one thing that has gone unmentioned - talent level on D

A lot has been made about the team's talent deficiencies going into the offseason, but I think it's now pretty clear that the Bills are a very strong team talent-wise on defense. They did this kind of stealthily, piece by piece. To begin: both starting safeties are really good. Of their two corners, one is terrific (White) and the other -- Davis -- has had some genuinely elite seasons in recent years (he was PFF's #2 CB in 2014) and if healthy, a decidedly better than average corner. They also drafted a guy who can play slot in round 4 and a hybrid safety type who can presumably serve as passable depth. On the front seven, their d-line/edge rotation is actually pretty impressive: Lulutelei, Kyle Williams, Harrison Phillips, Hughes, Murphy, and Shaq Lawson (plus OK depth behind them), and at LB/edge they have Edmunds, Alexander, Milano, and (again) Murphy.  Murphy not only had 10 sacks in 2016; he had 55 pressures! That's right: 55. Assuming he's healthy, he's a player. 

That is a SOLID unit overall. I'd like to see another CB in as competition because I worry about Davis, but I have to presume the Bills did their homework on him. If he's healthy, he's good and not a step down from Gaines.  (Still, I'd have liked to have been able to keep Gaines too.) 

More broadly, it's clear that they're implementing a plan: build the D and get the QB first, and put the offensive pieces in place next. Expect some low scoring battles next season.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, SWATeam said:

D should be very strong.

Strong D and a good run game is a pretty great formula for bringing a young QB along.

Agreed. It's what the Steelers did with Roethlisberger, actually. Even though Roethlisberger started in season one, he didn't really throw it that much.  In 2004, the Steelers were #1 in defense (both yards and points), 32nd in passing attempts, and first in rushing attempts.

• Like (+1) 5

Agreed Dave

I also like that the team has much of the "cornerstone" talent on D under contract beyond 2019.

Next offseason, there will likely be only 1-2 starting jobs available (LB and corner) on that side of the ball, which will allow the team to be aggressive in their pursuit of WR and OL help.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed Dave

I also like that the team has much of the "cornerstone" talent on D under contract beyond 2019.

Next offseason, there will likely be only 1-2 starting jobs available (LB and corner) on that side of the ball, which will allow the team to be aggressive in their pursuit of WR and OL help.

I am also keeping an keen eye on the salary cap. We should have plenty of money and some great  WRs potentially hitting free agency.

My biggest worry is that we push Allen out too fast before he is ready, and he gets the EJ treatment: a freak physical talent who needs to ride the bench for a while getting shoved into a situation with few WR targets and a poor O-line.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. It's what the Steelers did with Roethlisberger, actually. Even though Roethlisberger started in season one, he didn't really throw it that much.  In 2004, the Steelers were #1 in defense (both yards and points), 32nd in passing attempts, and first in rushing attempts.

this is pretty incredible actually.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Yep.  And this is why, to me, Allen is the favorite to start this season.  Plus, we have a new OC coming in so none of the QB's have an advantage there.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Yep.  And this is why, to me, Allen is the favorite to start this season.  Plus, we have a new OC coming in so none of the QB's have an advantage there.

Tommy Maddox actually started the first 2 games of that season. Of course, he also started one other: the final game of the season against ... the Bills. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

A lot has been made about the team's talent deficiencies going into the offseason, but I think it's now pretty clear that the Bills are now a very strong team talent-wise on defense. They did this kind of stealthily, piece by piece. To begin: both starting safeties are really good. Of their two corners, one is terrific (White) and the other -- Davis -- has had some genuinely elite seasons in recent years (he was PFF's #2 CB in 2014) and if healthy, a decidedly better than average corner. They also drafted a guy who can play slot in round 4 and a hybrid safety type who can presumably serve as passable depth. On the front seven, their d-line/edge rotation is actually pretty impressive: Lulutelei, Kyle Williams, Harrison Phillips, Hughes, Murphy, and Shaq Lawson (plus OK depth behind them), and at LB/edge they have Edmunds, Alexander, Milano, and (again) Murphy.  Murphy not only had 10 sacks in 2016; he had 55 pressures! That's right: 55. Assuming he's healthy, he's a player. 

That is a SOLID unit overall. I'd like to see another CB in as competition because I worry about Davis, but I have to presume the Bills did their homework on him. If he's healthy, he's good and not a step down from Gaines.  (Still, I'd have liked to have been able to keep Gaines too.) 

More broadly, it's clear that they're implementing a plan: build the D and get the QB first, and put the offensive pieces in place next. Expect some low scoring battles next season.

I’m not sure how sneaky it was with the bulk of free agency and lot of picks spent.

last years 1st, a trade up in this year’s 1st, this year’s big cornerstone signing and last year’s biggest (though I suppose Hyde might be sneaky?)

Outside fans focusing on qb it’s been noticeable 

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They don't have any elite players on that D (except maybe Tre), and they lack speed and depth at linebacker - they need Edmunds to develop quickly.  But they're solid across the board and should be very difficult to run on next year.

Edmunds is pretty darn fast - 4.54. Milano isn't slow either - 4.67. That's decent for a linebacker.

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m not sure how sneaky it was with the bulk of free agency and lot of picks spent.

last years 1st, a trade up in this year’s 1st, this year’s big cornerstone signing and last year’s biggest (though I suppose Hyde might be sneaky?)

Outside fans focusing on qb it’s been noticeable 

Yeah, what I really meant is that no one looking at the Bills has been discussing the defensive personnel as a unit and noting the pretty major makeover/talent upgrade. 

In general, the D is looking good. Hopefully Murphy boosts our pass rush, and Shaq starts producing more. Based on the film I've seen of Edmunds, it's going to take some time to come into his own. Obviously Milano is a good young player, but outside of that we're looking at LorAx and Humbert. We'll definitely need to make an upgrade next offseason. Lorax and Humbert are slow and old. And We'll all be crossing our fingers that Vontae can stay Healthy. 

Edited by BrotherChazz

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't rule out a vet offensive lineman who gets cut somewhere ending up here either. There are usually 1 or 2 who get let go shortly after the draft by a team that selected one. 

I'm willing to bet that RIchie eventually comes back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jamie Nails said:

I'm willing to bet that RIchie eventually comes back. 

THAT will be a circus.....whats a better bet is IF Beane/McD WANT him back......after this offseason....they gonna be wondering.

Edited by Kwai San