Question About Accuracy

What % of the time can QB inaccuracy be fixed?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What % can be fixed?

• Very Rarely
    • Rarely
    • About half
    • Usually
    • Almost always

Allen isn't the 1st QB to have "accuracy" issues. How often can that even be fixed and how well can it be fixed?

Poll Question: What % of the time can QB accuracy be fixed well enough for them to become franchise QB's?

Edited by GreggTX

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Allen isn't the 1st QB to have "accuracy" issues. How often can that even be fixed and how well can it be fixed?

Poll Question: What % of the time can QB accuracy be fixed well enough for them to become franchise QB's?

It depends what you mean by “accuracy issues”

Some QBs are inaccurate sometimes because of off lower body mechanics (like Allen) this is correctable 

Some people don’t have accurate arms... that is unfixable

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it relates to why are they inaccurate?  Do they just need some work on their mechanics, and are smart enough to permanently fix it as people usually revert back to their old habits when stressed.  It takes real discipline to make a permanent change.

i vot d about half as we’ve seen some guys improve, like Brady from his rookie season, but as much I hate the guy for beating us for so long, he is so disciplined and works his craft relentlessly every year even to now.

Then you have TT who they worked on for three years and sat behind Flacco for several years, and still was reluctant to make a mistake so he would take a ton of sacks, or miss open WR, or only threw when they were really open which is just not that common in the NFL.  All of you know that already, although some may not agree with that observation which is you’re right.

I think any physical activity can be improved with correct practice and repetition.  Perfect practice makes perfect.

As far as accuracy, it really isn't accuracy as much as precision.  Or more correctly both.  The classic explanation is throwing darts at a dart board.  If you surround the bull's eye but not hit it, you're accurate but not precise.  If you buy ten darts right next to each other but inches away from the bull's eye, you're precise but not accurate.

Pro QB's need accuracy but if you're fairly close to a WR, within his catch radius, that's accurate but not terribly precise.  When you have to fit it in a tight window you have to be very precise.  

Let's see how Allen does.  I think his supposed accuracy stuff is overblown.

• Like (+1) 1

As Buffalo716 said... I think it's an upper vs lower body issue.

If it's lower body that's fine but upper body is off, you aren't a natural passer and look uncomfortable throwing anything...

ala EJ Manuel 

If it's upper body that's fine but lower body issue off, you learned the basic fundamentals of throwing very young and just need to tweak the lower body footwork stuff that's fixable because it's learned at a later age...

ala Josh Allen 

Accuracy issues seem to be rarely fixed and, like others have said, it depends on what they stem from.

It's well-documented in film scouting reports before the draft (Matt Waldman, Voch Lombardi, Cover1, etc.) that Allen has accuracy issues stemming from beyond just lower body mechanics. Sometimes his mechanics are sound and he still just misses. No explanation.

That will not be correctable.

How much of that gap he can bridge is yet to be determined.

Fingers crossed.

Rarely. It has to be a very clear mechancial flaw. That is fixable but even that is not an easy fix it takes hours and hours and hours of repetition to undo muscle memory. 

Personally I don't think all of the inaccuracy on Allen's college tape is mechanical. I saw numerous throws where all the mechanics are smooth, the feet are set and the throw is off. That is what I call natural inaccuracy and I don't think that is ever fixable. 

Hope I am wrong. 

Edited by GunnerBill

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rarely. It has to be a very clear mechancial flaw. That is fixable but even that is not an east fix it takes hours and hours and hours of repetition to undo muscle memory. 

Personally I don't think all of the inaccuracy on Allen's college tape is mechanical. I saw numerous throws where all the mechanics are smooth, the feet are set and the throw is off. That is what I call natural inaccuracy and I don't think that is ever fixable. 

Hope I am wrong. 

He seems to have a slight lazy eye. Maybe that's it?

image.thumb.png.83ac83081ea01272a0a02e256a29f02f.png

Is there some kinda surgery to correct it?

Sort of joking....sort of not.

Good NFL QBs improve every year, how often does a good NFL QB never improve from the college level? Every QB worth their salt will improve until they start to physically break down. Many QBs once thought as backups become solid starting QBs like McCown and Keenum.

Accuracy can get better and it should get better and we should expect it to get better.

• Like (+1) 1

Sometimes it can be mechanics, other times it can be bad hand to eye coordination, or it could be mental agility.  But if Allen is 'inaccurate' and this is something that is rarely correctable then why do the Bills coaches/front office think they can fix it?  After all, they did hundreds of hours of work and analysis including face-to-face time with all the QB's and could have picked Rosen but they still went with Allen.  

We’ve all seen enough tape on JA to know he can be VERY accurate -at times. If he’s to be categorized as a particular type passer, I’d say ‘gunslinger’. This type QB is willing to take a lot of chances because he believes in himself to zip it in tight windows. Their downside is many picks (Farve, Fitz). I expect to see this often from him. He’s still very young, so he’ll certainly get wiser and better through the next few seasons. His college teams didn’t utilize screens or flair passes much -which counts heavily in accuracy discussions. Along with his youth and his ‘fastball’ being other-worldly, it’s understandable he’s more adept to this than taking something off the pass and still be precise.

I predict greatness.

It depends on the reasons for the inaccuracy. If it is a base and footwork situation then it is easier to correct. If it is due to throwing mechanics it almost never changes. These guys are 20-23 years old coming into the league and have been playing football for 10-15 years already. You can work on things like footwork a whole lot easier then trying to retrain them how to throw a football.