Are we expecting a spending spree next year?

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

All 3 of those guys are in their last year of their contracts in 2019.  The only way to restructure is to sign them to extensions.

I could see 1 or 2 being cut if they don't perform well this year.  Personally I would like to see all 3 have great seasons but that is probably just

wishful thinking.

Even though I like all three of them, I believe that after this year it might be difficult to justify their salaries.  18 million in extra cap dollars, and the 2019 draft might make them expendable.

15 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

Even though I like all three of them, I believe that after this year it might be difficult to justify their salaries.  18 million in extra cap dollars, and the 2019 draft might make them expendable.

All 3 will be 30 next year.  Hughes may have a resurgent year with a better pass rush from the rest of the D.  He had a lot of pressures but it would

be nice to see him get back to 10 sacks again.  If he has a good year I can see them keeping him around.  10 million for a DE is not that bad.

An argument can be made that Clay isn't playing up to his contract but again I want to see him in the new offense.

Shady is/has been the offense.  30 is old for a RB but he does bring a lot to the table.

Having control of the cap does allow a team to pay some older players more than maybe they should,  but having consistency and leadership

is big too.  I see what you mean and can agree with it in theory but I will wait and see how all 3 play this year before deciding about next year.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

All 3 will be 30 next year.  Hughes may have a resurgent year with a better pass rush from the rest of the D.  He had a lot of pressures but it would

be nice to see him get back to 10 sacks again.  If he has a good year I can see them keeping him around.  10 million for a DE is not that bad.

An argument can be made that Clay isn't playing up to his contract but again I want to see him in the new offense.

Shady is/has been the offense.  30 is old for a RB but he does bring a lot to the table.

Having control of the cap does allow a team to pay some older players more than maybe they should,  but having consistency and leadership

is big too.  I see what you mean and can agree with it in theory but I will wait and see how all 3 play this year before deciding about next year.

It’s kind of hard to live up to contract #s in receiving when your QB throws the fewest passes in the league

not to mention using all of his weapons properly

Often he would  ignore them for nearly half a game and checkdowns. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s kind of hard to live up to contract #s in receiving when your QB throws the fewest passes in the league

not to mention using all of his weapons properly

Often he would  ignore them for nearly half a game and checkdowns. 

LOL, that's why instead of bring up a subject that "dare not speak it's name", I said "I want to see him in the new offense".

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

dare i say lev bell if we release  mccoy and pitt doesnt get a long term deal done this year.

I love greatness, but I hate difficult “me-centric” players and I have my doubts about paying so much for a RB when other teams find great and cheap 3rd round guys fairly regularly. But maybe that’s just me. 

• Like (+1) 1

I definetly see them being active in 2019 and 2020 free agencies. Teams have to spend a % or there available cap each year.

In 2019 I see them focusing on upgrading Oline and wr core. In 2020 looking for needs and extended young core.

Possible transactions:

- After 2018 season I could see them extending young guys (Dawkins, Zay and Milano). Note: This would be the year before final year(2020) for each mentioned player and I would do this only for core players that have been producing (i.e. Dawkins so far in there careers) otherwise play the wait and see game. Tre Da’ has option for 5th year being 2021 in the 4th year 2020.

- After 2018 season if Mccoy shows no sign of lossing a step I could see them restructur- ing his contract to get Afew more years out of him. Note: Drafting a rb to replace him will be addressed in the next 2 drafts.

- After 2019 season I could see them restructuring Murphies contract.

Upcoming Free Agents:

- 2019 offseason: Main guys KB, Groy, Schmidt, A. Davis ( he just doesn’t seem to fit in but we will see) Role Players: John Miller, Alexander, Newhouse, Mills, Pitts.

- 2020 offseason: Main Mccoy, Clay, Mcarron, Hughes and HouseMoney.2020 offseason no big time free agents and 2021 offseason this is when the young core from 2017 need extended.

So yes they will be active in 2019 free agency. A rebuild involves free agency and draft. Via free agency I see a couple big names for the oline and a couple wrs to add to the wr core will work wonders. 

Note: same applies to 2020 but this is when I see them extended more of there own young guys.

5 hours ago, mschifano said:

I definetly see them being active in 2019 and 2020 free agencies. Teams have to spend a % or there available cap each year.

In 2019 I see them focusing on upgrading Oline and wr core. In 2020 looking for needs and extended young core.

Possible transactions:

- After 2018 season I could see them extending young guys (Dawkins, Zay and Milano). Note: This would be the year before final year(2020) for each mentioned player and I would do this only for core players that have been producing (i.e. Dawkins so far in there careers) otherwise play the wait and see game. Tre Da’ has option for 5th year being 2021 in the 4th year 2020.

- After 2018 season if Mccoy shows no sign of lossing a step I could see them restructur- ing his contract to get Afew more years out of him. Note: Drafting a rb to replace him will be addressed in the next 2 drafts.

- After 2019 season I could see them restructuring Murphies contract.

Upcoming Free Agents:

- 2019 offseason: Main guys KB, Groy, Schmidt, A. Davis ( he just doesn’t seem to fit in but we will see) Role Players: John Miller, Alexander, Newhouse, Mills, Pitts.

- 2020 offseason: Main Mccoy, Clay, Mcarron, Hughes and HouseMoney.2020 offseason no big time free agents and 2021 offseason this is when the young core from 2017 need extended.

So yes they will be active in 2019 free agency. A rebuild involves free agency and draft. Via free agency I see a couple big names for the oline and a couple wrs to add to the wr core will work wonders. 

Note: same applies to 2020 but this is when I see them extended more of there own young guys.

I am pretty sure you can't extend draft picks until after their 3rd year. 

18 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Maybe I’m just concerned because of how much Watkins just got paid? I’m not sure. Yes he would be a good addition though. 

Overpaying for a WR is better than a lot of other possibilities but would you overpay for two of them? What if Benjamin plays well enough and stays healthy? Then Diggs wants Watkins type money at minimum? 

Assuming Allen is the guy this is the best chance while he is on a rookie contract to be able to spend to put guys around him. You will have to overpay but the Eagles did with Alshon Jefferey and it worked out fine.

Good explanation for amount of cap spending

Requirements: 89% in Cash Spending from 2017-2020

The 89% rule does not apply to a single season, but rather a span of four years. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the Browns spend less than 89% in 2017, or if they spend less than 89% in 2018. By the end of the 2020 season, though, the cumulative spending from 2017-2020 must be at least 89%. Therefore, if the Browns spend very little in 2017 and 2018, in order to meet the requirement in 2020, they would have been basically forced to spend a lot of money in 2019 and 2020.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/3/7/14822462/cleveland-browns-salary-cap-understanding-the-89-cash-spending-requirement

2 minutes ago, mileena said:

No, he still has three years left.

..three expensive ones as well.............

..."signed a five-year extension worth $71.25 million in 2015 and still has three years and $34.43 million left on the deal."....

On 6/1/2018 at 1:00 AM, NickelCity said:

Praying they build a monster OLine. We habitually ignore it.

I wouldn't say they've ignored it. They've drafted and signed OL regularly over the last decade. Drafted solid players like Wood, Glenn, and Dawkins, signed Incognito, those three helped the team lead the league in rushing in '15/'16. They've added other pieces along the way and have tried to sign other high tier FAs like Rick Wagner last year and Bryan Bulaga a couple years before that. 

I think a lot of fans are nervous that the OL is gonna have a rough year because of all the losses but that's business in the NFL. Might take some time but I think they'll be alright. 

8 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..three expensive ones as well.............

..."signed a five-year extension worth $71.25 million in 2015 and still has three years and $34.43 million left on the deal."....

That's $11.5M/year.  Not that bad.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:29 AM, ScottLaw said:

Extend who? They have no player worth paying loads of cash to for an extension.

I expect them to be aggressive in FA next year on offense because they will absolutely need to be, IMO. They'll have the money to do it. 

Correction. They will have the cap space to go after premium FA...Doesn't mean the Pegulas will put $90M plus into the team in one shot!!!

On 5/31/2018 at 11:05 PM, Augie said:

Just imagine if we could spend our cap space on tailgating

OK, that would probably end badly...... 

For 70,000 fans that would work out to $1285.71 each ;)