So who starts week 1??

Who starts week 1?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who starts week 1?

• Allen
    • Mccaron

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Allen out right wins the job over McCarron that would actually be a great sign. 

True. If it is equal, I would still give it to Allen. He is the future of the franchise so throw the kid into the fire and let him learn right away

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

True. If it is equal, I would still give it to Allen. He is the future of the franchise so throw the kid into the fire and let him learn right away

This is what i would have said with any of the other top 4 QBs. Just don’t feel he’s ready, which is why I never thought they would take him given their lack of an actual starter in the QB rooms 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is what i would have said with any of the other top 4 QBs. Just don’t feel he’s ready, which is why I never thought they would take him given their lack of an actual starter in the QB rooms 

I hear ya. He definitely is going to be a project. Let's just hope he will be further along than we think

Edited by billsfan11

13 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Allen or Mccaron?

I may be in the minority, but I think Allen will win the job in pre season

I voted AJ, but I definitely feel Allen can totally win the job in the preseason.  I think ideally, with any young QB the best scenario is for them to sit as long as they can.  But him and AJ couldn't be more different.  Allen has a cannon and mobility, if he comes in and starts wowing, I can easily see him winning the job since AJ is no lock to have a strong preseason either.  

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I voted AJ, but I definitely feel Allen can totally win the job in the preseason.  I think ideally, with any young QB the best scenario is for them to sit as long as they can.  But him and AJ couldn't be more different.  Allen has a cannon and mobility, if he comes in and starts wowing, I can easily see him winning the job since AJ is no lock to have a strong preseason either.  

Fair points.

I was always old school in terms of letting the VET start  until last year when l I saw what Houston did. Started Tom Savage then went to Watson and worked out great until the injury.

I get the scenarios are completely different, but maybe their best bet is just to let the kid learn. Allen is the future and Mccaron is just the place holder

3 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Obviously McCarron.  That's why we signed him, knowing we wanted Allen, who everyone knows is a grower and not a shower!

Beane said he wants open competition in camp. Mccaron is virtually signed for backup money

Edited by billsfan11

21 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Allen out right wins the job over McCarron that would actually be a great sign. 

Hopefully Allen because it means he earned it...

well, that is if McCarron is any good...if McCarron sucks it basically is him being handed the job because they don't want option B...

Bills have quite a collection of hot WAGs(Wives and Girlfriends) going on...McCarron, Allen and Poyer are all married to or dating stunners....

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Beane said he wants open competition in camp. Mccaron is virtually signed for backup money

Allen is NOT starting day one.  The oldest cliche in the book is "Open Competition".

I've already ditched my Rosen mancrush and jumped on the Allen bandwagon, but still, let's be honest here...

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Fair points.

I was always old school in terms of letting the VET start  until last year when l I saw what Houston did. Started Tom Savage then went to Watson and worked out great until the injury.

I get the scenarios are completely different, but maybe their best bet is just to let the kid learn. Allen is the future and Mccaron is just the place holder

Also fair points...but there is more to consider here.  There is a lot to gain by starting AJ...because if he plays well you have trade value next year.  You can trade him to start Allen like how KC flipped Alex Smith to make room for Mahomes.  And if AJ plays great, you can always hold Allen and AJ one more year and see if AJ cements the job and trade Allen instead and get some picks back.  

So, I do think there is more to gain by letting AJ play first.  However, I do see how Allen might win the job outright in camp, and I would be good with that.  But if they are close, I think you let AJ play first.

Just now, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Allen is NOT starting day one.  The oldest cliche in the book is "Open Competition".

I've already ditched my Rosen mancrush and jumped on the Allen bandwagon, but still, let's be honest here...

You very may well be correct. But Mccaron is signed for dirt cheap. The Bills in no way are heavily invested in him for this year.

Allen is a bet on great physical tools and, reportedly, a good work ethic and intelligence.

Wyoming to the NFL is a huge step up in competition AND the trades tonight have depleted the team of valuable draft picks who might have brought badly needed OL and WR help.

if they are smart, they will not throw the rookie in behind that dumpster fire OL with little receiving help to boot.

unfortunately, McCarron is the sacrificial lamb to take one for the team.  This has the look of a team that has top 10, maybe top 5, pick potential.  I’m thinking 6-10 in the optimistic end.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Also fair points...but there is more to consider here.  There is a lot to gain by starting AJ...because if he plays well you have trade value next year.  You can trade him to start Allen like how KC flipped Alex Smith to make room for Mahomes.  And if AJ plays great, you can always hold Allen and AJ one more year and see if AJ cements the job and trade Allen instead and get some picks back.  

So, I do think there is more to gain by letting AJ play first.  However, I do see how Allen might win the job outright in camp, and I would be good with that.  But if they are close, I think you let AJ play first.

Was Mccaron's deal a 1 year or 2 year deal? I can't remember. Was it 2 years at 12 mil or something?

Just now, billsfan11 said:

You very may well be correct. But Mccaron is signed for dirt cheap. The Bills in no way are heavily invested in him for this year.

No, of course not, that's why they traded up for Allen.  But they did sign McCarron for a specific reason: to be the bridge!  Everyone wants to pie-in-the-sky like Allen will all of a sudden, now that he's ours, become an instant pro-ready QB, but guess what, peeps, he's still the same dude he was four hours ago!

It's just very straightforward, imo.

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

No debate whatsoever. McCarron will start all season. Baring injury obviously 

All season? I disagree with that. You may be certainly be right about week 1. But if AJ stinks up the joint and the Bills start off 1-6, there is a strong chance Allen would see game action

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Was Mccaron's deal a 1 year or 2 year deal? I can't remember. Was it 2 years at 12 mil or something?

Two year deal...so if he has a solid season, we could potentially flip him this offseason if Allen is ready to start.  Or, again if he has a very good season, then we let him payout that 2nd year and see if he keeps the job, and if so they would obviously be in position to move Allen too.  

Personally, I think Allen will eventually win the job, but AJ could play well enough to fetch us a decent draft pick in a trade too.  I mean we just flipped Tyrod for a pretty good draft pick.  Beane is a wizard

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

No, of course not, that's why they traded up for Allen.  But they did sign McCarron for a specific reason: to be the bridge!  Everyone wants to pie-in-the-sky like Allen will all of a sudden, now that he's ours, become an instant pro-ready QB, but guess what, peeps, he's still the same dude he was four hours ago!

It's just very straightforward, imo.

Seattle signed Charlie Whitehurst to be the bridge in 2012 for more money than AJ even In the modern day cap, and Wilson ended up winning the job.

Combined that with teams throwing rookies more into the fire, there is absolutely no guarantee who starts week 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hopefully Allen because it means he earned it...

well, that is if McCarron is any good...if McCarron sucks it basically is him being handed the job because they don't want option B...

Bills have quite a collection of hot WAGs(Wives and Girlfriends) going on...McCarron, Allen and Poyer are all married to or dating stunners....

Pic of Allen’s GF?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Two year deal...so if he has a solid season, we could potentially flip him this offseason if Allen is ready to start.  Or, again if he has a very good season, then we let him payout that 2nd year and see if he keeps the job, and if so they would obviously be in position to move Allen too.  

Personally, I think Allen will eventually win the job, but AJ could play well enough to fetch us a decent draft pick in a trade too.  I mean we just flipped Tyrod for a pretty good draft pick.  Beane is a wizard

You have very reasonable points

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he is playing equally with McCarron then why wouldn't he be ready? For that to be the case McCarron would have to regress.