Mike Clay (ESPN) Score Projections Has the Bills Favored in Just Two Games

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Vegas has the Bills at 6.5. That feels close to right because of the defense. I still don’t think that they win 7 games. That offense could be the worst that the Bills have ever fielded. If Allen can play it won’t matter though. Look at what the Browns did to their offense this offseason. The Bills have a chance to do that next offseason. 

I suspect their record will hinge on how good (or bad) AJ McCarron is.  If he can't beat out Josh Allen, then either AJ is terrible or Josh Allen is that good.  In this case, I would lean toward the former. I personally hope we don't see Josh Allen start this year since that would mean AJ is not terrible and I think it would be best for Josh Allen's development to sit for a year, at least.   

Concur that 2019 should be a much better Bills team assuming they go heavy on offense.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I will give you 1.25-1 on the Bills having a better record than the Browns, for as much as you like. I'll also take the under on the Browns offense scoring 19ppg straight up, again as much as you like. 

@HappyDays can have this action too same terms.

22 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I suspect their record will hinge on how good (or bad) AJ McCarron is.  If he can't beat out Josh Allen, then either AJ is terrible or Josh Allen is that good.  In this case, I would lean toward the former. I personally hope we don't see Josh Allen start this year since that would mean AJ is not terrible and I think it would be best for Josh Allen's development to sit for a year, at least.   

Concur that 2019 should be a much better Bills team assuming they go heavy on offense.

I agree that Allen needs time. I’m not sure that McCarron is going to play though. It feels like the Bills want Allen out there to take his lumps.

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I will give you 1.25-1 on the Bills having a better record than the Browns, for as much as you like. I'll also take the under on the Browns offense scoring 19ppg straight up, again as much as you like. 

I’m in on both of those. I think that the Browns win 8 games, the Bills maybe 6. Remind me when we get closer to the season and we can figure out the stakes (assuming everyone is healthy). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

You guys are a lot more optimistic than I am about the coming year.  I would rather temper my enthusiasm and be pleasantly surprised than look at the team through rose colored glasses.

As it stands now, our personnel is not as good as last year - particularly our offensive line.  I feel sorry for Shady as well as whoever ends up starting at QB.  In fact, the state of our offensive line is one reason why I would not start Josh Allen. It might ruin his chance of developing the way we need him to develop.

We also were VERY fortunate last year.

It is great that we made the playoffs, but let's not lose perspective:

We made the playoffs because of a miracle play by Dalton and a late and questionable call against the Colts on their conversion.

Our point differential was actually worse than the year before.

Our defense and offense were ranked worse than the year before relative to the rest of the league.

I think that this year is likely to be a rebuilding year unless the offensive line plays really, really well and we continue to have the ball bounce our way.

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

You guys are a lot more optimistic than I am about the coming year.  I would rather temper my enthusiasm and be pleasantly surprised than look at the team through rose colored glasses.

As it stands now, our personnel is not as good as last year - particularly our offensive line.  I feel sorry for Shady as well as whoever ends up starting at QB.  In fact, the state of our offensive line is one reason why I would not start Josh Allen. It might ruin his chance of developing the way we need him to develop.

We also were VERY fortunate last year.

It is great that we made the playoffs, but let's not lose perspective:

We made the playoffs because of a miracle play by Dalton and a late and questionable call against the Colts on their conversion.

Our point differential was actually worse than the year before.

Our defense and offense were ranked worse than the year before relative to the rest of the league.

I think that this year is likely to be a rebuilding year unless the offensive line plays really, really well and we continue to have the ball bounce our way.

Our point differential was mainly the result of a horrific three-game stretch.  I love how people want to point to that, but give the Chargers a free pass on their four-game slide to start the season.

We made the playoffs because of heart.  Cinci beat us last season.  If the Ravens had won week 17, would everyone say they were lucky to make it in and only made it in because Cinci beat Buffalo earlier in the year?  Not likely.  Yet people are quick to reverse it.  We were "lucky" the Bengals beat the Ravens...but the Ravens were not "lucky" those same Bengals beat the Bills.  A little hypocritical, don't you think?

Buffalo had enough BS calls this season (TD vs. NE overruled...).  You can't point to one questionable call against Indy.  Indy got some calls, too.

I don't care what our defense was ranked.  It was a solid unit that had a lot on its plate because the offense couldn't do squat.  Three bad games tanked those rankings.  Look at the other thirteen.  And that same defense got a lot better in the off-season.

Clay is a dolt.  Predicts the scores of every game, then says he's not predicting records.  Then what the hell is the point?  We're going to lose to Miami and Jets at home, by one point each?  Our only two victories are going to come on the road to those two teams...we're not going to beat anyone out of the AFC East?  I get it, Buffalo has been bad for a looooong time.  People are skeptical.  But bad teams do not stay forever bad.  There was a time when the Bills were going to Super Bowl after Super Bowl and the Patriots were a complete joke.  Things cycle.  But given how bad Buffalo has been for so long...people are going to assume they're going to remain that awful, even going so far as writing last season off as a fluke.

I haven't lost perspective.  I can see clearly.

35 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We'll be looking for a new OC in 2019, if that's the case.

As weird as it sounds, it won’t necessarily be Daboll’s fault. If he can develop Allen everything will be fine. It would be terrifying if Rico were still here.

Ross Tucker talked about it this morning, the Bills may have the worst QB, worst OL and worst WR groups in the league. Allen can turn the QB into a strength but he’s an unknown. The OL was unlucky and the WR are bad. Things can change between now and the beginning of the year but this doesn’t look like a good group.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

?

I counted about 4 games last year they should be favored in and they won 9 games and made the playoffs for the first time in forever...LOL

I really think that it's pretty advantageous for the media to have such low expectations of the Bills. You definitely want that instead of everyone touting how great you're supposed to be. It's weird, but it's the truth. I'm sure McDermott wants more of this kind of stuff out here.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As weird as it sounds, it won’t necessarily be Daboll’s fault. If he can develop Allen everything will be fine. It would be terrifying if Rico were still here.

Ross Tucker talked about it this morning, the Bills may have the worst QB, worst OL and worst WR groups in the league. Allen can turn the QB into a strength but he’s an unknown. The OL was unlucky and the WR are bad. Things can change between now and the beginning of the year but this doesn’t look like a good group.

We don't even have the worst WRs in our division: that distinction belongs to the Jets. 

Worst QB situation? That belongs to the Chiefs, not the Bills.

And the worst offensive line is imo either in New York with the Giants, or Seattle, or Houston. 

More inanity from guys who have to write something, anything to get paid.  It's ridiculous.  Doesn't take into account effect of injuries, for starters. 

Writing crap just to fill a page is what is wrong with journalism today.

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

We don't even have the worst WRs in our division: that distinction belongs to the Jets. 

Worst QB situation? That belongs to the Chiefs, not the Bills.

And the worst offensive line is imo either in New York with the Giants, or Seattle, or Houston. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I’d take Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse & Pryor over Benjamin, Zay, Kerley and Holmes (or whomever). Mahomes showed flashes of brilliance and has Andy Reid coaching him. Allen may be better long-term but I’d bet that Mahomes is an upgrade this year. The OL is a wild card and the Bills were unlucky with Wood & Incognito. We certainly aren’t in a position though to say that any other line is definitely worse than the Bills. 

Whether you have the Bills at 30 or 32, the point remains that those groups aren’t good. Allen developing will soften the blow and set them up. As of today though it could be a long year for the offense.