Political And Racial Agendas Ruining Sports

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Some political talk from the NHL?  The only thing I can think of that comes even remotely close to that is talk over the value of the canadian dollar.

One of the snowflake NHL reporters tried to suck PK Subban into the BLM crap not long ago. Greg Wysenski who I used to like and listen to all the time, is indignant that PK didn't want to disrespect the US flag. Needless to say, I no longer read or listen to any of Wysenski's shite. On the flip side I became a huge PK fan and even the Preds when I can.

https://sports.yahoo.com/p-k-subban-says-hell-never-kneel-national-anthem-161139398.html

I don't really get being upset over it all, myself.  I'm aware of the protests/political statements.  But when I'm watching a game, that stuff just becomes white noise for me.  After the game is done, if I care about any of it, I'll look it up.  If not, my life goes on. 

Guess my wife is right about selective hearing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ifartalot said:

Just glad I was able to enjoy sports when all sports talk was about the game and how players played it.

sports was best when we were 11 years old

1977 was that year for me

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Trying to escape or ignore politics is exactly how we ended up with our current administration. 

We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. 

Hardly.  The current administration is the result of a backlash against the corrupt politics-as-usual which was perfectly embodied by the losing candidate.

I agree with the OP.  The main difference from a generation again is media turning sports into a 24x7 'news' circus.  Sports is much more enjoyable if you never turn on ESPN.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, seregil42 said:

I don't really get being upset over it all, myself.  I'm aware of the protests/political statements.  But when I'm watching a game, that stuff just becomes white noise for me.  After the game is done, if I care about any of it, I'll look it up.  If not, my life goes on. 

Guess my wife is right about selective hearing.

Was just going to post the exact same thing.  I just don't pay close attention to, nor do I care about the political stuff in sports.  I don't care who kneels during the national anthem, and I don't care who is opposed to them doing so.  I just tune that stuff out and enjoy the games.

Why would this stuff be a deterrent from being able to enjoy sports like we always have?  Not criticizing anyone who feels this way, by the way.  Merely trying to understand. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Not my girl. What do you know of my political views? I'm not getting into "what if scenarios". 

Sports are getting political because the status quo is no longer good enough, and things need to change.

Do you think Malcolm Jenkins was blowing smoke yesterday when he talked about youth incarceration rates? 

I'm not going to delve too deep here, because I don't want to drag this any further into the mud, but I'll try to neatly walk the line.

No, I do not think Malcolm Jenkins was blowing smoke.  What I will suggest is that these outcomes do not exist in a vacuum, and are not driven by institutional racism.  The disparities are usually driven by differences in crimes rates in certain areas which then demand more policing, as you tend to move heavily police areas which have high rates of crime.

It's a very complex issue, and while I sympathize with Mr. Jenkins, he's giving a very incomplete reporting.

There are dozens and dozens of systemic problems which have led us here, which absolutely include abhorrent racial injustices in our past; and things absolutely do need to change.  However I'm afraid Mr. Jenkins is tilting as the symptoms rather than the disease, and the cancer of racial division can't be cured that way.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Donald Trump (and Pence) turned the volume up to 10 when they misdirected and manufactured outrage over the National Anthem thing.... and throw another log on the fire when its politically beneficial.  Then it becomes an issue of 'taking the voice' away from black people (as well as calling NFL players "sons of bitches") for doing this.  I want to say a different administration (Clinton, Obama, Bush, Rubio, etc) wouldnt try to weld "patriotism" as a weapon and maybe try to constructively address the issue instead of getting everyone to yell at one another. 

Most of this wouldn't exist with a different president in place.  It would pop up... but it would be easy to ignore.  Tim Thomas refusing to meet Obama?  Curt Schilling campaigning for Bush?  Rex opening the rally for Trump?   That wasn't experience-ruining.  It happens, but whatever.  I dont mind/care. Hopefully it can get back to that again.  An escape.

Edited by May Day 10

In some ways Drudge Report started it and 9/11 accelerated it. Drudge was able to get breaking news out so much faster than the networks, even MSNBC which was started as a way to get news out so fast on your MicroSoft Internet Explorer. 

Since networks could no longer scoop the news like they used to, they now found themselves filling air time talking about it like everyone else and in order to keep viewers, the commentary had to be attractive or incite some emotion.  Fox rolled out the pretty and handsome hosts, MSNBC turned up the rhetoric and CNN had no idea what to do.  It was stuck between its real news history and the new dawn of punditry of Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews.  

Secondly, on 9/11 and every day since, real news was relegated to the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen and air time was filled with well-dressed opinion from commentators.  Can you imagine Peter Jennings doing a Don Lemon or a Sean Hannity bit? 

Since the reportable stuff is now just a streaming phrase, "media" needed something new to "report" on and it was opinion.  Opinion is cheap and easy to report and if your opinion is inflammatory, YOU can be the news.   

It's easier to digest because you're reacting to someone else's reaction.  It creates one of three emotions:  Joy, anger or apathy. 

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I do not care which political lie side of the aisle you all fall on (generally the political lies and racial topics are cherry picked and are just spun differently to trick and divide us all) but the commercials, the articles, the tweets, from all parts of the sports world: I feel like political and racial agendas are taking over sports and quite honestly, are starting to turn me away from watching. I have found myself just turning off events I would normally watch with interest. I just can't take the cherry picking on both sides anymore.

Don't we all love sports to ESCAPE from these topics?  Enough is enough!

If this is more for PPP I apologize, just figured it was kind of off topic.

Good post.

The problem is that it's not just sports that is forcing politics onto us it's all kinds of entertainment.

Movies and television shows have really ramped up their political beliefs and forcing them on the public as well. Look at the Oscars. They hand out rewards based on political beliefs and social messaging instead of artistic vision and talent.

It's become nearly impossible to use these forms of entertainment as a means to escape.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

In some ways Drudge Report started it and 9/11 accelerated it. Drudge was able to get breaking news out so much faster than the networks, even MSNBC which was started as a way to get news out so fast on your MicroSoft Internet Explorer. 

Since networks could no longer scoop the news like they used to, they now found themselves filling air time talking about it like everyone else and in order to keep viewers, the commentary had to be attractive or incite some emotion.  Fox rolled out the pretty and handsome hosts, MSNBC turned up the rhetoric and CNN had no idea what to do.  It was stuck between its real news history and the new dawn of punditry of Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews.  

Secondly, on 9/11 and every day since, real news was relegated to the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen and air time was filled with well-dressed opinion from commentators.  Can you imagine Peter Jennings doing a Don Lemon or a Sean Hannity bit? 

Since the reportable stuff is now just a streaming phrase, "media" needed something new to "report" on and it was opinion.  Opinion is cheap and easy to report and if your opinion is inflammatory, YOU can be the news.   

It's easier to digest because you're reacting to someone else's reaction.  It creates one of three emotions:  Joy, anger or apathy. 

This is a great explanation. 

I used to really enjoy Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN. Then Greenberg started getting ultra-political and the comedy faded. I won't even watch his new show (Get Up) because it is filled with political hot takes and Jalen Rose is another commentator with a political axe to grind.

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I do not care which political lie side of the aisle you all fall on (generally the political lies and racial topics are cherry picked and are just spun differently to trick and divide us all) but the commercials, the articles, the tweets, from all parts of the sports world: I feel like political and racial agendas are taking over sports and quite honestly, are starting to turn me away from watching. I have found myself just turning off events I would normally watch with interest. I just can't take the cherry picking on both sides anymore.

aYJoQ6QK_700wa_0.gif

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I may have to become a NASCAR fan

NFL is full of political content

NBA - absolutely

MLB - Yeah, to a certain extent

NCAA sports are now politicized

Golf - Sometimes

NHL - I've heard some

Soccer - Maybe not, although the governing body has political motivations

Shoot, car racing might be the only pure sport left.

The rub is, despite NASCAR being pretty detached from politics the overall product has taken a major nosedive over the past several years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bill Simmons has stayed relatively politics free, and kept it balanced as well with his best friend Yankees and GOP fan.

Maybe overtly, but he quickly morphed into a PC-snowflake as soon as he got famous. 

I'm guessing he's no longer advocating for having all women's sports scores shown in pink so they can be readily ignored?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The rub is, despite NASCAR being pretty detached from politics the overall product has taken a major nosedive over the past several years.

I never got into it...maybe I’m late to the game. I know it’s “commercialized” (what isn’t?) but it seems to have avoided the political virus infecting most other sports. 

25 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Maybe overtly, but he quickly morphed into a PC-snowflake as soon as he got famous. 

I'm guessing he's no longer advocating for having all women's sports scores shown in pink so they can be readily ignored?

he always was that way

he has a point about them putting up Division I hoops scores of 85-12 and pretending it's men's.

Just now, row_33 said:

he always was that way

he has a point about them putting up Division I hoops scores of 85-12 and pretending it's men's.

Yes he does....but when was the last time he pointed that out?   It used to be in every third column years ago.

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yes he does....but when was the last time he pointed that out?   It used to be in every third column years ago.

i think they do put the W's scores in a different section, they used to run it in distinguishable with the M's scores

geez, Tennessee 84 Auburn 22, War Eagle must be having trouble.... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

3 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Maybe you're just using this as an excuse?

IMO it is hard to actually find evidence of the NFL protest movement during actual games.

If you find it so bad that you don't want to watch, then don't watch!  

Lots of other people aren't watching NFL football games either.  They're still living.