Taron Johnson can be a steal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/05/why_taron_johnsons_college_coach_thinks_buffalo_bills_found_the_next_antoine_win.amp

I grew up in the defensive backfield and have played every position you can and have coached them all as well

on draft day I thought we got a steal and our starting nickel corner in Johnson... how well balanced and physical he is. The technique he uses and his ball skills. His competitiveness is great and he just looks like an NFL corner 

His coach has reaffirmed what I thought and he has coached a bunch of good corners. Says he would take him over his own Sean Smith 

compares him to our own Buffalo legend in Antoine Winfield ?

we can only hope and pray

Billieve 2018

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/05/why_taron_johnsons_college_coach_thinks_buffalo_bills_found_the_next_antoine_win.amp

I grew up in the defensive backfield and have played every position you can and have coached them all as well

on draft day I thought we got a steal and our starting nickel corner in Johnson... how well balanced and physical he is. The technique he uses and his ball skills. His competitiveness is great and he just looks like an NFL corner 

His coach has reaffirmed what I thought and he has coached a bunch of good corners. Says he would take him over his own Sean Smith 

compares him to our own Buffalo legend in Antoine Winfield ?

we can only hope and pray

Billieve 2018

We seem to be really good at identifying d-backs.

• Like (+1) 2

Really excited about this kid.  I have high hopes for him being our nickel back for the foreseeable future.  Dunno if we’d want to put him outside if davis leaves next year but I think he’s a contributor for the duration of his contract.  

I hope he can unseat Gaines early on.  Gaines was pretty ragged last year and i see him as this year’s shareece Wright.  Hopefully he doesn’t have to play that much.  Or maybe the scheme switch and mcDs tutelage will allow him to to turn the corner.  Can’t wait for training camp.

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Mcdermott was a Defense back ☺️

We are a special breed

The Bills had a long history of being enamored with first round DB's.........unfortunately even back when the game was much more about the action at the LOS and stopping the run. 

Going back to Polian every GM they've had has been very good at identifying them but recent regimes like Jauron/Rex/McD have been DB-centric due to their backgrounds and we've subsequently seen more good players in the defensive backfield than any other unit on the team over the past decade plus.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills had a long history of being enamored with first round DB's.........unfortunately even back when the game was much more about the action at the LOS and stopping the run. 

Going back to Polian every GM they've had has been very good at identifying them but recent regimes like Jauron/Rex/McD have been DB-centric due to their backgrounds and we've subsequently seen more good players in the defensive backfield than any other unit on the team over the past decade plus.

Definitely 

We have been very lucky to have a bunch of good DBs around here. Yes, we have definitely been enamored by the position even in years where it wasn’t vital 

but DBs are at a Premium now and it’s nice to be able to ID talent in all rounds including UDFA. You need to add a corner or 2 every year just to keep pace and hopefully strike gold

McDermott is certainly building a reputation as a DB whisperer 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely 

We have been very lucky to have a bunch of good DBs around here. Yes, we have definitely been enamored by the position even in years where it wasn’t vital 

but DBs are at a Premium now and it’s nice to be able to ID talent in all rounds including UDFA. You need to add a corner or 2 every year just to keep pace and hopefully strike gold

McDermott is certainly building a reputation as a DB whisperer 

Now about that offense ...  ;)

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

We seem to be really good at identifying d-backs.

I would argue that identifying NFL d-backs, and drafting them correctly, is a lot easier to do, for anyone.

Why? Because the position is much more reliant on innate talent(you can do it or you can't), and, it's very easy to see them on film, since they almost always alone. Their concepts/responsibilities are, compared to those of ILB/OLB and even DEs, less complex. It obviously depends on the defensive scheme. See: Rex Ryan's defense relies on a SS to be a Rhodes Scholar, which is why under-talented Jim Leonard was successful in it, and made it successful both for the Ravens and the Jets. It is also the reason that our iteration of it was so successful when Aaron Williams played, and so atrocious when he didn't.

But Ryan's defense is the exception. Generally speaking DBs in general, and CBs especially, are all by themselves in the defense, which makes their success/fail rate easy to measure. If something is easier to measure, it's generally easier to make good decisions about it.

Not saying the Bills don't deserve credit. Orwell said "To see what's under one's nose requires constant struggle." The Bills have been struggling, and good CB draft picks are the result.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I strongly question this staff’s eye for offensive talent.  I will never question their ability to scout d backs.  If they pick a d back, I believe in them ? 

Ray Ray McCloud challenges you to a duel...you have blasphemed his honor ;-)

• Haha (+1) 1