California (again)

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

MAKE CALIFORNIA GREAT AGAIN: 

Why Uber and Lyft Are about to Shut down All Operations in California.

This Friday, Uber and Lyft will have to entirely shut down operations in California.

Sadly, this was preventable.

I am not a fan of Uber or Lyft- I do think they shortchange their drivers- but it is amazing to see people not understand that these kind of rulings will squash new technology and innovation. The reason the state is upset is that the State is not getting there cut of employee taxes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Someone tried to file for unemployment using my info....apparently UI fraud is spiking with COVID.

So I dutifully call the CA EDD Fraud hotline.....after a nice long intro message about all sorts of bullsh--, the recording says that 'due to COVID, there is no one to take your call.  You can leave a msg but we won't call you back'.  Apparently the Government Paper Shufflers International Union has all the state employees sitting at home collecting full pay and bennies while no one puts any effort in combating the surge in fraud.   Solid work Gavin!

42 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

So I dutifully call the CA EDD Fraud hotline.....after a nice long intro message about all sorts of bullsh--, the recording says that 'due to COVID, there is no one to take your call.  You can leave a msg but we won't call you back'.  Apparently the Government Paper Shufflers International Union has all the state employees sitting at home collecting full pay and bennies while no one puts any effort in combating the surge in fraud.   Solid work Trump!

FTFY!  Because, ya know.

IF YOU WATCH SPORTS TO GET AWAY FROM POLITICS, YOU’RE OUT OF LUCK:

California pro sports teams are falling all over themselves to endorse Prop 16, which would repeal Prop 209 from the California Constitution, thus allowing the state to grant preferential treatment on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, and national origin.  

Friends of mine with a sense of humor have answered back with a petition demanding that these teams to allocate 15% of their positions to Asian Americans.  (Asian Americans are about 15% of the California population.)  Go ahead, sign it.  You know you want to.

The Federalist reported, "Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California is affirmed in its right to host indoor worship services after a Los Angeles County Superior Court ruled that there is no court order preventing it. The ruling comes just a mere week after an emergency order enacted by the California Court of Appeals made it again illegal for the church to meet indoors."

Closing churches for 5 months has nothing to do with covid 19, and everything to do with the Little Napoleon California elected as governor.

The judge upheld the Constitution.

The Scorekeeper says: GOOD.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BillStime said:

Trump to California:

CLEAN YOUR FLOORS

You can always count on competent leadership from QTrump in a time of crisis.

Trump blames California for wildfires, tells state 'you gotta clean your floors'

As much as I despise responding to your dumb ass I'd like to point out that yes, getting rid of dead fall and creating firebreaks is a tried and true way of reducing the damage caused by forest fires. One of the ways to stop a fire in its tracks is to take away its fuel. There are other ways to prevent forest fires but don't ask environmental groups why they have successfully fought against trimming tree branches around power lines in California. 

You sarcastically smear Trump regarding his leadership in a crises. WTF is wrong with you? He calls for preventive measures to ameliorate damage done in fire season and you mock him because some political hack writer creates a piss poor article trying to defend the idiots in California? As usual, you offer this forum nothing more than dumbassery. 

• Like (+1) 2

A California firefighter’s wallet was stolen out of his work vehicle and his bank account was drained while he was battling a blaze, officials said. It was the latest robbery to occur amid fear and panic over wildfires in Santa Cruz.

“It’s absolutely disgusting behavior, I can’t, frankly, I can’t believe that somebody would actually have the nerve to break into a firefighter’s vehicle or enter their vehicle to steal something from them when they’re there to protect the community. Honestly it blows me away,” Chief Deputy Chris Clark with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office said during a press conference on Sunday.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:10 AM, 3rdnlng said:

As much as I despise responding to your dumb ass I'd like to point out that yes, getting rid of dead fall and creating firebreaks is a tried and true way of reducing the damage caused by forest fires. One of the ways to stop a fire in its tracks is to take away its fuel. There are other ways to prevent forest fires but don't ask environmental groups why they have successfully fought against trimming tree branches around power lines in California. 

You sarcastically smear Trump regarding his leadership in a crises. WTF is wrong with you? He calls for preventive measures to ameliorate damage done in fire season and you mock him because some political hack writer creates a piss poor article trying to defend the idiots in California? As usual, you offer this forum nothing more than dumbassery. 

Why bother asking that when instead you can just sue PG&E for not trimming the trees.....that you banned them from trimming.  :wacko:

“Peterson contends his trial was flawed for multiple reasons, beginning with the unusual amount of pretrial publicity that surrounded the case,” the court said. “We reject Peterson’s claim that he received an unfair trial as to guilt and thus affirm his convictions for murder.”

But the justices said the trial judge “made a series of clear and significant errors in jury selection that, under long-standing United States Supreme Court precedent, undermined Peterson’s right to an impartial jury at the penalty phase.”

{snip}

But the justices found that even had the trial court rejected some of the evidence that Peterson challenged at trial and on appeal, “there was considerable other circumstantial evidence incriminating Peterson.”

Among them is that the bodies washed ashore 90 miles (145 kilometers) from their home but near where Peterson admitted he was fishing when they disappeared. He also researched ocean currents, bought a boat without telling anyone, and couldn’t explain what type of fish he was trying to catch that day.

Moreover, in the weeks following her disappearance, but before the bodies washed ashore, he sold his wife’s car, looked into selling their house, and turned the baby nursery into a storage room.

Those steps alone, the justices said, “indicated he already knew Laci and Conner were never coming back.”

21 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

He'll be released next week because of 'COVID concerns'.

...typical....trial judge has to make fairly snap decisions on the fly......Appeals Court is a panel that gets to study the transcript in methodical detail.......hardly a level playing field IMO.....

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

MORE MONEY FOR BIG LABOR:

That’s what California’s assault on Uber, Lyft and the gig economy is all about, forcing independent contractors to unionize.

AB5 is the most offensive result of unions buying politicians. I'm stunned at how aggressive the politicians are trying to force Uber and Lyft to change their business model to placate the Purple People Beaters (SEIU) and others. 

It's disappointing and yet gratifying to see Uber and Lyft call their bluff to the extent that they both got a stay from a judge for a bit. But it won't fix things. The reality is that 10s, if not 100s of thousands, of Californians -- especially elder residents -- use Uber and Lyft to get to/from airport, grocery stores, doctors, pharmacies, etc. Not to mention the number of drunk drivers they keep off the road. All of it a very affordable pricing.

But that doesn't work for the unions, so they push laws to hurt your local contractors because they don't have enough cash to stuff in the pockets of people like Linda Sanchez, who already made Elon Musk begin plans to move from CA to Texas.

Edited by IDBillzFan

More of the same: Californians Moving To Arizona In Droves

After nearly a decade of one-party rule, the once-Golden State is tarnished, possibly beyond repair. Listing all the problems facing our neighbors across the Colorado River would require several books, so I’ll only highlight a few.

The fifth-largest economy in the world and home to many of the greatest technology companies on Earth can’t keep the lights on. The state’s three largest utilities turned off power to more than 410,000 homes and businesses last Friday, then again to half as many Saturday.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I need a Lamborghini! 

...be picky BG...what model so we can assess your tastes???.............Aventador perhaps?....

...LMAO....I could comment aplenty but don't want a ban.....YOU fill in the blanks with this one.................

California bill to form reparations task force advances after 33-3 state Senate vote

The panel would study the effects slavery had on California -- and recommend compensation

State senators in California overwhelmingly supported setting up a task force to study potential reparations for slavery in a bipartisan vote Saturday.

The panel would study the effects slavery had on California and recommend to the legislature no later than 2023 what type of compensation would be appropriate, how it might be dispersed and who could be eligible to receive it.

The task force could also recommend other forms of redress besides money.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-bill-to-form-reparations-task-force-advances-after-33-3-state-senate-vote

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...be picky BG...what model so we can assess your tastes???.............Aventador perhaps?....

...LMAO....I could comment aplenty but don't want a ban.....YOU fill in the blanks with this one.................

California bill to form reparations task force advances after 33-3 state Senate vote

The panel would study the effects slavery had on California -- and recommend compensation

State senators in California overwhelmingly supported setting up a task force to study potential reparations for slavery in a bipartisan vote Saturday.

The panel would study the effects slavery had on California and recommend to the legislature no later than 2023 what type of compensation would be appropriate, how it might be dispersed and who could be eligible to receive it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-bill-to-form-reparations-task-force-advances-after-33-3-state-senate-vote

The pride they take in being ignorant is amazing. California was a haven for runaway slaves who could get there and once slavery ended former slaves went there to be left alone. California has more blacks and minorities who can not get educated than at any time their past.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The pride they take in being ignorant is amazing. California was a haven for runaway slaves who could get there and once slavery ended former slaves went there to be left alone. California has more blacks and minorities who can not get educated than at any time their past.

...60 BIL in the red and growing expecting a Fed bailout.....take THAT phone off the hook....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I think they've solved racism! California leading the way.  Just a note - California was always a free state.

8 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I think they've solved racism! California leading the way.  Just a note - California was always a free state.

..precisely...for those NOT entitled to at the expense of their hard working, tax paying residents.....

55 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I'm sure they'll come to that conclusion after the state spends millions on salaries for the no-show jobs this commission will create.