Political And Racial Agendas Ruining Sports

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dude you were doing so well and then you turned in Sage, Ed and countless others who got married and disappeared.  You aren't eating lentils all day are you?  Balance dude, balance.

Lentils are bad, in the legume family.  Full of lectins.  Don't eat them. 

23 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Not landing your private helicopter in the middle of the yard was probably a good idea.

I dont know about “private helicopter” but if the stock market keeps cooperating I may finally be able to afford the penis reduction surgery that no one wants me to get but that would help me walk straighter in open spaces. 

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dude you were doing so well and then you turned in Sage, Ed and countless others who got married and disappeared.  You aren't eating lentils all day are you?  Balance dude, balance.

No lentils but I may have sold out on parsnips. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

I dont know about “private helicopter” but if the stock market keeps cooperating I may finally be able to afford the penis reduction surgery that no one wants me to get but that would help me walk straighter in open spaces. 

:lol:

9 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

My grandmother used to make parsnip wine. It was delicious.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:37 AM, keepthefaith said:

Very interesting.

Sort of related.....

I've hired 2 former felons that were jailed for a few years each.  The first one worked well for us for a few months and then after the "newness" of the job and freedom wore off we saw him sliding into some bad habits, unreliability and poor job performance.  Try as we did I had to fire him for doing something pretty bad. 

The second person started working here about 2 years ago and is an absolute jewel and now an important member of the team.  A real keeper and we've been able to bring him along in terms of responsibility and compensation.  He and I couldn't be happier with how this has progressed.

Both were incarcerated but had very different experiences in prison.  The first one described it as very rough and tumble among the inmates and bragged about biting off a guy's pinky finger in a fight.  The other was one of the lucky ones and got hired by the in-prison company and worked a job in the distribution of prison supplies for 2-3 years and learned a lot.  Came in the door to us with some unexpected business skills.

Obviously staying out of the criminal system and working toward productive goals is best but I have often said that jail time for many should be much shorter, harsher initially and then much more rehabilitative leading up to release.  The person in the first example left prison no better than when he entered.  The second completely different. 

First and foremost, thank you for taking the chance on reformed felons. They have a tough time finding employment (and probably for good reason). With that said, some are legitimately looking to turn over a new leaf, while some others are primed for recidivism. Either way, it certainly helps their chances to succeed if they’re able to re-enter the workforce. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

My grandmother used to make parsnip wine. It was delicious.

What the !@#$ is a parsnip???

On 6/14/2018 at 11:32 AM, K-9 said:

This is upsetting. As it should be. And I don’t mean that towards you personally at all because your decisions on how to present yourself to your friends comes from a place of deep empathy and respect, imo. 

But you touch upon upon a subject that my sister and other educators in inner city school environments often lament and that is the deliberate lack of effort and classroom participation by obviously bright and gifted students because they didn’t want to be rejected by a less talented peer group or worse, ostracized, bullied, or worse. I can’t imagine that kind of pressure on a kid already pressured by the sheer environment he’s in. Was that an issue for you growing up? 

The whole thing is a bug out to be sure. There is a weird phenomenon in the black community around a hesitance to seem or appear “smart.” It’s considering “selling out.” That’s the dysphemism for acting like you have sense and appearing educated.

The other widely used term is “acting white.” 

Its a bug out, man. 

And there is still a tendency to feel that way amongst people with whom I grew up. A hesitance to project success for fear of being given the “sell out” moniker. 

Its almost like a racial allegiance thing.

Like black folks should own and have licensed “despair.” 

And even if you lift out from under it, you still have to pay some tribute to it as an ongoing blackness obligation. 

Some feel that way. 

Not all. 

But those who don’t are typically labeled “Uncle Tom” and ostracized. When I was looking at property in Mitchellville, people kept telling me that that’s where the uppity blacks live and to stay away from that area. 

I was reading an article by Thomas Sowell about that very cultural phenomenon a year or so ago and, though he’s an Uncle Tom, he was certainly on to something. 

Its a weird situation. 

I didnt really run into much pressure growing up because I faked a toughness and a streetness that my mom didn’t allow in our home. So I was able to avoid most of the peer criticism and get by. 

My mom didn’t allow us to use slang (“ain’t gonna be no jive talking in this house” or better [and as she’s handing us the Merriam Webster’s blue and black covered dictionary], “please find me ‘yo,’ or ‘bruh’ in this dictionary.”). 

So in truth, the pressure was from moms who went through extraordinary means to not allow us to fall into a street mentality. My brother and I primarily pushed back (gently) on her but without much luck. She didn’t buy us any of the hallmarks of street credibility: Jordans, certain clothing types, Timberland boots. 

That was the more pronounced pressure at the time. 

And plus I played sports in high school which was a near exemption from a lot of criticism.  

Edited by Juror#8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

I was reading an article by Thomas Sowell about that very cultural phenomenon a year or so ago and, though he’s an Uncle Tom, he was certainly on to something. 

Its a weird situation. 

Unfortunately Sowell, Jason Riley & John McWorter are roundly dismissed

15 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

The whole thing is a bug out to be sure. There is a weird phenomenon in the black community around a hesitance to seem or appear “smart.” It’s considering “selling out.” That’s the dysphemism for acting like you have sense and appearing educated.

Its a bug out, man. 

And there is still a tendency to feel that way amongst people with whom I grew up. A hesitance to project success for fear of being given the “sell out” moniker. 

And even if you lift out from under it, you still have to pay some tribute to it as an ongoing blackness obligation. 

Some feel that way. 

Not all. 

But those who don’t are typically labeled “Uncle Tom” and ostracized. When I was looking at property in Mitchellville, people kept telling me that that’s where the uppity blacks live and to stay away from that area. 

Its a weird situation. 

I didnt really run into much pressure growing up because I faked a toughness and a streetness that my mom didn’t allow in our home. So I was able to avoid most of the peer criticism and get by. 

My mom didn’t allow us to use slang (“ain’t gonna be no jive talking in this house” or better [and as she’s handing us the Merriam Webster’s blue and black covered dictionary], “please find me ‘yo,’ or ‘bruh’ in this dictionary?”). 

So in truth, the pressure was from moms who went through extraordinary means to not allow us to fall into a street mentality. My brother and I primarily pushed back (gently) on her but without much luck. 

And I played sports in high school which was a near exemption from a lot of criticism.  

Thanks again for your insight. And as I alluded to previously, your mom sounds like an extraordinary person. She should write a book for all the wisdom and fortitude she holds. 

While this issue is predominant in the black communities you've described, it isn't a problem reserved solely for them. It rears it's head in poor white communities as well. I am in no way making a false equivalency vis a vis the struggles of one group vs. that of another. I suspect that economic standing is a common denominator is all. 

Thanks again for your insights. 

33 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Image the royalties if they had licensed despair!

34 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

My mom didn’t allow us to use slang (“ain’t gonna be no jive talking in this house” or better [and as she’s handing us the Merriam Webster’s blue and black covered dictionary], “please find me ‘yo,’ or ‘bruh’ in this dictionary.”).

At least she handed the dictionary to you, rather than swinging it to see if you would learn by osmosis!

20 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

Its a bug out, man. 

Some feel that way. 

Not all. 

Its a weird situation. 

So in truth, the pressure was from moms who went through extraordinary means to not allow us to fall into a street mentality. My brother and I primarily pushed back (gently) on her but without much luck. She didn’t buy us any of the hallmarks of street credibility: Jordans, certain clothing types, Timberland boots. 

That was the more pronounced pressure at the time. 

And plus I played sports in high school which was a near exemption from a lot of criticism.  

I have a white friend who grew up in an overwhelmingly white upper middle class area, and has probably never spent any significant time in neighborhoods like those you described earlier, who claims this is a myth. I'm tempted to copy your post to his FB page.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:44 AM, Juror#8 said:

You know duct tape has 1001 uses don't you?

On 6/15/2018 at 12:12 PM, Juror#8 said:

Serious question: how does this play out at places like Howard University?