[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

IMO I don’t think it is.

Eichel just kind of gave him a little push. Its a play that happens 50 times a game. McDonaugh just happened to lose his balance. Probably 8 times out of 10 Eichel does that and nothing comes of it because McDonagh doesn’t lose his balance. 

I thought a 2 minute boarding penalty was all the punishment needed. I’d be surprised if Eichel faced any type of suspension. But who knows with the NHL... 

Who knows with the NHL indeed. General rule of thumb seems to be that if a league ruling benefits the Leafs and their old buddy Brendan Shanahan, the ruling is made. I look for Eichel to get 20 games as a result.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Who knows with the NHL indeed. General rule of thumb seems to be that if a league ruling benefits the Leafs and their old buddy Brendan Shanahan, the ruling is made. I look for Eichel to get 20 games as a result.

can't really say that Leafs fans have felt the beneficiary of many decisions since 1967

congrats on the great string of play lately, start storing the acorns for the hopefully long playoff run and play good hockey the rest of the way.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I see they called Tennyson up, Pilut gots to be in

Eesh! 

Don’t get me wrong as I’m eagerly looking forward to Pilut’s debut, but when Bogo is your only D man that remotely qualifies as a “stay at home” type, color me concerned. 

There will be riots if Tennyson plays before Pilut. 

49 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

IMO I don’t think it is.

Eichel just kind of gave him a little push. Its a play that happens 50 times a game. McDonaugh just happened to lose his balance. Probably 8 times out of 10 Eichel does that and nothing comes of it because McDonagh doesn’t lose his balance. 

I thought a 2 minute boarding penalty was all the punishment needed. I’d be surprised if Eichel faced any type of suspension. But who knows with the NHL... 

the most important thing is the damage to the player, Claude Lemieux did the same brainless thing to Draper and caused immense damage

it was a rockhead thing for Eichel to do, don't start telling kids they can do crap like this on the ice...

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

the most important thing is the damage to the player, Claude Lemieux did the same brainless thing to Draper and caused immense damage

it was a rockhead thing for Eichel to do, don't start telling kids they can do crap like this on the ice...

There isn't a player in the NHL that hasn't bumped someone from behind in a similar manner.  Happens 50 times a game.  Eichel has zero history of anything remotely similar.

It's whatever.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

IMO I don’t think it is.

The player was in a very vulnerable position and he took multiple strides to make the hit. If the player is against the board then without question it is a clean hit. But he was a few feet away with his back to him when he body checked the player. The player was in a very vulnerable position. I'm aware that what you see on TV usually doesn't reflect the speed of the game but in my mind it was a dangerous hit. 

Jack certainly isn't a dirty player. But for me his hit was worthy of being reviewed by the league. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The player was in a very vulnerable position and he took multiple strides to make the hit. If the player is against the board then without question it is a clean hit. But he was a few feet away with his back to him when he body checked the player. The player was in a very vulnerable position. I'm aware that what you see on TV usually doesn't reflect the speed of the game but in my mind it was a dangerous hit. 

Jack certainly isn't a dirty player. But for me his hit was worthy of being reviewed by the league. 

i am not sure either way on this one...but i do know this..

Tampa player comes over to hit Jack..i get that. But the angle he comes from is basically pushing Eichel over McDonaugh is hurt. Hockey players are so dumb sometimes

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am not sure either way on this one...but i do know this..

Tampa player comes over to hit Jack..i get that. But the angle he comes from is basically pushing Eichel over McDonaugh is hurt. Hockey players are so dumb sometimes

The player who came after Jack reacted the same way Bogo would have reacted if his teammate was hit in the same way. In my opinion Bogo would have responded more ferociously. 

I'm not suggesting that Jack is a dirty player because he isn't. But the hit he made on the player, intentional or not, is a very dangerous play. It's my impression that Jack realized that the hit was questionable because he didn't very much respond to the opposing player who pursued him after the hit. It's my opinion that after the play there was no lingering animosity from Tampa because they recognize that Jack is a clean player. If a player such as Boston's Brad Marchand with a known reputation for dirty play would have made the hit I'm confident that Tampa would have responded with a great deal of fury instead of the tepid response that was given in the Tampa game. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The player who came after Jack reacted the same way Bogo would have reacted if his teammate was hit in the same way. In my opinion Bogo would have responded more ferociously. 

I'm not suggesting that Jack is a dirty player because he isn't. But the hit he made on the player, intentional or not, is a very dangerous play. It's my impression that Jack realized that the hit was questionable because he didn't very much respond to the opposing player who pursued him after the hit. It's my opinion that after the play there was no lingering animosity from Tampa because they recognize that Jack is a clean player. If a player such as Boston's Brad Marchand with a known reputation for dirty play would have made the hit I'm confident that Tampa would have responded with a great deal of fury instead of the tepid response that was given in the Tampa game. 

like  I said, I get him going after Jack...the dumbness of the play was that if he hit Jack the wrong way, jack was gonna fall right on McDounaughs head..second hit in the head!!!

Dummy needed to skateJack out away from the corner..and Jack would have went. He was more worried about falling on the hit player than defending himself.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Did you seriously just say that this was the same exact hit?

I can't until Eichel takes a slashing penalty and you compare it to the stick work of Tim McCracken.

Edited by shrader

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Eesh! 

Don’t get me wrong as I’m eagerly looking forward to Pilut’s debut, but when Bogo is your only D man that remotely qualifies as a “stay at home” type, color me concerned. 

There will be riots if Tennyson plays before Pilut. 

Nelson is also a stay at home defenseman. I thought he played reasonably well for a third or fourth pairing player. When he gets regular play I get queasy. 

As like you I'm eager to see Pilut play. Want to see his canon shot. Up to now the Sabres haven't had the need to draw from Rochester. As the season grinds forward and injuries materialize it is going to be interesting to see who they bring up. I wonder if Bailey is going to be the forgotten player in the system who ends up be dispatched in a small deal.  

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Nelson is also a stay at home defenseman. I thought he played reasonably well for a third or fourth pairing player. When he gets regular play I get queasy. 

As like you I'm eager to see Pilut play. Want to see his canon shot. Up to now the Sabres haven't had the need to draw from Rochester. As the season grinds forward and injuries materialize it is going to be interesting to see who they bring up. I wonder if Bailey is going to be the forgotten player in the system who ends up be dispatched in a small deal.  

I forgot about Nelson. Hmm, I wonder why. Must be that queasy feeling is contagious. We need to get better at the blue line, regardless. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I forgot about Nelson. Hmm, I wonder why. Must be that queasy feeling is contagious. We need to get better at the blue line, regardless. 

By the end of the year Guhle will probably be brought up. By next year he should be a third pairing regular. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (17-7-3) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 28 vs. NSH (18-8-1) at 8 PM ET on 12/3

SUNRISE, Fla. — When Rasmus Dahlin made his NHL debut in October, a full building in Buffalo and a good portion of the hockey world were watching.

The Sabres had another Swedish defense prospect play for the first time Friday. There were maybe 9,500 people in the arena. Only a fraction of those even knew Lawrence Pilut was debuting.

Despite the disparity in audiences, Buffalo is expecting big things from both of them. Pilut showed why.

The defenseman held his own during a 3-2 overtime loss to Florida. He was active defensively and showed his much-lauded offensive instincts. He was feisty despite a modest 5-foot-11, 180-pound frame. He made a few mistakes, but none cost the Sabres.

“It was an OK debut, I would say,” Pilut said.

His coach went a step further.

“I really liked Lawrence stepping in in this situation,” Phil Housley said. “He handled himself really well.”

It was obvious Pilut had played professionally before skating on the Panthers’ ice. While Dahlin is an 18-year-old wunderkind drafted first overall, Pilut turns 23 at the end of December and signed as a free agent after five seasons in the Swedish Hockey League.

“The experience I’ve had over in Sweden helps me out a lot,” Pilut said. “I’m ready for it.”

Here’s a shift-by-shift look at Pilut’s first NHL game, which won’t be his last.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

As others have stated it's not surprising that Florida was quicker and faster in this game after we played a hard fought game with Tampa the previous night.

My takeaway from this game is that the Sabres are well situated with two good goalies. It didn't seem that Pilut stuck out in his inaugural NHL game. That's a good thing. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (17-7-3) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 28 vs. NSH (18-8-1) at 8 PM ET on 12/3; Dahlin Named Rookie of the Month