Sam Beal

I don't like the period between minicamp and training camp at all.  We're still in it except for the teams that got to start early because of the HOF game.  Aside from a few signings (including those high draft picks), the only news is likely to be bad news: a player has a traumatic injury from skate boarding or water skiing, or gets accused of domestic violence.  It's true that there are going to be a lot more injuries in training camp (fortunately, most will be minor dings) but there will be lots of news that isn't bad to counterbalance the bad stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

In general, NFL places way too much emphasis on muscle building and power; should be much more concerned with flexibility, especially at a position like CB.

Interior linemen?  OK, power is important, but flexibility is key to staying on the field.

These guys are so tight and muscle bound they sit down the wrong way at the lunch table and something pops.

Doug Whaley was asked to comment -- he said the Giants "knew all along" there was a shoulder issue that would need to be addressed next offseason but they thought Beal could play through it in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love and hate this time of the year.  Love football is back, scared to death with every practice we lose a key player.

I agree...this is why it is so difficult to read the predictions about win/lost record before the final roster is set. The loss of an Aaron Rodgers or a Todd Gurley would have a major impact on your season.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Except he likely would have been a 1st rounder (and at worst a 2nd) in April. There are exceptions to every rule and he is one of them.

This past April draft?  Doubtful. 

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

This past April draft?  Doubtful. 

No, the next draft. FWIW, many draft experts thought only Ward was ahead of him in this past class. He decided to go back to school and then was found to be academically ineligible. He isn’t some long shot. This, like Josh Gordon, was a guy with a ton of talent that ended up in the supplemental draft.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, the next draft. FWIW, many draft experts thought only Ward was ahead of him in this past class. He decided to go back to school and then was found to be academically ineligible. He isn’t some long shot. This, like Josh Gordon, was a guy with a ton of talent that ended up in the supplemental draft.

We can debate where he would have gone this past April and next April, but If Beal had been ranked that high, he'd have come out this past draft.  And someone would have taken him at least in the 2nd round of the SD. 

But it still isn't good strategy to depend on a SD player to help your defense.  You don't know if you're going to land him and if you don't, where are you then?

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

We can debate where he would have gone this past April and next April, but If Beal had been ranked that high, he'd have come out this past draft.  And someone would have taken him at least in the 2nd round of the SD. 

But it still isn't good strategy to depend on a SD player to help your defense.  You don't know if you're going to land him and if you don't, where are you then?

I promise you that is the type of prospect that he was/is. This was not a great CB draft. The worst we’ve had in some time and those guys always get pushed up the board. I’m not making this stuff up. Here is Matt Miller’s take: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784321-sam-beal-meet-the-best-supplemental-draft-prospect-since-josh-gordon

I tend to agree that not coming out (especially in a week CB class like this past one) was a mistake. In terms of the supplemental draft a guy almost always goes a round later than they would have if they waited. Teams are conservative. Josh Gordon went in the 2nd and is as talented as any WR maybe ever (pure talent). 

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I promise you that is the type of prospect that he was/is. This was not a great CB draft. The worst we’ve had in some time and those guys always get pushed up the board. I’m not making this stuff up. Here is Matt Miller’s take: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784321-sam-beal-meet-the-best-supplemental-draft-prospect-since-josh-gordon

I tend to agree that not coming out (especially in a week CB class like this past one) was a mistake. In terms of the supplemental draft a guy almost always goes a round later than they would have if they waited. Teams are conservative. Josh Gordon went in the 2nd and is as talented as any WR maybe ever (pure talent). 

Too funny.  I saw that take and the "top-100 pick [in this past April draft]" part is what I'm was going off-of.  But yes, the weakness of the draft might have pushed him higher.   

And I agree about Josh, but he's proving why a) he was a SD'er and b) why SD'ers rarely succeed, much less should be counted on. 

7 hours ago, Doc said:

If losing him is a "big hit" for them, they were already in major trouble.  He hadn't even practiced once to see if he was any good.

I agree.  Why would a guy they picked up as an afterthought and never played for the team has taken a "big hit"?

Too funny.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Too funny.  I saw that take and the "top-100 pick [in this past April draft]" part is what I'm was going off-of.  But yes, the weakness of the draft might have pushed him higher.   

And I agree about Josh, but he's proving why a) he was a SD'er and b) why SD'ers rarely succeed, much less should be counted on. 

Yeah, these guys almost always have major questions. I actually think that a guy in their shoes should just work out all year and enter the next draft. They can still be a part of the pre-draft process. If they have spent an extra 4 months preparing they would be way ahead and are less of an injury risk. It’s almost what Fournette did.

With that being said I get it. Why put off the once in a lifetime chance to get paid? I don’t think many (if any) would in their shoes. It would have to be a sure fire guy, clean off the field, that can afford to wait.