was THE best last year, that TD and then the celebration afterwards......proally burned the other team a bit but hey it was what it was......KW for 2 yards and in.......whose gonna stop THAT "Rolling Ball Of Butcher Knives"?????

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Pressure up front, ballhawks on the back, and a 6'5 255lb MLB who runs a 4.5 40.   

Glad you brought this up. My main concern is teams with a good TE and slot wr's can and will take advantage of our LB's. Our 6'5 255lb MLB who runs a 4.5 40 can help, but he is a rookie. Milano is ok, but I can't say right now that he is going to take the next step( have to wait and see) and Lord knows what we will get from the other outside lb. My hope is Milano and Edmunds do what we are hoping for and the other outside LB is at least adequate. Also, as was mentioned earlier, we need the offense to not put the D in bad situations(short fields or 3 and outs). I am going to guess top 15 defense, especially early on. Hopeful for a climb in the rankings as the season progresses. Not holding my breath, though.

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Glad you brought this up. My main concern is teams with a good TE and slot wr's can and will take advantage of our LB's. Our 6'5 255lb MLB who runs a 4.5 40 can help, but he is a rookie. Milano is ok, but I can't say right now that he is going to take the next step( have to wait and see) and Lord knows what we will get from the other outside lb. My hope is Milano and Edmunds do what we are hoping for and the other outside LB is at least adequate. Also, as was mentioned earlier, we need the offense to not put the D in bad situations(short fields or 3 and outs). I am going to guess top 15 defense, especially early on. Hopeful for a climb in the rankings as the season progresses. Not holding my breath, though.

I think that Frasier will have to scheme around having a rookie MLB in order to cover how green he is.   I think you'll see his coverage duties being assisted by Poyer in certain situations.   He'll get help. 

• Thank you (+1) 1