Johnny Manziel Hospitalized

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

How has anyone infringed on his right to protest?   Has he been imprisoned?

Any other citizen doesn't have the right to expect their employer to faciliiate their acts of protest, at the employer's place of business, while the employee is on the clock.

His protests don't bother me either, but people who don't understand what he "rights" are (or should be) certainly do.

In theory, anyone should be able to "protest " injustice when and as they see fit.

As long as those subjects are willing to deal with the repurcussions of Reality. Such as it is.

shame that folks need to follow rules to make a serious humanitarian point though.  In an Idyllic world, the issue would be addressed in a most heartfelt manner.

Kap 

i am fine with him being fired

i am fine no one will hire him.

But lets be real about why. take note even.

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Christians by definition are tasked to be sympathetic, selfless and loving. No one is perfect and hypocrisy certainly exists. 

I wish Johnny well and my condolences to anyone who's been forced to deal with the ravages of drug abuse or overdose. 

It aint just Christians who preach tolerance, understanding and compassion.
and you are wise and gracious with your words

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

In theory, anyone should be able to "protest " injustice when and as they see fit.

As long as those subjects are willing to deal with the repurcussions of Reality. Such as it is.

shame that folks need to follow rules to make a serious humanitarian point though.  In an Idyllic world, the issue would be addressed in a most heartfelt manner.

Kap 

I'd say with protests and work it comes down to whether it negatively effects his performance/team performance.

28 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Kap 

It aint just Christians who preach tolerance, understanding and compassion.
and you are wise and gracious with your words

Exactly.

Of course he's being blackballed, he's not worth the distraction. If he was Aaron Rodgers he'd be worth it. He's Collin Kaepernick so he's not. Same reason Adrian Peterson kept his career and Ray Rice didn't.

But that's were this charge of his "rights" being violated is so ridiculous. He doesn't have the right to embarass his employer and keep his job any more than you or I do. If I post a video execrating the sins of big agriculture companies there's a real good chance I'll get cut by the one who employees me and none of the others will offer me a job. But somehow Kaepernick is different because he has a bunch of media whiners in his corner??   Gimmie a !@#$ing break.

Edited by KD in CA

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Exactly.

Of course he's being blackballed, he's not worth the distraction. If he was Aaron Rodgers he'd be worth it. He's Collin Kaepernick so he's not. Same reason Adrian Peterson kept his career and Ray Rice didn't.

But that's were this charge of his "rights" being violated is so ridiculous. He doesn't have the right to embarass his employer and keep his job any more than you or I do. If I post a video execrating the sins of big agriculture companies there's a real good chance I'll get cut by the one who employees me and none of the others will offer me a job. But somehow Kaepernick is different because he has a bunch of media whiners in his corner??   Gimmie a !@#$ing break.

That's not exactly a good analogy his protest was against racial injustice and was fired by a sports team. In your analogy a big ag employee protests against big ag. Though firing someone in that situation has it's own issues of making them a martyr.

37 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's not exactly a good analogy his protest was against racial injustice and was fired by a sports team. In your analogy a big ag employee protests against big ag. Though firing someone in that situation has it's own issues of making them a martyr.

It doesn't matter what he was protesting against.  You say that like everyone should just genuflect at his 'cause' and pretend the NFL isn't a business that was harmed by the unwanted attention he willfully brought them.

If you harm your employer's reputation, you are probably going to lose your job unless they stand to gain more by keeping you employed.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It doesn't matter what he was protesting against.  You say that like everyone should just genuflect at his 'cause' and pretend the NFL isn't a business that was harmed by the unwanted attention he willfully brought them.

If you harm your employer's reputation, you are probably going to lose your job unless they stand to gain more by keeping you employed.

True but I doubt his protest had much of an effect on sales.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Colin Kaepernick had a good run. I do believe that he wanted to do the right thing. To bring an awareness to his cause. The thing I think he did wrong was pushed to hard for attention and didn't deliver the message in the best way possible. 

As in I think after he did it some and sent the message and got Attention he should of went back to normal but rallie his supporters in another forum other then football. That would of been a better game plan. 

I think Johnny Manziel made the mistake of going into the game not balenced. He also went to a team that hasn't been good. I can believe some one like him could turn it around and use that potential. I thought the CFL was a good route to sneak back in. 

I really don't have anything against either of those guys. I really have no opinion either of them except better choices could of been made possibly. If your goal is to send a message Kaepernick did that. So he did achieve his goal. In a lot of ways things did kinda change if it's in the discussion. Kudos to him for achieving that. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say with protests and work it comes down to whether it negatively effects his performance/team performance.

Exactly. If I'm a coach and want him I don't give a crap if the "shield" is black balling him because he supposedly hurts their revenue

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

held to higher standard ?

whose though ?

rhetorical Q

tell me more 

of course they do

as long as they are not actually owned buy a Russian Oligarch.

and then ? 

maybe.

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Protesting is

Can you protest at work without getting reprimanded or fired?  If so, you have a freedom at work most people do not.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

NFL TV ratings anyone???

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Can you protest at work without getting reprimanded or fired?  If so, you have a freedom at work most people do not.

NFL TV ratings anyone???

The owners let them.  As I said above if they change that then it's a different story.

my objection to your comment is they should shut up and play because they make a lot of money.  That's crap.  Anyone in this country has the right to speak out if they want

On 5/8/2018 at 11:24 PM, Augie said:

Full disclosure side note here: I arrived in Hilton Head Island, SC today for my son’s funeral on Saturday. He was born here and died of an overdose in January. He unknowingly snorted something laced with fentanyl. He had been clean almost three years (confirmed by court ordered testing for child custody), but relapsed and got unlucky. 

If you want to judge, you can PM me about what happened to him as a young boy that caused the overwhelming anxiety he struggled to overcome. It's easy to judge. It’s also stupid.  Leave that to God, you’re not up to it.....

The producers and distributors of these drugs are conscienceless murderers that should be eradicated from society- Deepest condolences Augie...

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

But the Owners were in fear of that occurring maybe ? The NFL may have felt it a threat to the Owners sanctity ?

22 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Exactly. If I'm a coach and want him I don't give a crap if the "shield" is black balling him because he supposedly hurts their revenue

If you're a coach or GM, and you flout what your employer tells you using a few million dollars of his money, you just may be an unemployed coach.

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're a coach or GM, and you flout what your employer tells you using a few million dollars of his money, you just may be an unemployed coach.

Not if you win! 

But you better win.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:24 PM, Augie said:

Full disclosure side note here: I arrived in Hilton Head Island, SC today for my son’s funeral on Saturday. He was born here and died of an overdose in January. He unknowingly snorted something laced with fentanyl. He had been clean almost three years (confirmed by court ordered testing for child custody), but relapsed and got unlucky. 

If you want to judge, you can PM me about what happened to him as a young boy that caused the overwhelming anxiety he struggled to overcome. It's easy to judge. It’s also stupid.  Leave that to God, you’re not up to it.....

I can't imagine what you are going through my friend. Dope is terrible these days. I know or know of at least 15 people who have died for the same reasons these last couple of years. Most of them were people I went to school with. One of them was my sister's bf at the time who fell face first to the floor right in front of her. Said he was taking Xanax, but the toxicology report told the truth. This stuff is a devil like no other and most of the people I know who died from it get clean temporarily, have a one time relapse, I assume they try to do the amount they would before they got clean, and then it is the last decision they ever make. Sorry for your loss brother.

Edited by H2o

Just now, H2o said:

I can't imagine what you are going through my friend. Dope is terrible these days. I know or know of at least 15 people who have died for the same reasons these last couple of years. Most of them were people I went to school with. One of them was my sister's bf at the time who fell face first to the floor right in front of her. Said he was taking Xanax, but the toxicology report told the truth. This stuff is a devil like no other and most of the people I know who died from it get clean temporarily, have a one time relapse, I assume they try to so the amount they would before they got clean, and then it is the last decision they ever make. Sorry for your loss brother.

Typo maybe? 

I get the meaning and sentiment but to clarify these are hard drugs and not Dope in and of itself. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Typo maybe? 

I get the meaning and sentiment but to clarify these are hard drugs and not Dope in and of itself. 

You must be older when dope was typically used to describe pot. Dope is now a term associated with heroin. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

I can't imagine what you are going through my friend. Dope is terrible these days. I know or know of at least 15 people who have died for the same reasons these last couple of years. Most of them were people I went to school with. One of them was my sister's bf at the time who fell face first to the floor right in front of her. Said he was taking Xanax, but the toxicology report told the truth. This stuff is a devil like no other and most of the people I know who died from it get clean temporarily, have a one time relapse, I assume they try to do the amount they would before they got clean, and then it is the last decision they ever make. Sorry for your loss brother.

This is often the case. Even worse is fentanyl. It is 50 times stronger than heroin, and it’s often mixed in with whatever you think you’re taking. Game over. It’s like Russian Roulette. 

Now you have me thinking. When we were kids the “just say no” program was a big thing and the speaker always said dope. I can’t even remember if he was talking about pot or another drug but dope was the word! If i has to guess this was 3rd-4th grade and he would come in and speak once in a while. Hmm

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Now you have me thinking. When we were kids the “just say no” program was a big thing and the speaker always said dope. I can’t even remember if he was talking about pot or another drug but dope was the word! If i has to guess this was 3rd-4th grade and he would come in and speak once in a while. Hmm

“just say no”  was as I recall more generic.  

Pot, LSD, Mescaline, Magic Shrooms, Coke, Speed was most prevalent in area. 

Of course there were many other hard drugs H and PCP but I always avoided those things. 

44 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I think "dope," was just a catch-all for any drugs.

Kind of like the classic egg/frying pan commercial - This is your brain; this is your brain on "drugs."  Totally generalized.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Kind of like the classic egg/frying pan commercial - This is your brain; this is your brain on "drugs."  Totally generalized.

That’s what I’m thinking. Mr. D was the speaker, I can almost remember his voice saying don’t smoke dope, don’t be a dope etc. 

Now I’m wondering why he didn’t say “be a Patriots fan not a Bills fan don’t be a dope” 

:lol:

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not if you're a better team with him. Depends on the owner. Khan could care less say bortles goes down or underperforms. Anyways half the NFL kneeled that week the POTUS called out the NFL, I don't think owners feel so strongly as much.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Free love and all that!   Flower Power!  

:thumbsup:

My older sister is here visiting, and she actually had an old brown studebaker (sp?) someone gave her that she painted up with giant flowers all over it. Hysterical! This was before the Partridge Family. She actually saw The Rolling Stones a week or two before she went to see the Beatles and thought it was good “practice”. She would run up and down the street with her friends SCREAMING, because that’s what you did when you’re a young girl WATCHING

the Beatles. (She said you couldn’t HEAR them just the girls screaming.) 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I thought "dope," was just a catch-all for everything cool.     Man, that's Dope!!! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

the Beatles. (She said you couldn’t HEAR them just the girls screaming.) 

If you listen to interviews of the Beatles this is why they stopped touring. They got bored cause nobody was actulaly listening or able to hear the music.