Beane just said guy was falling that he wanted

boyst

According to Peter King, AZ wasn't interested in spending a 2nd round pick to move up. 

In Arizona, the Cardinals fell into Josh Rosen when he started sliding. Had he gone at six or seven, the price to move up from Arizona’s pick at 15 would have been prohibitive. Keim definitely didn’t want to spend next year’s first-round pick, and there were so many players in a rich second round this year that he didn’t want to use his mid-second-rounder this year either. Luckily, the Raiders settled for third- and fifth-round picks, and the Cardinals had their quarterback of the future.

How serious were they about moving up? And then there's this quote from Giants GM Dave Gettleman:

“People call you and they want the second pick of the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog. Leave me alone. I don’t have time to screw around.”

Oh well, what's done is done. I just found it interesting the Bills parted with more draft capital than what was (likely) necessary.

9 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

But Kirk didn't "fall" very fall at all to what range Beane said he was looking to trade up, it doesn't make sense to me

Unless they had a first round grade on him. There is a difference between Media Value and what Each GM values a guy at

16 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

But Kirk didn't "fall" very fall at all to what range Beane said he was looking to trade up, it doesn't make sense to me

Isn't that kind of the point? If he would have fallen into the range we would've made the move. He didn't, so we didn't.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

According to Peter King, AZ wasn't interested in spending a 2nd round pick to move up. 

How serious were they about moving up? And then there's this quote from Giants GM Dave Gettleman:

Oh well, what's done is done. I just found it interesting the Bills parted with more draft capital than what was (likely) necessary.

AZ were bidding against themselves at that point. That's a different situation. Beane didn't want to get beaten out for the player( tells you what they though of Josh Rosen) so he proably put his best offer in. There's no shame in that, a team is going to bid up the price if two are interested because they can use leverage. It was no secret what Beane had to give, either. 

50 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

AZ were bidding against themselves at that point. That's a different situation. Beane didn't want to get beaten out for the player( tells you what they though of Josh Rosen) so he proably put his best offer in. There's no shame in that, a team is going to bid up the price if two are interested because they can use leverage. It was no secret what Beane had to give, either. 

Yeah, Boat, that was my question earlier - are teams given an opportunity to counter an offer? Or is it a blind bidding war? I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, because I don't believe AZ was offering more than a 1st and a 2nd for pick 7. Our picks were higher in both rounds, so 12 and 56 should've got the deal done. The fact that Tampa could backtrack from their request of both firsts tells me that offers are made blind. Beane didn't know what AZ was offering, so he capitulated with a deal he could live with, one that would secure pick 7. 

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah, Boat, that was my question earlier - are teams given an opportunity to counter an offer? Or is it a blind bidding war? I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, because I don't believe AZ was offering more than a 1st and a 2nd for pick 7. Our picks were higher in both rounds, so 12 and 56 should've got the deal done. The fact that Tampa could backtrack from their request of both firsts tells me that offers are made blind. Beane didn't know what AZ was offering, so he capitulated with a deal he could live with, one that would secure pick 7. 

I would agree, it's a blind bid. That makes it tough, and the team with the pick has all the leverage. I think he could have drove a better bargain for the 10th pick for sure, as there wasn't any competition. Pre draft I heard a discussion on the WGR about the 5 pick with DEN, and they said the chart dictated that 12, 53, and 56 was just a few points off from that value. But DEN wanted pick 22 in there. So it's maybe a slight overpayment for the 7th pick, but not nearly the ransom the NYJ paid for moving just 3 spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Oh yeah, I agree. The most expensive chart - Jimmy Johnson's - says it should've only taken 12 and 56 to move up to 7. I realize things are inflated because it is a QB's market, I'm just wondering if the Cardinals were offering a sweeter deal than their first and their 2nd. Is it a blind deal, wherein the best offer wins even if it means you're giving up too much? Or would the Bills be allowed to counter whatever offer the Cardinals had on the table? Didn't sound like Beane was bidding against the Cards, it sounded like he was proposing whatever deal he found necessary to move up.

Wouldn’t the 7th pick be worth more than the 10th?

17 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

We really want to find that Welker/Edelman type. Hopefully McCloud or Proehl work out

I'm glad the kind of WR we are looking for is one that requires Brady to throw to him to be successful. 

Then drafted a QB with a way different style than Brady. If this is truly what is going on, as you say it, then these guys will fail.

Edited by Ol Dirty B