California (again)

The headline should read "a total of" as 10K have already been released early.

18,000 prisoners to be released by end of August, California Department of Corrections says

An estimated 8,000 inmates could be eligible for release by the end of August, in addition to the state’s reduction of about 10,000 inmates since Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency in March, the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) said.

The CDCR says its previous “pandemic emergency decompression efforts” have reduced inmate populations system-wide by approximately 10,000 people already, to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission within its facilities.

“These actions are taken to provide for the health and safety of the incarcerated population and staff,” CDCR Secretary Ralph Diaz said in a news release. “We aim to implement these decompression measures in a way that aligns both public health and public safety.”

According to the CDCR, of the state’s approximate 115,000 inmates, roughly 2,400 prisoners have tested positive for the coronavirus, and at least 31 prisoners have died from COVID-19 related illnesses – accounting for roughly 2 percent and 0.026 percent, respectively, of the inmate population.

</snip>

Prisoners who have committed violent crimes, including domestic violence, have been assessed as “high risk for violence,” or are registered sex offenders are ineligible for early release.

The first group of prisoners eligible for early release included those who had 180 days or less left of their sentence to serve. The second group includes those with no more than one year of their sentence left to serve.

Priority is given to inmates 30 years old or older, according to CDCR officials; efforts are ongoing to expedite the remainder of the cases.

</snip>

55 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Look at those people,  no concern for their fellow Californians !

Look at that horrible older gentleman in the wheelchair. He's looking all happy and joyful, without a mask, when there's a pandemic on with upwards of 0.4% of the people it infects dying of various causes! How dare he!!!!!

Think of the children!

Edited by Koko78
  • Thank you (+1) 1

California city washes away BLM mural after Trump supporter requests ‘MAGA 2020’ display

by Morgan Phillips

Original Article

Redwood City in San Francisco’s Bay Area quietly scrubbed away its Black Lives Matter mural from a city street after a resident asked to paint a similar “MAGA 2020” on the same road, according to a local news report. Redwood City resident Dan Pease received permission from city officials to paint “Black Lives Matter” on Broadway Street as part of a Fourth of July public art celebration, according to KPIX 5. City officials even supplied him with the yellow poster paint to make the mural. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

...injected with the Schiff vaccine.................

Rep. Swalwell on new information showing FBI spied on Trump: 'They were right to do it'

'I hope they do it if a Democratic candidate ever does that with any country,' Swalwell says

Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., reacted to the revelation that an FBI agent involved in the "Crossfire Hurricane" Russia investigation "actively listened" for certain topics during a briefing on election interference given to the Trump campaign in August 2016, saying "they were right to do it."

"I hope they do it if a Democratic candidate ever does that with any country," Swalwell said Friday on "The Story with Martha MacCallum." "So, Martha, remember right before this meeting occurred, candidate Trump said, 'Russia, if you're listening, I hope you have Hillary's emails.' And what do they do? They actually did it. So think about it."

Fox News obtained a document that reflects type-written notes by FBI agent Joe Pientka after an August 17, 2016 briefing to then-candidate Donald Trump, Michael Flynn and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie "in support of ODNI briefings provided to U.S. Presidential candidates and two of their advisors."

The briefing, which was held at the FBI's New York Field Office, also included a "13-minute defensive briefing" delivered by Pientka. The document states that FBI officials Kevin Clinesmith and Peter Strzok "approved" Pientka's notes.

Swalwell slammed Trump and accused the president of lying about being briefed.

"By the way, he says in the meeting, 'Joe, are the Russians bad?' It's like, yes, the Russians are bad and don't eat glue," Swalwell said. "Like, should we even have to tell you that? ... He told the country for years, but he was never given this briefing."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rep-swalwell-on-new-information-showing-fbi-spied-on-trump-they-were-right-to-do-it

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I know it is difficult to know who to blame on something like this but I am quite sure the judge made the proper ruling based on the law. The law is terrible but it is constitutional and therefore must be enforced 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I know it is difficult to know who to blame on something like this but I am quite sure the judge made the proper ruling based on the law. The law is terrible but it is constitutional and therefore must be enforced 

Huh??  How is it the least bit difficult to know who to blame for this?

The state government passed a law specifically designed to shut down one of the most inventive and successful ideas of the last decade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The state government passed a law specifically designed to shut down one of the most inventive and successful ideas of the last decade.

Good point- I am just used to blaming the judges in SF for inventive rulings while this one was by the book. Your right the state govt is to blame.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, KD in CA said:

...here's a pretty good precedent…..happened when FedEx bought Roadway Express and created FedEx Ground, treating drivers an independent contractors...

Law firm of Fishel Downey Albrecht & Riepenhoff LLP  January 15th, 2015

FedEx Sued by Drivers Clarified as Independent Contractors

Thousands of FedEx drivers all over the United States sued or are currently in the process of suing FedEx for classifying these drivers as “independent contractors”, as opposed to normal employees—and many are winning.

Specifically, the FedEx Ground division offers small package pick-up and delivery services in the United States, through a network of nearly 32,500 FedEx-uniformed drivers. These workers all executed some type of “Pickup and Delivery Contractor Operating Agreement” (“OA”) with FedEx, which classifies these drivers as independent contractors and not employees.

Accordingly, the OA allows FedEx to potentially save money in a number of areas, including: health benefits, unemployment insurances, retirement accounts, and overtime pay. In the majority of these actions, the Plaintiff-Drivers are alleging that they were misclassified as independent contractors when they were in fact employees; thus the Plaintiff-Drivers are seeking reimbursement of business expenses and back pay for overtime.

In general, the most significant factor any court will examine for determining whether a person is an employee versus an independent contractor is the “employer’s control.” If the employer has a right to control the means and manner of a person’s service—as opposed to controlling only the results of that service—the person is an employee and not an independent contractor.

In determining whether a worker is under the “employer’s control”, Courts typically look for: (1) the extent of the employer’s control, (2) the actual exercise of the employer’s control, (3) the duration of the employment, (4) the employer’s right to discharge, (5) the method of payment, (6) how the employer furnishes the employees’ equipment, (7) the employer’s control over regular work business, and/or (8) the employment contract.

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

People here are such ***** pussies.  Mass hysteria over a 1-2 hour blackout.

These people need to live in the Northeast for a while where power sometimes goes out several times a year.

And yet the Green New Deal relies on switching all your power needs to the electric grid.  People are morons.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GG said:

And yet the Green New Deal relies on switching all your power needs to the electric grid.  People are morons.  

They even  freak out when it rains a lot.  When I first moved to CA, I went to the supermarket when it was raining (October- first rainfall of the season). The market was  empty. I asked the clerk why no one was out. She said "It's raining". I said so what.  Years later there was an Artesian well that sprung up next to Highway 101 real close to where the Niners stadium now is. Must have gotten buried when it was all farmland.  Just a thin layer of water trickling across the lanes.  The traffic slowed down from the usual 70-75 to a crawl. If I went through there with no traffic, I would do 65-70. they had to close the highway on a Sunday to cap the well.

32 minutes ago, Wacka said:

They even  freak out when it rains a lot.  When I first moved to CA, I went to the supermarket when it was raining (October- first rainfall of the season). The market was  empty. I asked the clerk why no one was out. She said "It's raining". I said so what.  Years later there was an Artesian well that sprung up next to Highway 101 real close to where the Niners stadium now is. Must have gotten buried when it was all farmland.  Just a thin layer of water trickling across the lanes.  The traffic slowed down from the usual 70-75 to a crawl. If I went through there with no traffic, I would do 65-70. they had to close the highway on a Sunday to cap the well.

Many years ago when I was at Fort Gordon in Georgia it technically snowed. Somewhere between a "dusting" and 1/4". Locals panicked and I even saw some putting chains on their vehicles. How they even had chains in the first place was a mystery. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

....and they're STILL "in the dark"....SMH............

3. West Coast Blackout (1982)

High winds were the cause of this major blackout along the coast of the Western United States. On December 22, these winds knocked a key transmission tower into a line tower causing 3 other towers to fail. More problems occurred when communication issues prevented control instructions from being passed along to workers. Even backup plans failed due to the fact that equipment wasn?t configured to handle such an incredible failure.

It was estimated that around 2 million businesses and homes went without electricity during the blackout, affecting people in San Fransisco and San Diego and all the way to Las Vegas, Nevada.

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Many years ago when I was at Fort Gordon in Georgia it technically snowed. Somewhere between a "dusting" and 1/4". Locals panicked and I even saw some putting chains on their vehicles. How they even had chains in the first place was a mystery. 

I have a good friend in GA who told me they freak out when it snows there and understandably so.  They have no means of removing the snow and ice.  And all of us from WNY know all too well snow's easy.  Ice?  Not so much. 

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I have a good friend in GA who told me they freak out when it snows there and understandably so.  They have no means of removing the snow and ice.  And all of us from WNY know all too well snow's easy.  Ice?  Not so much. 

...same with Seattle due to the city terrain.....virtual shutdown for 1-2 inches.....we still get our regularly expected 110"+ in Roch-Cha-Cha.....MAJOR ice?....1991 I was without power for 9 days.....2003 was not that bad............

47 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Snow and ice is like comparing apples to pipe wrenches. 

53 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and they're STILL "in the dark"....SMH............

3. West Coast Blackout (1982)

High winds were the cause of this major blackout along the coast of the Western United States. On December 22, these winds knocked a key transmission tower into a line tower causing 3 other towers to fail. More problems occurred when communication issues prevented control instructions from being passed along to workers. Even backup plans failed due to the fact that equipment wasn?t configured to handle such an incredible failure.

It was estimated that around 2 million businesses and homes went without electricity during the blackout, affecting people in San Fransisco and San Diego and all the way to Las Vegas, Nevada.

I have no recollection of this and I lived in Ventura at the time.

15 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Snow and ice is like comparing apples to pipe wrenches. 

I have no recollection of this and I lived in Ventura at the time.

...interesting...pretty sure Trump did it so there should have been MAJOR MSM coverage.....................