Roseanne Canceled

7 minutes ago, Andrew in CA said:

I really think the statement speaks for itself as abhorrent and is not a political statement.  

What's much worse that's been said about President Trump?  Do you have examples?

Kathy Griffin.jpg

1 minute ago, Andrew in CA said:

OK, but that doesn't really answer my question.  Which "comedians" posted these images?  And they still have jobs?  And how is this "MUCH worse" -- it's nearly the exact same thing.

See White House correspondent dinner.

Here's one from Wanda Sykes:

In this case, Google is your friend. Start googling "Trump jokes".

And again, Valerie Jarett is NOT black (she is Iranian, which is caucasian so that lets out "racist" based on color for most people), and Muslim is NOT a race. 

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

See White House correspondent dinner.

Here's one from Wanda Sykes:

In this case, Google is your friend. Start googling "Trump jokes".

And again, Valerie Jarett is NOT black (she is Iranian, which is caucasian so that lets out "racist" based on color for most people), and Muslim is NOT a race. 

I don't think calling someone a m-f'r is as bad as comparing a black woman to an ape.  Maybe it's differences of degrees.  And didn't everyone lose their collective **** over the woman at the correspondent dinner?

Jarett is black.  She was born in Iran but both her parents are African-American.

1 minute ago, Andrew in CA said:

I don't think calling someone a m-f'r is as bad as comparing a black woman to an ape.  Maybe it's differences of degrees.  And didn't everyone lose their collective **** over the woman at the correspondent dinner?

Jarett is black.  She was born in Iran but both her parents are African-American.

But you asked who was still employed. Michelle Wolf has a Netflix show.

I looked up Valerie Jarett's parents on wiki (so grain of salt). Her father is black. Her mother was 1/4th black, and also French and Scottish. They were American. So you are partially correct, and I was partially correct. ?

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

But you asked who was still employed. Michelle Wolf has a Netflix show.

I looked up Valerie Jarett's parents on wiki (so grain of salt). Her father is black. Her mother was 1/4th black, and also French and Scottish. They were American. So you are partially correct, and I was partially correct. ?

I didn't know she had a show to begin with.  If she said some racist stuff at the correspondents dinner then Netflix should probably have stepped in.

I didn't know Jarett's mother was 1/4 black.

We've gone on a tangent here a bit, but I'm just going back to my original point that i don't see how Roseanne's statement was political.

17 minutes ago, Andrew in CA said:

I find that disappointing, since "Iranian" is probably the purest Aryan race in the world.  

8 minutes ago, Andrew in CA said:

We've gone on a tangent here a bit, but I'm just going back to my original point that i don't see how Roseanne's statement was political.

Valerie Jarett's a political figure.  

9 minutes ago, B-Large said:

she fisted bout a hundred other people working for that show, thats the real travesty.

and that's the career killer right there. 

the on screen talent like Roseanne get alot of leeway in their off screen behaviors.  But when it cuts into the off screen production support that makes the show run, the on screen talent start having a hard time finding the quality off screen support that really makes a good show run

• Like (+1) 1

Bar has legit mental issues. Most comedians do. I was never a fan of the lady. That said, I have a great hatred to those who try and silence comedians, for their comedy. I had no issue with the redhead lady and the bloody Trump head. The backlash against comedians is what ought be actively rejected. 

18 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Bar has legit mental issues. Most comedians do. I was never a fan of the lady. That said, I have a great hatred to those who try and silence comedians, for their comedy. I had no issue with the redhead lady and the bloody Trump head. The backlash against comedians is what ought be actively rejected. 

I agree that the state should not silence anyone.  However, if you say/do something that really offends people, you get backlash.  The bloody Trump head thing is terribly offensive and she got backlash, which was deserved IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Oh it's happening sweetheart.  She's already running in case you hadn't noticed.

Don't confuse running with bump, bump, bump down the stairs.

Hillary falling.jpg

Edited by 3rdnlng

22 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Free speech is free speech, even after sponsors pull their advertising and (a la Kaepernick and Barr and Griffin) someone's industry refuses to employ them. Usually the marketplace sorts out those who exercise their right to speech to their own detriment. Say what you want, but you might suffer the consequences. Nobody should stifle anyone's right to shoot themself in the foot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

The rush to find hypocrisy should follow many steps behind condemning awful behavior. 

When we suit up in party uniforms and ignore boorish behavior, don't you think everyone loses? Can you consider and judge each instance of clownish behavior as it comes?

Lol unless a lefty engages in the awful behavior.  Then we should just look the other way.  Everything passes except a mock severed presidential head.  No wonder Kathy was surprised.

Roseanne and "classy" are rarely used in the same sentence and her words were unnecessary and very crass.  Except for the part about Jarret being a commie.  That's true.

• Like (+1) 2

I remember ABC cancelling Maher's show "Politically Incorrect" because he said something politically incorrect post 9/11.  He refused to agree with a guest that the hijackers on 9/11 were cowards.  Isiahi Washington got fired from Grey's Anatomy for using a gay slur on set.  That's about all I can remember as far as ABC's concerned.

Just stupid of Roseanne.  The same lady who grabbed her crotch after sarcastically singing the National Anthem.

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol unless a lefty engages in the awful behavior.  Then we should just look the other way.  Everything passes except a mock severed presidential head.  No wonder Kathy was surprised.

Roseanne and "classy" are rarely used in the same sentence and her words were unnecessary and very crass.  Except for the part about Jarret being a commie.  That's true.

I could see Jarret being a little irritated being compared to Zira but Zira was a kind and compassionate Ape who ended up getting a kiss from George Taylor.  This whole hoopla should be about her being the offspring of the Muslim Brotherhood. I mean, what the hell, does she not know who her father was?

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I remember ABC cancelling Maher's show "Politically Incorrect" because he said something politically incorrect post 9/11.  He refused to agree with a guest that the hijackers on 9/11 were cowards.  Isiahi Washington got fired from Grey's Anatomy for using a gay slur on set.  That's about all I can remember as far as ABC's concerned.

Just stupid of Roseanne.  The same lady who grabbed her crotch  dick after sarcastically singing the National Anthem.

Fixed it for you.

25 minutes ago, snafu said:

Free speech is free speech, even after sponsors pull their advertising and (a la Kaepernick and Barr and Griffin) someone's industry refuses to employ them. Usually the marketplace sorts out those who exercise their right to speech to their own detriment. Say what you want, but you might suffer the consequences. Nobody should stifle anyone's right to shoot themself in the foot.

I am aware. I can still think the ignorant masses (most everything on twitter, for example) and those who makes these decisions are detriments a healthy society. Good comedy pushes the envelope and offends. 

33 minutes ago, Andrew in CA said:

I agree that the state should not silence anyone.  However, if you say/do something that really offends people, you get backlash.  The bloody Trump head thing is terribly offensive and she got backlash, which was deserved IMO.  

I never mentioned the "state." I meant what I said, and find the current state of things stupid. But, the PC thing and fake outrage is the current fad, so the cows do their thing. 

Edited by Paulus

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I am aware. I can still think the ignorant masses (everything on twitter) and those who makes these decisions are detriments a healthy society. Good comedy pushes the envelope and offends. 

I never mentioned the "state." I meant what I said, and find the current state of things stupid. But, the PC thing and fake outrage is the current fad, so the cows do their thing. 

i know you didn't mention it.  I was building off your comment with my own.  

Just now, Andrew in CA said:

i know you didn't mention it.  I was building off your comment with my own.  

Very well. I do think that the non-state silencing has gone so far as to silence healthy discourse. I find that more abhorrent than racist, bigoted, or otherwise hurtful comments. Preserving ignorance and stupidity to cull hurt feelings is a foundation of failure.

If this is how ABC chooses to react to Barr's tweets, then they're well within their rights to do so. Her comments even bothered me, and I set my bar (no pun intended) pretty low - we should all be able to say whatever the hell we choose to, and then have the spine to endure the potential repercussions of our words. Freedom of speech is simply a guarantee that the feds can't silence us - it's not a shield meant to insulate us from the owning up to what we say in the public arena.

She shot herself in the foot big time with such ignorant words, whether they were meant in jest or not. As others have already pointed out, it's too bad for all of those who were experiencing the resurgence of success that the show was bringing them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Azalin said:

If this is how ABC chooses to react to Barr's tweets, then they're well within their rights to do so. Her comments even bothered me, and I set my bar (no pun intended) pretty low - we should all be able to say whatever the hell we choose to, and then have the spine to endure the potential repercussions of our words. Freedom of speech is simply a guarantee that the feds can't silence us - it's not a shield meant to insulate us from the owning up to what we say in the public arena.

She shot herself in the foot big time with such ignorant words, whether they were meant in jest or not. As others have already pointed out, it's too bad for all of those who were experiencing the resurgence of success that the show was bringing them.

This is where I’m at. 

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

and that's the career killer right there. 

the on screen talent like Roseanne get alot of leeway in their off screen behaviors.  But when it cuts into the off screen production support that makes the show run, the on screen talent start having a hard time finding the quality off screen support that really makes a good show run

She essentially done- thought she has a lot of money, so probably doesn't care.

Update: the real travesty is now the people I have see on social media who claim Roasanne's freedom of speech and 1st amendment rights are being violated... dumb people are a disaster in and of themselves.

ABC had every right to fire her for making a really dumb comment. That's their business. 

Also, twitter has a photo floating around of VJ side by side with the character Roseanne was referring to. :ph34r:

Not defending Roseanne 's tweet. It is indefensible. She's claiming it was her using ambien that affected her better judgement

That's still no excuse. But I know about ambien. Took two, woke up and started rearranging furniture.

I have no recall of doing this. My wife threw them out and told the Doctor.

Back to good old fashion alcohol to get to sleep.   

• Like (+1) 1

:w00t:....CONSIDER IT DONE!   In Late-Night Plea, Roseanne Begs Fans: Do NOT Defend Me or My ‘Egregious, Indefensible’ Tweet.

THAT’S DIFFERENT BECAUSE SHUT UP: If ONLY Roseanne had hit the appearance of Sarah Palin or Sarah Sanders instead of Valerie Jarrett.

THE END OF ‘ROSEANNE:’

A mere nine hours after Roseanne Barr posted an astonishingly racist tweet about Obama intimate Valerie Jarrett, the American Broadcasting Company did something that has never happened before in the history of broadcasting: It canceled TV’s #1 show.

The show was heralded as the first program to try and make sense of the Trump era, and it generated an enormous audience that dissipated some over the course of three months but was still in powerhouse territory. Networks like ABC build entire weekly schedules around giant hits like Roseanne, so its departure from the airwaves isn’t just a matter of replacing it with another half-hour. This was a decision that had to sting and sting hard.

Barr is likely to be airbrushed out of Hollywood entirely for some time. “Following the cancellation of her hit ABC comedy series, Barr has been dropped by her agency, ICM Partners,” Deadline reports.

46 minutes ago, B-Man said:

:w00t:....CONSIDER IT DONE!   In Late-Night Plea, Roseanne Begs Fans: Do NOT Defend Me or My ‘Egregious, Indefensible’ Tweet.

THAT’S DIFFERENT BECAUSE SHUT UP: If ONLY Roseanne had hit the appearance of Sarah Palin or Sarah Sanders instead of Valerie Jarrett.

THE END OF ‘ROSEANNE:’

A mere nine hours after Roseanne Barr posted an astonishingly racist tweet about Obama intimate Valerie Jarrett, the American Broadcasting Company did something that has never happened before in the history of broadcasting: It canceled TV’s #1 show.

The show was heralded as the first program to try and make sense of the Trump era, and it generated an enormous audience that dissipated some over the course of three months but was still in powerhouse territory. Networks like ABC build entire weekly schedules around giant hits like Roseanne, so its departure from the airwaves isn’t just a matter of replacing it with another half-hour. This was a decision that had to sting and sting hard.

Barr is likely to be airbrushed out of Hollywood entirely for some time. “Following the cancellation of her hit ABC comedy series, Barr has been dropped by her agency, ICM Partners,” Deadline reports.

They didn't just cancel her new show.  Cable channels cancelled reruns of her old show.  

They're making the best attempt they can purge her in the Stalinist sense.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

They didn't just cancel her new show.  Cable channels cancelled reruns of her old show.  

They're making the best attempt they can purge her in the Stalinist sense.

Appropriate that they follow their inspirational hero.

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Yes she is, after insulting the national anthem. Colin Kapernick is still unemployed though 

Who would hire a qb that can't play? Makes no sense. It sucks he can't find a job as a clerk somewhere though. Maybe an office assistant fetching files and coffee? Someone should check into that make sure he isn't being marginalized.