Political And Racial Agendas Ruining Sports

10 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

There is a hood motif - “if you want to get out of the hood you either sell crack rock or have a wicked jump shot.” 

As cynical as that is, it’s a prevailing theme in the parts of the inner city that I’ve lived in. No one extolled the benefits of academic success. You went to school so you didn’t have to see the truancy officers and the truancy vans. Not because it was an avenue to success. 

Thanks for adding to the story you started a few years back.

But I want to address the quoted above.  To me, that's big part of the continuation of the troubles.  It's not just that moving on up "to the deluxe apartment in the sky" is exponentially hard, but there's little pride among people who are left behind for those who moved on up by means other than the jump shot or selling crack.  The unspoken cultural guilt is a heavy burden that's levied on the people who rise up and out.  It's the opposite reaction to every other minority/immigrant community that started at the bottom and then rose up.   People who left the slums were revered and used as examples for children.

Perhaps Black History month should feature the anonymous teachers, doctors and accountants who simply strive to lead an ordinary middle class life.

Edited by GG
oops
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Thanks for adding to the story you started a few years back.

But I want to address the quoted above.  To me, that's big part of the continuation of the troubles.  It's not just that moving up "to the high rise apartment in the sky" is exponentially hard, but there's little pride among people who are left behind for those who moved on up by means other than the jump shot or selling crack.  The unspoken cultural guilt is a heavy burden that's levied on the people who rise up and out.  It's the opposite reaction to every other minority/immigrant community that started at the bottom and then rose up.   People who left the slums were revered and used as examples for children.

Perhaps Black History month should feature the anonymous teachers, doctors and accountants who simply strive to lead an ordinary middle class life.

Yep.  Everybody can't be Lebron or Jay-Z.

42 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yep.  Everybody can't be Lebron or Jay-Z.

A black acqauintence of mine does some community work in some of the majority black neighborhoods in the city of Chicago.  He told me that his organization a few years ago surveyed a few hundred high school boys and that over 80% answered a career goal question that they want to be a pro athlete.  He said of course that's not possible and that the black community in these areas mostly sees black celebrities as successful and not enough examples of success in more attainable professions.  As others have already pointed out, surroundings and support really matter. 

8 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

I tend to agree with your mom and I know my mom would too. But man I saw some **** that people just shouldn’t be have to deal with.

What sucked was that some parents just didn’t care and gave up on themselves and, by extension, on their kids. My mom would pick my friend Yaru up for school and he would ride with us. His mom was always strung out.

Always.

Like think Felicia from “Friday” but more emaciated. My mom would give him money for lunch. 

Anyway, it’s tough to think people with that many strikes against them should win in life without a significant infusion of care from somewhere. 

I can understand that POV. Edit:

if if you were referencing the real Ricky Ross,  freeway rick, I’ve often wondered if a guy like him had applied his ambition and intelligence to a legitimate business, what an example he could have been to his community.

Edited by joesixpack

22 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

But spend a day down in West Baltimore schools or in Southeast dc or any hood near you and I guarantee you won’t be talking that theoretical ****. But it’s easy to opine in a vacuum. 

I get it.

Just so long as you realize that it’s incomplete analysis, then I guess it don’t make me no kinda nevermind. 

Post more, mother!@#$er. 

@Juror#8

Our backgrounds are more similar than you might imagine.  My family was plunged into poverty some time right around my first birthday.

My mother grew up homeless in Las Vegas.  The oldest daughter of alcoholics, my maternal grandfather a gambling addict who had his paycheck spent on the blackjack tables before he bought a loaf of bread.  They lived in a cave he dug out in the hidden side  of an underpass.  They upgraded to a small camping trailer after a years time.

My father worked as a carpenter when he got back from Viet Nam (a time which left him with deep mental and emotional scars he's never recovered from), until the trussing of a house fell on him breaking his back.  The construction company held out on paying him restitution and tied him up in a legal battle he couldn't afford, until he finally settled for far less than was even required to pay his medical bills because his family was starving.

My mother supported us for the next 4 years on tips working in a ****ty dinner while he slowly nursed himself back to health.  We lived in the slums in West Vegas.  I didn't know it until I as older, but my mother made most of my clothes herself because my parents couldn't afford them.  Like you, I received second hand books and homemade wooden blocks for Christmas.  There were other Christmas' where I went without.

I was the first member of my family to go to college.  My work ethic and my inability to view myself as a victim are what allowed me to climb out and break the cycle.  They are, in retrospect, better than any Christmas present I ever could have received.

I know what a woat is.  I know what it's like to go hungry.

It's one of the reasons I believe so strongly in the philosophy I espouse.

The truth is that I don't expect most people born into situations like yours, or mine, to pull themselves out.  And for those who do, they'll be replaced by some other poor bastards who fall into poverty.

It's not a problem that can ever be solved for the masses by someone else.  It's a problem that can only be solved for the individual by the individual themselves.