RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

2 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Well I'm sure your a great guy, with very high standards. Snarky !@$hole

The real point is to show that Roethlisberger was playing against defenses that weren't very sophisticated, and inferior athletes. 

Any one of these drafted QB's has a great highlight reel, same as in years past.  Deshone Kizer has plenty of highlights, but if you bother to watch his game film, it becomes apparent if his primary is covered he struggles to do progressions and make quick decisions.  He's at best a backup in this league.

Josh Allen made a lot of poor decisions in his game film, and a good number of poor quality passes.  He also had no feel for the edge rushers, though decent pocket awareness otherwise.  He made some great throws also, both in timing and placement.  But sailed or inaccurate on many.

Knowing his Wonderlic score, raw talent, and sometimes poor footwork, I have warmed to the possibility of him being able to develop into a franchise guy.

But in seeing what he can't do on his game film, it'll take time.  That's not intending to be snarky, just get a realistic picture for a position that's very difficult to evaluate.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I like to think of him as a more mobile Flacco. You also hear Wentz a lot due to near identical measurables, same college coach, small conference, etc.

I was thinking Jumbo Tannehill with an elite arm

I'd feel a little better if we had a lot of great offensive minds surrounding Allen because he is a talented mold of clay. A lot of pressure on Daboll and Culley.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

Going into the draft, my QB wish list went like this:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

When we traded up to 7, and Rosen was still there, I thought for sure we were going to grab the other Josh. Nope they announced Josh Allen instead. I was furious. So was about 90% of the fans sitting with me at the Anchor Bar on Transit. Then I watched Rosen get drafted a few picks later. For the first time I noticed what an arrogant, entitled little weasel he is. When I got back to my room I started watching videos of each of them. Rosen comes off as a spoiled kid that has had everything handed to him. Allen is just the opposite. He’s had to work for everything he’s gotten. He’s humble. He’s appreciative. He’s a Buffalo guy. For those of you who are still pissed we didn’t take Rosen, I’d encourage you to do the same. Watch their interviews and form your OWN decision, not some “expert” with a blog...

• Like (+1) 9

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

When we traded up to 7, and Rosen was still there, I thought for sure we were going to grab the other Josh. Nope they announced Josh Allen instead. I was furious. So was about 90% of the fans sitting with me at the Anchor Bar on Transit. Then I watched Rosen get drafted a few picks later. For the first time I noticed what an arrogant, entitled little weasel he is. When I got back to my room I started watching videos of each of them. Rosen comes off as a spoiled kid that has had everything handed to him. Allen is just the opposite. He’s had to work for everything he’s gotten. He’s humble. He’s appreciative. He’s a Buffalo guy. For those of you who are still pissed we didn’t take Rosen, I’d encourage you to do the same. Watch their interviews and form your OWN decision, not some “expert” with a blog...

I also liked Rosen and to be honest.. I don't take to heart what Rosen has said has said to the media. Over confidence either gets you a long way in this league or you get stomped on. there is no in between here. lets just see how it end :D should be fun to watch

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

I was getting ready to rip on you until I read the body of your statement.  I agree.  All aboard the Allen train!!

• Like (+1) 1

i think a good 80-85% of this board wanted rosen over allen, including me.   i don't know enough about allen to hate the pick, but i do know these development projects that buffalo undertakes tend not to work out for the best.   either way it's done, and i'm not going to B word and moan until his play dictates it.  i get the immediate anger to the pick, but some of these adult tantrums are over the top.  just let this play out.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I also liked Rosen and to be honest.. I don't take to heart what Rosen has said has said to the media. Over confidence either gets you a long way in this league or you get stomped on. there is no in between here. lets just see how it end :D should be fun to watch

There’s a difference between confidence and arrogance. Rosen just really rubbed me the wrong way

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

I wanted Rosen too... But then I saw his interview after the draft and was like.... WOW. I'm almost glad we didn't take him.

• Like (+1) 1

In most cases, I think people are just seeing what they want to see.

I'm hoping beyond hope that Allen turns into a franchise QB, but he was definitely not on my radar as a top 10 pick.

I had him equal to Jackson with Rudolph close behind as late first/early second round picks.

Getting Edmunds at 16 saved the first round, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i think a good 80-85% of this board wanted rosen over allen, including me.   i don't know enough about allen to hate the pick, but i do know these development projects that buffalo undertakes tend not to work out for the best.   either way it's done, and i'm not going to B word and moan until his play dictates it.  i get the immediate anger to the pick, but some of these adult tantrums are over the top.  just let this play out.

I think people are playing up that “project” title a little too much. Watch that video he did with Trent Dilfer. It’s on here somewhere I believe. Also go on the WGR app and go back and listen to the interview with Jordan Palmer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Allen is the starter from day 1

• Like (+1) 1

Allen wasn't my top pick either but I feel like it's for the same reason many are complaining, he's not ready to play and we all want immediate results.

The good news is for everyone saying he's going to set the franchise back 5 years is wrong.  He will either boom or bust in the next 2 years and we can move on if we need to or we found our guy.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I think people are playing up that “project” title a little too much. Watch that video he did with Trent Dilfer. It’s on here somewhere I believe. Also go on the WGR app and go back and listen to the interview with Jordan Palmer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Allen is the starter from day 1

Even if he looks better than AJ and Nate in camp, I hope they ease him in. Live NFL action is whole different beast.

Don't ruin the kid. The Bills have plenty of time to develop this one right.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

the poster thurman#1 had a great post about the how allen is more of a development guy than a project guy.  i know i used both terms for him, but as you mentioned, development is a better term than project. i have no idea what it's going to take for allen to come along.  i just hope that unless he really is the best qb on the roster by a lot, he doesn't start any time soon.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

In most cases, I think people are just seeing what they want to see.

I'm hoping beyond hope that Allen turns into a franchise QB, but he was definitely not on my radar as a top 10 pick.

I had him equal to Jackson with Rudolph close behind as late first/early second round picks.

Getting Edmunds at 16 saved the first round, though.

Edmunds is going to be an absolute stud. If anyone is mad about that pick than they’re just looking for reasons to B word. Then Phillips in the 3rd. That guy is a monster. Easily my favorite pick in the draft

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

Yes, I agree and that type of arrogance won't go away. It can be good if your team is doing good, but it can also be very bad if the team and/or rosen is struggling.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Yeah I think we should kick the tires on hiring Palmer, he and Allen seem to have a good connection.

Also I think we passed on Rosen because Beane decided "project with great raw talent" is a better risk than "shoulder surgery and two concussions with a tiny frame".

I think a lot of people were worried Rosen is Bradford 2.0  and made of glass.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Even if he looks better than AJ and Nate in camp, I hope they ease him in. Live NFL action is whole different beast.

Don't ruin the kid. The Bills have plenty of time to develop this one right.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

the poster thurman#1 had a great post about the how allen is more of a development guy than a project guy.  i know i used both terms for him, but as you mentioned, development is a better term than project. i have no idea what it's going to take for allen to come along.  i just hope that unless he really is the best qb on the roster by a lot, he doesn't start any time soon.  

I agree I’d rather have AJ start at least until week 4 or 5 depending on how our record is. But listening to Beane the other day, he isn’t ruling it out. 

• Like (+1) 1