Eric Wood, 6/1 cut & Roster Addition

I think the reports of them taking the whole $10+ million cap hit this year are premature. If they waited until after 4:00 PM to release him it's technically a post June 1st move. If they were going to do it before June 1st they wouldn't have waited until the last minute.

Not that it's that important either way.

Edited by Tuco

20 hours ago, Doc said:

A player who retires is required to pay back the unamortized SB if the team requests it, but typically they don't.  However in this case, he's getting his 2018 $5M salary fully guaranteed, which isn't typical.  I suppose that Wood could say he's not retiring, but he basically said that he has to retire.  It will be interesting to see which way this goes. 

Typically they don’t? Do tell, what kind of split is there on that?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Taking the Full dead hit this year. Smart. Have the room clear that cap for 2019. They have the room to take the hit on this year and do it. No reason to punt that dead into 2019

I disagree always. Just don’t spend the money and roll it over. But if an opportunity or need arises at least you have the flexibility.

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think the reports of them taking the whole $10+ million cap hit this year are premature. If they waited until after 4:00 PM to release him it's technically a post June 1st move. If they were going to do it before June 1st they wouldn't have waited until the last minute.

As I see it the only savings are about 2.4 mil this year which gets pushed into next years cap. We have 17 mil in space before Allen right now which shouldn’t be a Ton of money. We’d be going into the summer with 12 mil or so which is nice unless they are thinking of making a splash

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does this mean the same things as we have been speaking about ?

and who the heck wrote that contract ? feels like a semi poor idea to guarantee this money ?

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I suspect they are more interested in the cap space than the actual money

"Cash" might have been figurative here ?? for MajBob ?
and this might be sarcastic humor i missed ?

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Does this mean the same things as we have been speaking about ?

and who the heck wrote that contract ? feels like a semi poor idea to guarantee this money ?

"Cash" might have been figurative here ?? for MajBob ?
and this might be sarcastic humor i missed ?

I have no idea.  This whole situation is so bizarre. I’m going to rely on Fitz roast for the closest “correct story” 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I have no idea.  This whole situation is so bizarre. I’m going to rely on Fitz roast for the closest “correct story” 

I did watch that !

must see for Us Fans btw.

very goofy what the WoodMan was doing, or his agent was.

17 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

As I see it the only savings are about 2.4 mil this year which gets pushed into next years cap. We have 17 mil in space before Allen right now which shouldn’t be a Ton of money. We’d be going into the summer with 12 mil or so which is nice unless they are thinking of making a splash

Right. It would actually be better to push it back to next year. That way it's extra space this year in case of emergency. But if you don't use it it just rolls over and cancels itself out next year.

The whole June 1st rule was invented before teams were allowed to roll unused cap over from year to year. It's not really that big of a deal any more.

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I believe if he was "active" his cap hit was lower during the lead up to the draft and UFA period.  They basically waited until the last minute to cut him so that he would still only count towards 2018 - but left the option to move some to 2019 if they needed the cap space.  Almost 47 million dead money.... 

13 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I believe if he was "active" his cap hit was lower during the lead up to the draft and UFA period.  They basically waited until the last minute to cut him so that he would still only count towards 2018 - but left the option to move some to 2019 if they needed the cap space.  Almost 47 million dead money.... 

I see what you're saying and it sure could be. Still, they could have just given themselves the extra room this year in case of emergency and just roll it over to next year if they didn't use it. Or maybe there's something in the settlement that was reached that didn't get agreed to until the last minute. Time will tell I guess. Either way I don't think it's a big deal.

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Oh now wait.  Wawrow also reported this "injury settlement" so I'm sure it's legit.  Does that mean they negotiated something about his contract?

Because unlike what we hear as "injury settlement" when a young player is released, there's nothing to settle - he has his contract, they release him, it says what they pay.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where do you live? The “s” on the end of Kroger is intriguing. Midwest?

Krogers, Kroger? who gives a rats ass I live in Canada,we don't even have them up here ;)

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh now wait.  Wawrow also reported this "injury settlement" so I'm sure it's legit.  Does that mean they negotiated something about his contract?

Because unlike what we hear as "injury settlement" when a young player is released, there's nothing to settle - he has his contract, they release him, it says what they pay.

I was wondering the same thing... 

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's rural Georgia as well.  My in laws are from a small town in north Georgia and they call it "Krogers" as well.

They either shop at "Krogers" or Piggly Wiggly.  

I used to go to food lion in SC 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's rural Georgia as well.  My in laws are from a small town in north Georgia and they call it "Krogers" as well.

They either shop at "Krogers" or Piggly Wiggly.  

Lots of people in Ohio call it Krogers. We also have “Meijers” :lol: