RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

16 minutes ago, Carter said:

Arizona had Rosen rated #1 the entire time. Allen was 5 on their list.  

This is just wrong. 

Can you provide a link to anything that backs up your claim? I'd be interested to read/watch it. 

Everything I have seen says they had Allen ahead of Rosen. 

41 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Can you provide a link to anything that backs up your claim? I'd be interested to read/watch it. 

Everything I have seen says they had Allen ahead of Rosen. 

Trust me, there will be no quote, no link, not even a "rumor" from someone he claims to know. He will just disappear and troll the same nonsense in a few days.

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Proof of this please

he's full of it.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/chris-simms-arizona-cardinals-heartbroken-over-missing-out-on-josh-allen

The Arizona Cardinals got their quarterback of the future in the 2018 NFL draft, but former NFL quarterback and current analyst Chris Simms reported on the latest episode of the Simms & Lefkoe podcast that the Arizona Cardinals are “heartbroken” they didn’t land Josh Allen.

The Cardinals saw three quarterbacks selected before they traded up to the 10th overall pick to draft Rosen, the former UCLA star who was in the conversation as a top-three pick. The selection was widely praised by experts – we gave the Cardinals an A+ grade on the pick – and celebrated by fans, but according to Simms, the Cardinals didn’t get the QB they wanted

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Your outlook on it is wrong

Dig deeper sir

Josh Allen is NOT J. Russel just because they are both physical specimens and cannon arm

I live in Raider country.....know all about the bust.  The guy had NO WORK ETHIC.....was extremely entitled coming out of college....and it got worse when he got to the Raiders.....no diet having, too much partying, no work ethic to continue to try to improve

Josh Allen has had doors shut in his face all the way to being drafted by the Bills.....he knows what work ethic is....for christ sake the kid is a FARM BOY.....have you ever moved pipe on a farm?   I have.......Josh knows what it means to work for a living.

Two totally different charactors

Having grown up on a farm myself, yes I do. That said, I think what makes this issue so hard to sell is that he's never been good. He wasn't recruited to a top high school, didn't get recruited to a big college, and performed very poorly at the small college he was at. Let's say he threw for 12,000 yards, 100 TDs and 10 INTs at Wyoming. The story would be, yea but he didn't play anyone. Can his game translate against real competition? Allen should have wiped the floor with the likes of San Jose state. Dropping 7 touchdowns in a game should have been a weekly occurrence for him, but it wasn't and he never did. In fact, I'm not aware of any games that his opponents came in "dead man walking".

You've got kids from Texas Tech and Oregon that have gone out there and embarrassed top notch competition on a consistent basis, and we don't even remember them after they go undrafted. Just because this kid is 6-5 and can throw the ball far doesn't make him a good QB. I want to pray that he'll find a way to inject a completely different player into his body over the next couple years, but I'm seriously doubtful that can happen.

How on earth can this kid compete with QBs from small conferences that ran over their opponents, let alone people like Brady who does it to the best teams in the league? I don't care how much effort you put forth, there's a thing called talent that usually rules the day.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Having grown up on a farm myself, yes I do. That said, I think what makes this issue so hard to sell is that he's never been good. He wasn't recruited to a top high school, didn't get recruited to a big college, and performed very poorly at the small college he was at. Let's say he threw for 12,000 yards, 100 TDs and 10 INTs at Wyoming. The story would be, yea but he didn't play anyone. Can his game translate against real competition? Allen should have wiped the floor with the likes of San Jose state. Dropping 7 touchdowns in a game should have been a weekly occurrence for him, but it wasn't and he never did. In fact, I'm not aware of any games that his opponents came in "dead man walking".

You've got kids from Texas Tech and Oregon that have gone out there and embarrassed top notch competition on a consistent basis, and we don't even remember them after they go undrafted. Just because this kid is 6-5 and can throw the ball far doesn't make him a good QB. I want to pray that he'll find a way to inject a completely different player into his body over the next couple years, but I'm seriously doubtful that can happen.

How on earth can this kid compete with QBs from small conferences that ran over their opponents, let alone people like Brady who does it to the best teams in the league? I don't care how much effort you put forth, there's a thing called talent that usually rules the day.

There has to be talent at the other positions to

Receivers gotta catch

Blocker's gotta block

The kid runs a pro style offense with that miss mash of players that dont even get drafted by the NFL and he is supposed to put up good numbers.

And if you grew up on a farm then you should know.....Allen knows what work is

• Like (+1) 1

Terrible take.

Jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State.

Andre Reed went to Kutztown.

Roethlisberger went to Miami of Ohio.

Wentz went to North Dakota State.

Mack went to UB.

Moss went to Marshall.

Farve went to S Miss

There's no reason to continue. Allen took a perennial losing (2-10 before he got there) team and turned it into a Bowl game winner basically on his own. 

Ignorant take. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There has to be talent at the other positions to

Receivers gotta catch

Blocker's gotta block

The kid runs a pro style offense with that miss mash of players that dont even get drafted by the NFL and he is supposed to put up good numbers.

And if you grew up on a farm then you should know.....Allen knows what work is

I'm pretty sure every starting QB in the NFl knows what "work" is. Lots of QBs have a great work ethic, I don't put a lot of value on it. I'd rather have people that are good. How good were Ben's receivers at Miami of Ohio? Flacco's at Delaware, Losman's at Tulane, Bortles at UCF, Wentz at NDSU, Kaep at Las Vegas. There's more successful college QBs from small schools than you could fit in a phonebook, but somehow Allen wasn't one of them. Could he be the next Matt Cassel? Sure, why not.

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You are aware there are 10 other guys on his offense and 11 other guys on his defense, right? Teammates that were far worse at their respective positions at Wyoming than Allen was at his. He's got a ways to go just because he was such a late bloomer comparatively, but you make it sound like he was the sole purpose Wyoming struggled. 

Just now, K-9 said:

You are aware there are 10 other guys on his offense and 11 other guys on his defense, right? Teammates that were far worse at their respective positions at Wyoming than Allen was at his. He's got a ways to go just because he was such a late bloomer comparatively, but you make it sound like he was the sole purpose Wyoming struggled. 

That's not at all what I'm trying to say. Good QBs can throw a whole team on their back to beat inferior schools. Big Ben threw Miami of Ohio on his back and carried them to a 13-1 record, throwing near 70%, for more yards, touchdowns and fewer interceptions than Allen did in his whole career. With that he was only deemed good enough to go at #11. What case can you make that Allen is a better prospect? You absolutely don't have to go to a big school to be great - that was never the point. But if you can't dominate the worst competition in college and carry your team on your back, how can you do it in the pros? 

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm pretty sure every starting QB in the NFl knows what "work" is. Lots of QBs have a great work ethic, I don't put a lot of value on it. I'd rather have people that are good. How good were Ben's receivers at Miami of Ohio? Flacco's at Delaware, Losman's at Tulane, Bortles at UCF, Wentz at NDSU, Kaep at Las Vegas. There's more successful college QBs from small schools than you could fit in a phonebook, but somehow Allen wasn't one of them. Could he be the next Matt Cassel? Sure, why not.

You are just the worst!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's not at all what I'm trying to say. Good QBs can throw a whole team on their back to beat inferior schools. Big Ben threw Miami of Ohio on his back and carried them to a 13-1 record, throwing near 70%, for more yards, touchdowns and fewer interceptions than Allen did in his whole career. With that he was only deemed good enough to go at #11. What case can you make that Allen is a better prospect? You absolutely don't have to go to a big school to be great - that was never the point. But if you can't dominate the worst competition in college and carry your team on your back, how can you do it in the pros? 

Big Ben was light years ahead of Allen in terms of development so I wouldn't try to make a case that Allen is a better prospect coming out. And Miami of Ohio was a far superior program to Wyoming to boot. Still is. 

I would also argue that Allen very much dominated his competition at times. Not as often as we'd like to see, but he certainly did at times. 

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I will repeat

Blockers gotta block

Pass catcher's gotta catch

AND the fact that he ran a pro style offense and not a dink and dunk easy throw offense like some of these other QBs needs to be taken into consideration.

QBs do not catch their own passes.

22 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

John Manziel

he started

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm betting he knows what work is. Unfortunately he also knows what cocaine benders are.

You are a knowledgeable poster.
I might guess McBeane wants diligence and hard work as much as talent on the Bills. Both Coaching and Players.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:35 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Just finished Allen's Air Force game, which is when he got injured. A damn shame too because the offense was just starting to get hot. The young players around him were developing nicely. The OLine was doing a better job opening holes for the run game and protecting Allen, the receivers were doing a much better job of gaining separation and making good plays on the ball. 

Wyoming would have won their last two games if Allen hadn't gotten hurt and finished the season 10-3 - which would have been the first 10 win season for Wyoming since 1996 and just the program's eighth double-digit win season in their 126 year history.

Here's the play for whoever is curious. Allen would finish the half and start the 2nd before having to leave. Tough kid.

• Like (+1) 1