33 unique Upstate NY foods and brands we eat all the time, and where to get them

19 minutes ago, snafu said:

Wow, no Weber's mustard.

I bring jars of it down to Brooklyn.  I should call Weber's and become a distributor down here.

Every so many months, I bring a case back for guys at work.

A "Maxwell Street Polish" would taste so much better.  Wonder why Weber's doesn't distribute, it's a hit everywhere.

Also... Bison Dip.  Heck, just dip made with sour cream will do.

Here... Helluva was carried, then they stopped.

Same with Cherry Crush.  They carried here, was always flying off self... Then they went back to just carrying God awful Strawberry Crush.  Come on 7up/Dr.Pepper!

8 hours ago, snafu said:

Actually, I didn't see beef on weck. Unless I missed it.

Weck is just a salted Kaiser roll.  Easy to make anywhere... Same with the beef.  Easy to make @ home.

I guess Weber's is easy to make... In a pinch I mix in a little horseradish with regular yellow mustard.  You can make it from scratch too.  And... If I go on Northside here, I can probably find something similar... Yet, not as ubiquitous as Weber's in WNY.

I thought it was ironic when I flew to see the Bills play in London back in 2015. We flew American and each time we were served a snack Chobani was one of the choices.  ( Going to London yet eating a snack from WNY )

14 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I thought it was ironic when I flew to see the Bills play in London back in 2015. We flew American and each time we were served a snack Chobani was one of the choices.  ( Going to London yet eating a snack from WNY )

Chobani is national if not worldwide.

Eat it all the time here, not solely WNY.

??

Anyway, Brits hate the fruit on the bottom of yogurt thing... We were in airport here many years ago and my wife drew attention to a British Mom having a hissy fit about "American yogurt."  Seems she was feeding the kidlet and upon opening said yogurt, discovered fruit on bottom needed to be mixed... :lol: Priceless rant about "American yogurt."

Anyway, maybe it is catching on?  Chobani is all over... National/International:

Wiki...

UKEdit

September 2012 saw Chobani’s introduction in the UK when their yogurt was carried in 200 Tesco stores.[25]

Chobani was ordered in 2013 to change their yogurt's labeling in England and Wales after a judge ruled that the wording "Greek yoghurt" (rather than Greek-style) misled consumers into thinking the yogurt was made in Greece (yogurt imported from Greece is sold in Britain, and is the only type sold as "Greek").[26][27]

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

i have never had/heard of  Utica greens..that picture looked awesome. Need to find me a recipe

On the menu at one of my favorite restaurants in Syracuse, Delmonico’s, they’re called “East Utica Greens.”  I’ve seen them named that at other restaurants.  When I look them up online, they’re referred to a just “Utica Greens.”

wasssuppidat??

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

On the menu at one of my favorite restaurants in Syracuse, Delmonico’s, they’re called “East Utica Greens.”  I’ve seen them named that at other restaurants.  When I look them up online, they’re referred to a just “Utica Greens.”

wasssuppidat??

In Utica certain parts of town used to identfy with certain ethnicities. East Utica was Italian, West Utica was Polish, etc.  Now it’s pretty much a melting pot, but some of the older traditions are still intact for certain neighborhoods.