Political And Racial Agendas Ruining Sports

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They are many factors and no easy answers. 

I was in social work for a few years; I would say family structure, education, poverty, drugs or alcohol abuse and mental health all play a part. 

My bottom line? Incarceration and recidivism rates are all extremely high, and we need to start working on solutions. 

The issue is that you can't stop policing crime, and crime needs to be policed where it happens.  Compounding the issue is, you can't have a situation where people committing crimes aren't being sentenced for racial reasons, especially given the need to work to eliminate/reduce crime in those areas.  Those individuals who are economically at risk, and are not themselves criminals, need to have safe communities to raise their kids in, free from gangs and open drug use, in order to have any chance at breaking the cycle of poverty.

In order to do this you have to get rid of the criminals, which means higher incarceration rates.

11 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They are many factors and no easy answers. 

I was in social work for a few years; I would say family structure, education, poverty, drugs or alcohol abuse and mental health all play a part. 

My bottom line? Incarceration and recidivism rates are all extremely high, and we need to start working on solutions. 

While I often disagree with the platform (I think peaceful demonstrations outside city hall or police HQ would be more impactful), I don't disagree with the messages Jenkins and others have brought up. 

And they're focusing on the symptoms, not the underlying causes.  Once you start to target the causes, the problems will go away.

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

try to do your best in school

don't break the law

stay with the woman who had your kid, teach the kid what being a man is really about in decent society

Schools are not created equal. Not every kid gets to go to the nice districts with new computers and athletic programs. 

Yep. 

Tough one to solve, that may take generations to correct. 

48 minutes ago, GG said:

And they're focusing on the symptoms, not the underlying causes.  Once you start to target the causes, the problems will go away.

Ask 10 experts on what causes it, and you'll get 10 different answers. Very complicated. 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I disagree with that correlation (and I hope you as well).  So if you don't "emote" it's more likely you have a greater understanding of civics, politics and current affairs?  I'd say it's much more likely the opposite is true.  However, I do believe that people all across the spectrum should utilize a wider array of information and resources; and a LOT more understanding as to WHY people protest.  

No, I agree with Rob's House completely.

There was nothing extreme or spiteful in what he originally posted, the bulk of which I believe to be both accurate and well-stated. Your reply on the other hand, was condescending and came off as being unnecessarily arrogant.

It was almost as if you were emoting rather than intellectualizing.

On Thursday, June 07, 2018 at 10:48 AM, row_33 said:

sports was best when we were 11 years old

1977 was that year for me

You're a Habs fan?

Figured your being in TO would make you a Loafs fan.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Schools are not created equal. Not every kid gets to go to the nice districts with new computers and athletic programs. 

Yep. 

Ask 10 experts on what causes it, and you'll get 10 different answers. Very complicated. 

It's really not that complicated. Follow the examples of all other cultures who rose from the bottom of the socioeconomic pile. 

Expert opinion is bunk.  

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You're a Habs fan?

Figured your being in TO would make you a Loafs fan.

Those Reggie Yankees and and Bradshaw Steelers and Lafleur Habs and Walton TrailBlazers and Bama football and Kentucky hoops are the ideal in every respect, never cheered for them directly though....

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I disagree with that correlation (and I hope you as well).  So if you don't "emote" it's more likely you have a greater understanding of civics, politics and current affairs? 

Unquestionably.

4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Simple in concept, challenging in execution. 

No disagreement there, no doubt made more challenging by the experts that you site who peddle in snake oil

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yep. 

well, maybe you can sit there and get people to moan along with you for your whole miserable !@#$ing existence about how you didn't get to go to a great school

not a hope in life if you didn't go to a cotton candy private school where they **** you every day and you grew up to cash royalty cheques from prior generations inventions

no point in trying, and Hillary supports this

3 minutes ago, GG said:

No disagreement there, no doubt made more challenging by the experts that you site who peddle in snake oil

Blanket statements like that don't help the conversation. 

Are some experts misguided, or placing too much faith in questionable evidence? Absolutely. 

Some some experts spot on and offering up effective solutions? Absolutely. 

24 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yep. 

Uhm, excuse me. Why don't we ask Malcolm Jenkins?

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

well, maybe you can sit there and get people to moan along with you for your whole miserable !@#$ing existence about how you didn't get to go to a great school

not a hope in life if you didn't go to a cotton candy private school where they **** you every day and you grew up to cash royalty cheques from prior generations inventions

no point in trying, and Hillary supports this

Private school has nothing to do with this.

Let's take WNY. Clarence HS had a 94% grad rate in 2016. Buffalo city schools were at 64% (interesting, they were in the high 40s not too long ago). 

Can individuals get past it? Sure, but the odds aren't in their favor, which is pretty much the point. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Private school has nothing to do with this.

Let's take WNY. Clarence HS had a 94% grad rate in 2016. Buffalo city schools were at 64% (interesting, they were in the high 40s not too long ago). 

Can individuals get past it? Sure, but the odds aren't in their favor, which is pretty much the point. 

Graduation rates are driven by home life and culture.

If you come from a broken home that isn't emotionally or intellectually involved in your education, and a culture that is hostile to education at worst and places no social value on it at best, the odds are not in your favor.

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

If you come from a broken home that isn't emotionally or intellectually involved in your education, and a culture that is hostile to education at worst and places no social value on it at best, the odds are not in your favor.

It plays a factor, but I would argue that the education system is the #1 factor. 

There are some major differences in quality of educators, athletic programs, music programs and facilities between city schools and wealthier suburbs, at no fault of the kid. 

Look what happened in Baltimore. 60 schools couldn't even heat their buildings properly this winter. Think that happens in some nicer areas outside the city ? Nope. 

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

It plays a factor, but I would argue that the education system is the #1 factor. 

There are some major differences in quality of educators, athletic programs, music programs and facilities between city schools and wealthier suburbs, at no fault of the kid. 

Look what happened in Baltimore. 60 schools couldn't even heat their buildings properly this winter. Think that happens in some nicer areas outside the city ? Nope. 

You would be wrong.

Value systems are learned in the home, and success requires a work ethic and a value system which places a priority on education.

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

You would be wrong.

Value systems are learned in the home, and success requires a work ethic and a value system which places a priority on education.

the home? 

suggesting someone actually care about the children they produce?

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The welfare state and the breakdown of the inner city family has brought about this conundrum. Thank LBJ et al for securing Blacks for his party.