Post-Draft NFL.com Power Rankings

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

"The Bills' slow lurch downward since the loss to the Jaguars in the Wild Card Round is not indicative of panic-worthy events. Rather, it's a reflection of how strong the team is right now."

Is it me, or are these statements nonsensical?

I think he's basically just saying they aren't a good team on paper. Honestly I think #20 is pretty high; seems that a lot of people, including Vegas, expect them to be close to 25-28.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

"The Bills' slow lurch downward since the loss to the Jaguars in the Wild Card Round is not indicative of panic-worthy events. Rather, it's a reflection of how strong the team is right now."

Is it me, or are these statements nonsensical?

It is worded awkwardly.   Maybe he is saying how weak we are right now.  It makes little sense

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually am pulling for McCaron to start.  He has been chomping at the bit for a starting role and knowing what I know about him....he's going to work hard to get it.  If McCaron starts and plays decently....he's good draft capital for next year.  

If Allen surprises early and wins the job....even better but I think he needs to sit at least a year.

I am similar in that I absolutely want Allen to earn the job long before he steps out onto the field. I am 100% ok with him riding the pine for most, if not all of the year.

But if Allen is the clear favorite to start the season, I am ok with starting him. If AJ bombs, I would give Allen a limited playbook and get him some playing time.

Hard to see Allen starting for some time. Anything can happen but remember at every level he has played at smaller schools, lower level comp). Small town HS. Then small JUCO. Then WYO. This will be a big adjustment. 

I think that the question of who to start will take care of itself. Either it will be obvious based on preseason performance who the starter should be or it will be cloudy, with no clear winner established before opening day. If it is the former, then that is the guy you start. If the latter, then you start AJ until further notice. If he plays well, you stick with him because, duh, he is playing well. If he doesn't play well, you eventually make the switch. At that point, the fans and media will have a far greater tolerance for his rookie growing pains knowing that AJ isn't the answer because, duh, we tried him and it didn't work. 

I think our season is going to hinge on Daboll, as I don't see much difference from the QB perspective.  I really hope he can game plan and call plays to our QBs strengths, regardless of who starts. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I see the rationale that he's using here, but it's pretty lazy to assume that McCarron and Allen can't do as much as Tyrod. It goes to show what we've known all along- the outsiders look at stats and have no idea how bad our offense was behind Dennison and Taylor. 

I don't think it's lazy when you're unsure. It would be overly optimistic to assume they will be better than he was. He didn't produce in clutch moments, but he didn't turn the ball over either. 

49 minutes ago, hemma said:

We could have a strong D this year, top 15 maybe even better, but the OL doesn't imbue confidence.

At this point, 20 may be a bit generous.

D looks pretty good, but LB is shaky. Hopefully they can get Edmunds coached up a ready to start. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think he's basically just saying they aren't a good team on paper. Honestly I think #20 is pretty high; seems that a lot of people, including Vegas, expect them to be close to 25-28.

I believe the ranking is dragged down by the offense. It a a huge unknown, with two starting linemen gone, TT gone/inexperience at QB, OC gone, etc. 

TBH, I think the ranking is averaging offense and defense; perhaps the author believes the defense will be above average, while offense will be below average (huge unkown), which is my train of thought as well.

Esentially, it's just a "power ranking", and one man's opinion. Means very little at this point, and in general. 

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

When he proves/looks to be the better QB in practice/training camp/preseason.

Similar to how Tyrod won the job back in 2015. 

It would be an interesting problem to have if McCaron is playing well and the Bills are winning at the same time.

Yeah...I agree.  Allen will have to look the part in camp and preseason.  We invested a lot into Allen so I think it would be bad sign if he's not starting in 2019.  Unless of course AJ McCarron pulls a Jimmy G and just dominates out there.  Then it will have to be reevaluated since McCaron is young too.