[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

31 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Is it really that far fetched what we can’t compete for the 8th spot in the playoffs? I don’t think we’re as far off as some people are saying...

I think the Skinner trade(obviously along with all of the other additions/subtractions of this offseason) has finally put them into a place where they could legimately be a playoff team this season...I'm impressed with all of the moves Bott's made because I wasn't expecting this team to be in any position to be a playoff team going into this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Inside look at Buffalo Sabres

NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 31 teams throughout August. Today, the Buffalo Sabres.

Rasmus Dahlin, Casey Mittelstadt and a busy offseason have inspired a new level of optimism around the Buffalo Sabres.

Dahlin, a defenseman selected with the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, could open the season on the top pair. Mittelstadt, the No. 8 pick of the 2017 NHL Draft, could start as the second-line center after making his NHL debut late last season.

14 hours ago, shrader said:

Sorry I missed this one earlier. We waived his NMC to come here. The clause should now be voided. 

It may be (and hopefully is). But It depends. 

The new new team can either choose to honor it or not.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#nmc

What is a No-Move Clause (NMC)?

A No-Move Clause (NMC) can be added to a player's contract in the years after they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 Accrued seasons or 27 years of age), and has the following properties:
  • Player cannot be traded without his consent (however, the clause can specify a modified no-trade clause that limits the NTC to a certain number of teams)
  • Player cannot be placed on waivers without his consent
  • Player cannot be assigned to the minors without his consent
  • Player is not exempt from a buyout or contract termination
  • The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
  • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
If the player is traded before the clause takes effect, the acquiring team can opt to void the clause 

I would imagine “it’s a scenario where” (lol) Botterill pushed hard not to have to honor it.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:03 AM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Is it really that far fetched what we can’t compete for the 8th spot in the playoffs? I don’t think we’re as far off as some people are saying...

I agree.  I looked at last year's standings and postured that if the Sabres can score 40 more goals than last year and give up 40 fewer (not a huge ask given the roster overhaul) they will have a zero net goal differential and should be right in the mix for #8.

18 minutes ago, eball said:

I agree.  I looked at last year's standings and postured that if the Sabres can score 40 more goals than last year and give up 40 fewer (not a huge ask given the roster overhaul) they will have a zero net goal differential and should be right in the mix for #8.

Too many things need to go their way in order to be in the mix.  It's a little early to expect that.  I'd be happy to see them jump someone other than Ottawa in the division.  Baby steps.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Too many things need to go their way in order to be in the mix.  It's a little early to expect that.  I'd be happy to see them jump someone other than Ottawa in the division.  Baby steps.

I really don't think so -- I think things just need to happen as one would expect.  They aren't going to legitimately compete for the Cup this season but their scoring numbers will certainly increase given the roster additions, and let's face it, the goaltending/defense won't get worse.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:03 AM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

They'll have to compete for 7th or 8th as I see the Lightning, Leafs, and Bruins as better teams in the Atlantic. 

8-6: Jeff Skinner with The Instigators on WGR (12:56)

Skinner - I feel good, pretty excited about the trade. I'm just trying to get going before training camp right around the corner. #Sabres

Skinner - I think there was some talk around the NHL Draft with teams being interested. My agent and I then sat down and talked the pros and cons about each team. There was an open dialogue between the Hurricanes, the #Sabres and my agent, and that made things pretty easy too.

Skinner - I think the first thing you think of with the #Sabres is the young core with some great young talent. Then you do some homework and talk to some players who played with Buffalo in the past, and that talk was all fairly positive about the ownership, staff, and the fans

Skinner - I know a few guys with the #Sabres right now, I work out at the same place as Kyle Okposo and Scott Wilson. I am excited to get to know my new teammates.

Skinner - Since I'm a bit older, I think I can draw from some of my past experience and bring it to the younger players in the locker room. #Sabres

Skinner - You go into any offseason and try to improve on your game. I think you have to worry about the things you can control. Once camp rolls around, you then try to prepare yourself as much as you can for the start of the season. #Sabres

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Eichel, 21, who purchased the property under his given name John R. Eichel

Huh. I didn’t know his real name was John. 

I wonder if he will invite Sam Reinhart to live with him in his new condo? 

8-6: NHL Tonight Sabres Outlook (5:04)
The crew discusses the outlook for the Sabres and their offseason moves, including drafting Rasmus Dahlin and acquiring Carter Hutton.

8-6: NHL Tonight - Jeff Skinner (5:45)
Jeff Skinner joins the the show to discuss being traded to the Sabres and reflects on his favorite moments with the Hurricanes.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On August 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM, shrader said:

Is 2034 realistic?  Good Lord.

How about just trading the whole roster to Seattle and we get to do an expansion draft?  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, shrader said:

I don't have as negative a view on their prospects for this upcoming season. I do see the possibility of them being in the mix for a bottom qualifying playoff spot. If they are contending for most of the season, whether they eek out a spot or not, that in itself is a quantum leap forward. 

Besides the new additions internal improvement from Bogo, Okposo, and one or two of the AHL graduates (Bailey, Rodriques or Baptiste) will be required. The GM has significantly changed the mix of players and he has added more speed to a slow and sluggish team. My surprise player who could make a big difference is Okposo. Having an offseason of good health that allows him to prepare for the season should make a big difference for him. Another player I will be watching with anticipation is Nylander. Even if he doesn't start off with the big club I still believe that when he is developed he is going to be a top two line contributor.  The skill set is there but he needs to mature physically before he is ready for the rigors of playing in the NHL.

In general, I would say that I'm more optimistic in outlook than you are. 

From Vogl at The Athletic:

Jack Eichel ready to help lead a locker room of new faces...

Jack Eichel has watched with increasing interest as the Sabres have made change after change this offseason.

“I think it needed to happen,” Buffalo’s franchise center told The Athletic this week. “Whenever you have as little success as we did last year, changes are bound to happen, and I think it’s a good thing.”

When Eichel cleaned out his locker following the team’s last-place season, he joined the multitudes in saying something needed to be done. General manager Jason Botterill delivered by adding forwards Jeff Skinner, Conor Sheary, Patrik Berglund, Tage Thompson and Vladimir Sobotka, goaltender Carter Hutton, No. 1 overall draft pick Rasmus Dahlin and several high-end prospects.

“We’ve got a lot of fresh faces that don’t really have the sour taste of last season and the two seasons before with them,” Eichel said by phone.

Well, good thing Buffalo already has 3 next year, then! 

Jason Botterill will look brilliant if this 2019 draft ends up being as deep as 2015 was (assuming he hits on the picks, that is). 

Ive said it numerous times, but I’ll say it again - that 2015 draft alone could have set Buffalo up for the next 10yrs. 

So, hopefully, 2019 will give us another chance at that. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, good thing Buffalo already has 3 next year, then! 

Jason Botterill will look brilliant if this 2019 draft ends up being as deep as 2015 was (assuming he hits on the picks, that is). 

Ive said it numerous times, but I’ll say it again - that 2015 draft alone could have set Buffalo up for the next 10yrs. 

So, hopefully, 2019 will give us another chance at that. 

How so?  We only had one first round pick, IIRC.

I'm set for next year's tank, in either case: Lose for Hughes! 

17 minutes ago, bbb said:

How so?  We only had one first round pick, IIRC.

I'm set for next year's tank, in either case: Lose for Hughes! 

I wasn’t very clear, but I meant if we had kept the 4 picks in the top 31 that we originally had before Tim Murray traded 3 of the 4 picks away. 

That draft was sooo deep with talent. When you look at the player we could have had at #21, #25 and #31, it could have set the Sabres up for years to come (had they kept & hit on those picks). 

Imagine if they had picked any of Brock Boeser, Sebastian Aho, Colon White, Jacob Larsson, Travis Konecny, Travis Dermott, Jack Roslovic or even Noah Juulsen, Anthony Beauvillier, Gabriel Carlsson, Nick Merkley, Brandon Carlo. 

The list of good young players available at those picks is quite long. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

The 2015 draft could go down as the deepest/best since the legendary 2003 draft. 

But who knows, maybe we wouldn’t have Dahlin, or even Mittelstadt right now if they had kept+hit on those 2015 picks, so I guess maybe everything happens for a reason... 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t very clear, but I meant if we had kept the 4 picks in the top 31 that we originally had before Tim Murray traded 3 of the 4 picks away. 

That draft was sooo deep with talent. When you look at the player we could have had at #21, #25 and #31, it could have set the Sabres up for years to come (had they kept & hit on those picks). 

Imagine if they had picked any of Brock Boeser, Sebastian Aho, Colon White, Jacob Larsson, Travis Konecny, Travis Dermott, Jack Roslovic or even Noah Juulsen, Anthony Beauvillier, Gabriel Carlsson, Nick Merkley, Brandon Carlo. 

The list of good young players available at those picks is quite long. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

The 2015 draft could go down as the deepest/best since the legendary 2003 draft. 

But who knows, maybe we wouldn’t have Dahlin, or even Mittelstadt right now if they had kept+hit on those 2015 picks, so I guess maybe everything happens for a reason... 

Man, as if I didn't hate Murray enough as it was!  :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 1

Or they could have taken any one of the eventual duds who were available at the time of those picks.  If we're going to assume that they would have taken who would up being the best player out of those available, we also need to consider the just as likely scenario where they missed on those guys.  It pretty much comes down to a coin toss as to whether or not the system would be any better than it currently is.

-The Lehner trade, there's no debate.  That pick was completely thrown away.

-With the other two picks, there is at least still something remaining from it or returns from later trades.  So would you rather have those prospects you listed or would you rather have some combination of Thompson/the St. Louis 1st/Sobotka/Berglund/the San Jose 1st/O'Regan?  That seems like a pretty decent return for two first round picks and a 2nd, especially when compared to the uncertainty of who they may have drafted.

Sabres' Eichel ready to help turn this franchise around

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Jack Eichel is back in town and was skating with three of his teammates on Wednesday at HarborCenter.

The Sabres have nine new players coming in this season and 10 have left. That means there’s a big change in the locker-room and I could just tell by talking to Eichel that he’s excited for this season, “It’s good to be back here, I’m pretty excited to be playing again, so it’s been a long summer, a lot to think about and I’m just excited for another season.”

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Good, but sad story, from TSN about Joe Murphy..

https://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-original-finding-murph~1466368

Man, this dude is 6 years younger than me...hope good things are in store for him, he needs some help

That is heart breaking.  How the NHL and NHLPA abandon these guys is absolutely mortifying.

• Like (+1) 1