Terrell Owens Declined His Invitation to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with NewEra on this. TO was, without question, a 1st ballot HOFer. The writers didn’t like him so they didn’t put him in. Marvin Harrison shot people, was a worse player and still got in ahead of TO. 

Yes, the fact that Ray Lewis, OJ, and Harrison are all enshrined makes the TO ballot situation a complete joke. I still would have liked to see him at the induction ceremony though. His Chattanooga temper tantrum certainly didn’t do much to improve his image. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

At 2:10 he gives us a shoutout...."To a team where really nobody wanted to play"

Sigh...we were definitely a trainwreck during the 2000s but surely he could have given a better one liner than that. Oh well.

TO is such a joke.  One of the greatest physical talents ever but so mentally weak.  

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

And the HoF committee came out of this looking like a bunch of complete idiots according the most people.  Sure, some that really hate TO agree with them.  To each is there own.  But he should have been 1st ballot.  2nd ballot at the very least.  Making him wait his 3rd go around was absurd imo.  Then, when he says he’s not going to attend, they decide to cut him out completely and make themselves look like 2nd graders while TO goes out on his own accord.  Loving him some him.  

Thats just how how I see it.  

I did not see anything in TO’s game that said absolute 1st ballot.  Sure, he has great stats like many WR’s from his era.  He played when the NFL changed to a passing game and he is a top notch statistics guy, never a top team guy, and no championships.  

If Thurman Thomas was not a first ballot player then I am comfortable with TO not being one.  To be passed a second time, yeah maybe that was a bit of a smack down. 

In the end TO got what he wanted, he got the most publicity of any player last Saturday.  

18 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I did not see anything in TO’s game that said absolute 1st ballot.  Sure, he has great stats like many WR’s from his era.  He played when the NFL changed to a passing game and he is a top notch statistics guy, never a top team guy, and no championships.  

If Thurman Thomas was not a first ballot player then I am comfortable with TO not being one.  To be passed a second time, yeah maybe that was a bit of a smack down. 

In the end TO got what he wanted, he got the most publicity of any player last Saturday.  

He played in the Super Bowl 7 weeks after breaking his leg and tearing a ligament in his ankle. The team doctors would not clear him to play, he played hurt and had a tremendous game. I think that speaks of him being a team player, team players play hurt in order to help the team win.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The NFL became a passing league decades ago.  And why would this be a consideration anyway?  WRs are paid to catch passes and he caught more than all but 7 other players and for more yards than all but one.  What is a "statistics guy"?  HE was a 6 time Pro Bowler, a 5 time All Pro--and this.  He caught TD passes from 13 different QBs, including Fitz and Trent Edwards.  Most of his TDs were thrown to him by Jeff Garcia. He was a "top team guy" (that means top WR to me) on every team that he played for.

No championships?  Better get Moss out this class of HOFers right now then, right? And a lot of others as well.

This is simple, take all the goofy press conferences, catfights and breakdowns out of consideration and only go based on what he did on the field and there cannot be an argument made that he isn't a first ballot HOF WR.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He played in the Super Bowl 7 weeks after breaking his leg and tearing a ligament in his ankle. The team doctors would not clear him to play, he played hurt and had a tremendous game. I think that speaks of him being a team player, team players play hurt in order to help the team win.

This is true. 

I need to consider this.  If I was a voter I would have picked him the first time around.  Most of the real voters did not feel this way. 

Our beloved QB LITERALLY refused to come here for a year forgoing his life long dream of playing in the NFL. Once again, drop the sensitivities and accept reality. Of course, when you actually give us a chance, you'll love us.

If we stop crying at every mention of the city maybe people will look at us differently...

Edited by Elite Poster

21 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Our beloved QB LITERALLY refused to come here for a year forgoing his life long dream of playing in the NFL. Once again, drop the sensitivities and accept reality. Of course, when you actually give us a chance, you'll love us.

If we stop crying at every mention of the city maybe people will look at us differently...

I agree, there is no reason to be overly sensitive to this type of thing. The drought era Buffalo Bills were the NFL’s version of Siberia.

With that said, I have no idea why he felt the need to make that statement in his “HOF induction speech”. Had the statement been followed by tales of many years as a great Bill, it would have been an endearing way to begin his speech. Instead, it was just a meaningless comment during shoutouts to his former teams. Ironically, TO’s statement may have been correct, but remember that TO was only here because no one else wanted him. He only played in Buffalo for the same reason he wasn’t a first ballot Hall of Famer, because he alienated so many people. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Terrell Owens stays true to edgy, defiant reputation in speech

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- More than four hours before the start of a Pro Football Hall of Fameacceptance speech unlike any other, Terrell Owens stood alone on a podium in The McKenzie Arena on Saturday morning, nervously rehearsing his lines. Clad in a long-sleeved Chattanooga Basketballhoodie, with stylish sunglasses to protect him from the dull glare of the gymnasium lights, Owens appeared detached and guarded as he prepared for his big day.

Then, a few minutes later, Owens took a short break, and his entire demeanor changed. After acknowledging a journalist with whom he has alternatively trusted to tell his story and heatedly clashed in the wake of depictions he considered unfair -- yeah, I'm that guy, though I'm hardly the only one -- Owens loosened up, removed the shades and smiled as he peered into his past.

15 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree, there is no reason to be overly sensitive to this type of thing. The drought era Buffalo Bills were the NFL’s version of Siberia.

With that said, I have no idea why he felt the need to make that statement in his “HOF induction speech”. Had the statement been followed by tales of many years as a great Bill, it would have been an endearing way to begin his speech. Instead, it was just a meaningless comment during shoutouts to his former teams. Ironically, TO’s statement may have been correct, but remember that TO was only here because no one else wanted him. He only played in Buffalo for the same reason he wasn’t a first ballot Hall of Famer, because he alienated so many people. 

I know exactly why he had to say it, because everything is about him and his ego, and it makes him feel greater about himself by reminding people that he was so great that he decided to go somewhere no HOFer would want to go. Makes himself sound like he is better then everyone else because he did something he felt everyone else wouldn't do. Never mind that it was because no one else wanted to give him the chance anymore because of his attitude and how he was always about himself. Even if he had been a 1st balloted, he problem still would have thrown  temper tantrum and not showed up because he would have had to share the ceremony with others, or because his bust wouldn't have been given it's own wing in the hall, or they didnt rename the HOF after him. Now he is in but doesnt get all those perks that only the 1st balloters are given for the rest of their life...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

T.O. is the very definition of a diva. Harsh words to everyone. I'm glad he was a model citizen here for one year, but God dang, get over your Chattanooga ass!

T.O. Has always been a very different and in my opinion, conflicted, human being.  This does not take away from the fact that he is a freak of nature physically and was able to use those talents to play football at an elite level.  The guy is wired differently and that is not likely to ever change.

13 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

He’s all about himself and this was his one last chance to make it all about himself. If he wasn’t a team cancer throughout most of his career he may have been a first ballot hall of famer....

If he wasn't a cancer, he would probably still be playing somewhere today. Rice played into his mid 40s.

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I know exactly why he had to say it, because everything is about him and his ego, and it makes him feel greater about himself by reminding people that he was so great that he decided to go somewhere no HOFer would want to go. Makes himself sound like he is better then everyone else because he did something he felt everyone else wouldn't do. Never mind that it was because no one else wanted to give him the chance anymore because of his attitude and how he was always about himself. Even if he had been a 1st balloted, he problem still would have thrown  temper tantrum and not showed up because he would have had to share the ceremony with others, or because his bust wouldn't have been given it's own wing in the hall, or they didnt rename the HOF after him. Now he is in but doesnt get all those perks that only the 1st balloters are given for the rest of their life...

He could have delivered a speech in Canton that showed a different dimension of his personality. That would have been the best way to stick it to his detractors. Instead, he chose to further cement the media image of him as one of football’s greatest diva’s. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

T.O.'s problem is that he never realized his biggest problem was himself. Could've just played and done his best like most NFL players, but instead always had to make a spectical of himself. I get that the NFL takes itself way to seriously at times and media/fans way over react to things, but still, he could've handled himself Ina much better manner and probably been loved by most (ie randy moss) 

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Terrell Owens stays true to edgy, defiant reputation in speech

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- More than four hours before the start of a Pro Football Hall of Fameacceptance speech unlike any other, Terrell Owens stood alone on a podium in The McKenzie Arena on Saturday morning, nervously rehearsing his lines. Clad in a long-sleeved Chattanooga Basketballhoodie, with stylish sunglasses to protect him from the dull glare of the gymnasium lights, Owens appeared detached and guarded as he prepared for his big day.

Then, a few minutes later, Owens took a short break, and his entire demeanor changed. After acknowledging a journalist with whom he has alternatively trusted to tell his story and heatedly clashed in the wake of depictions he considered unfair -- yeah, I'm that guy, though I'm hardly the only one -- Owens loosened up, removed the shades and smiled as he peered into his past.

.....GIVE HIM CREDIT...  at least his bust is unique.........

image.thumb.jpeg.61ad01f7012ff86f84af1f02c5b14236.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1