Political And Racial Agendas Ruining Sports

4 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I do not care which political lie side of the aisle you all fall on (generally the political lies and racial topics are cherry picked and are just spun differently to trick and divide us all) but the commercials, the articles, the tweets, from all parts of the sports world: I feel like political and racial agendas are taking over sports and quite honestly, are starting to turn me away from watching. I have found myself just turning off events I would normally watch with interest. I just can't take the cherry picking on both sides anymore.

Don't we all love sports to ESCAPE from these topics?  Enough is enough!

If this is more for PPP I apologize, just figured it was kind of off topic.

Sports are very American, but so are politics, racial discord and the First Amendment. 

However, I fail to see how political and racial agendas have effected the product on the field, court, rink, wherever.  Nor do I ever see how you can separate the athlete from their personal and political views.  To me, that wouldn't be American at all.  

Do we think less of Jackie Robinson and all those who fought to integrate sports?  What about the efforts to push back on apartheid?  Would Ali be Ali without his political and social views?  

Frankly, I don't see what is so objectionable.  The fact that athletes have opinions or what they say?  It would be tragic to our nation if we simply tell anyone they have no right to express an opinion because we find it personally tiresome, objectionable, contrary to your beliefs, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Sports are very American, but so are politics, racial discord and the First Amendment. 

However, I fail to see how political and racial agendas have effected the product on the field, court, rink, wherever.  Nor do I ever see how you can separate the athlete from their personal and political views.  To me, that wouldn't be American at all.  

Do we think less of Jackie Robinson and all those who fought to integrate sports?  What about the efforts to push back on apartheid?  Would Ali be Ali without his political and social views?  

Frankly, I don't see what is so objectionable.  The fact that athletes have opinions or what they say?  It would be tragic to our nation if we simply tell anyone they have no right to express an opinion because we find it personally tiresome, objectionable, contrary to your beliefs, etc. 

Because it used to be the exception and now it's the norm. At least, that's why I find it tiresome.

5 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Just because someone has the right to express their beliefs, it isn't required that anyone has to listen to it.  At the same time, not listening to someone does not mean that you're saying they have no right to say it.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Because it used to be the exception and now it's the norm. At least, that's why I find it tiresome.

Perhaps it's because you don't like what they have to say about racial injustice?  I'm not trying to start a fight, genuinely curious. Personally, if someone wants to make a statement that has zero effect on what they do on the field, it's perfectly cool with me.  

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Just because someone has the right to express their beliefs, it isn't required that anyone has to listen to it.  At the same time, not listening to someone does not mean that you're saying they have no right to say it.

Of course not, you don't have to listen or watch what anyone does off the field.  And if you don't like what they say, then you could express that opinion and/or not take action, like not watching them perform.  

My problem is that the NFL (and other leagues) want to dictate what is done or said off the field and/or purposely mischaracterizing the nature of what is said. 

All in all, I still don't see how any of this has effected the product of the game itself. 

4 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I do not care which political lie side of the aisle you all fall on (generally the political lies and racial topics are cherry picked and are just spun differently to trick and divide us all) but the commercials, the articles, the tweets, from all parts of the sports world: I feel like political and racial agendas are taking over sports and quite honestly, are starting to turn me away from watching. I have found myself just turning off events I would normally watch with interest. I just can't take the cherry picking on both sides anymore.

Don't we all love sports to ESCAPE from these topics?  Enough is enough!

If this is more for PPP I apologize, just figured it was kind of off topic.

part of the equation is that the world has become ever smaller. with the adoption and proliferation of the internet, worlds that were miles apart are now within reach of just about anyone. an artifact of this is that when things get smaller they become open to greater scrutiny from that wider audience. add to this the continental divide of political beliefs, of which is one of the byproducts of the smaller world, and you have a grand recipie for the destruction of society as we all know it.

it's an oroborous.

nice-dragon-ouroboros-tattoo-design.jpg

5 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Trying to escape or ignore politics is exactly how we ended up with our current administration. 

We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. 

Not at all. The superficial pop-culture obsession with politics is. People are encouraged to have and voice strong, passionate opinions about very complex issues that they don't understand. 

Modern political activism is less about finding reasonable solutions to real problems and more about getting attention. 

This is even worse in sports because it's an inappropriate venue, which EVERYONE understands when politics they don't agree with are brought into the game. Plus, most people in sports don't know enough about the subject matter to add anything of value to the discussion.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I may have to become a NASCAR fan

NFL is full of political content

NBA - absolutely

MLB - Yeah, to a certain extent

NCAA sports are now politicized

Golf - Sometimes

NHL - I've heard some

Soccer - Maybe not, although the governing body has political motivations

Shoot, car racing might be the only pure sport left.

NASCAR is ruled by sponsors.

Sponsors are by definition heartless.

You are heartless.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Not at all. The superficial pop-culture obsession with politics is. People are encouraged to have and voice strong, passionate opinions about very complex issues that they don't understand. 

Modern political activism is less about finding reasonable solutions to real problems and more about getting attention. 

This is even worse in sports because it's an inappropriate venue, which EVERYONE understands when politics they don't agree with are brought into the game. Plus, most people in sports don't know enough about the subject matter to add anything of value to the discussion.

To me, the whole thing would be like walking into an italian restaurant and then they try to sell you a bike.  There's nothing wrong with bikes, but you're there for dinner.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, shrader said:

To me, the whole thing would be like walking into an italian restaurant and then they try to sell you a bike.  There's nothing wrong with bikes, but you're there for dinner.

You may need that bike, depending on what you order.

5 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The media certainly plays a part, as does the current president and lame duck representatives in Congress. 

So do we. Generally, people are disengaged from politics and uninterested in having tough conversations about how to improve things. 

There is no easy answer. 

People are willing to have tough conversations, but when those conversations turn into shouting & yelling matches it turns everyone off.

Everyone on both sides need to learn to be civil and act like adults, in order for these conversations to have real meaning.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

“Dont understand”?  You mean, there should be a test to determine if you should have an opinion?  I mean, before you know it, we’ll elect some kind of reality TV star. 

So so what percentage of people in sport would you say know enough about a subject matter?  Should we give them the right to expresss their opinion?  

30 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

“Dont understand”?  You mean, there should be a test to determine if you should have an opinion?  I mean, before you know it, we’ll elect some kind of reality TV star. 

So so what percentage of people in sport would you say know enough about a subject matter?  Should we give them the right to expresss their opinion?  

Go stroke your strawman, virtue boy.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't say that it's ruining my experience as a sports fan. I wholeheartedly support athletes using their position to bring awareness to their chosen causes. I don't have to like them or agree with their personal politics but I respect that they have the right to express themselves.

Sports have been political for longer than I've been on the planet. Hell, Muhammad Ali got done for conscientious objection 22 years before I was born.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I haven’t seen a kickoff or halftime discussion in years. I avoid it mostly because I find the announcers talking to each other annoying. A bonus is that I miss any political discussions regarding kneeling, etc.  I mostly choose not to pay attention to the politicizing of sports. I’m actually an internet news junkie for things like government, international, and environmental news, but I lump politicized sports in with entertainment news, and I don’t waste time on it. 

9 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Trying to escape or ignore politics is exactly how we ended up with our current administration. 

We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. 

This!

Everybody wants too escape.

Sorry Deplorable Snowflakes, that's not what your founders intended.  They wanted you to be engaged, not absent.

Boo hoo...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This!

Everybody wants too escape.

Sorry Deplorable Snowflakes, that's not what your founders intended.  They wanted you to be engaged, not absent.

Boo hoo...

Word...."Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top." - Edward Abbey

When you finally get someone in there who does some **** instead of maintaing the status quo, you're bound to ruffle some feathers.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

20 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Word...."Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top." - Edward Abbey

When you finally get someone in there who does some **** instead of maintaing the status quo, you're bound to ruffle some feathers.

It's okay to ruffle feathers.  But don't cause the mange. 

20 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Not my girl. What do you know of my political views? I'm not getting into "what if scenarios". 

Sports are getting political because the status quo is no longer good enough, and things need to change.

Do you think Malcolm Jenkins was blowing smoke yesterday when he talked about youth incarceration rates? 

Do you think there are other factors at play for youth incarceration rates?

13 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Everyone in America has the right to say stupid things and have stupid opinions. I think we just used to be more ashamed of saying stupid things.