What are your ya'll's thoughts on Marcus Mariota as a Franchise QB?

Just to give you something different to discuss than draft strategy and which QB to pick. Having grown up in Alabama most everyone that was a pro football fan was either Falcons or Saints. I, for some mysterious reason, fell in love with the 'Fins. Marino, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, SB '84,  Shula, etc. After Marino retired, I quit following the team and focused mostly on 'Bama football. However, I moved just South of Nashville 10 years ago, and although I have reeealllly tried to become a Titans fan, even went to a few games, they really make it hard to like them. Very hohum roster after Mcnair, no blockbuster draft picks, few competitive teams, etc. 

Folks around were crazy about drafting the "franchise" Marcus Mariota, and still think he is the best thing since Mcnair. He is a very likeable guy, says the right things, involved in the community, and is seen as a great leader according to what I 've read about him...but I am not sure I see him as a championship caliber QB...someone who can put the team on his shoulders and win it with his arm.

So, for those willing to do "whatever it takes" to land one of the kids in the draft, would you give up the same for Mariota?

The Titans just picked up his 5th year. In the previous 4 years, he has 1 playoff appearance and an 88.6 % QBR. Is this "franchise"?

Well Bills nation is always taking applications for fans. However be forewarned if you choose to become a Bills fan you are locked in for life. They call themselves the billsmafia, once you are in , you are in and there is no out.

Martiota would be an option, but whats the cost? How about we start off with Pick #22 and a conditional

29 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just to give you something different to discuss than draft strategy and which QB to pick. Having grown up in Alabama most everyone that was a pro football fan was either Falcons or Saints. I, for some mysterious reason, fell in love with the 'Fins. Marino, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, SB '84,  Shula, etc. After Marino retired, I quit following the team and focused mostly on 'Bama football. However, I moved just South of Nashville 10 years ago, and although I have reeealllly tried to become a Titans fan, even went to a few games, they really make it hard to like them. Very hohum roster after Mcnair, no blockbuster draft picks, few competitive teams, etc. 

Folks around were crazy about drafting the "franchise" Marcus Mariota, and still think he is the best thing since Mcnair. He is a very likeable guy, says the right things, involved in the community, and is seen as a great leader according to what I 've read about him...but I am not sure I see him as a championship caliber QB...someone who can put the team on his shoulders and win it with his arm.

So, for those willing to do "whatever it takes" to land one of the kids in the draft, would you give up the same for Mariota?

The Titans just picked up his 5th year. In the previous 4 years, he has 1 playoff appearance and an 88.6 % QBR. Is this "franchise"?

Plays like Tyrod Taylor with more turnovers. They've invested in playmakers - something we never did under Tyrod - and his numbers don't show any real improvement.  They have built a really good offensive line - and still no real breakout. 

They rolled an offense with Walker, Decker, Matthews, Davis, Murray, and Henry.  They have Lewan Conklin and Kline in a strong o-line... And he went for 3200 yards 13 TDs and 15 INTs.  

I think some of that can be attributed to playing under Mularkey in a conservative offense, so we'll see if he can improve under Vrabel and the Coordinator they pulled from the Rams.  He seems to struggle with rhythm passing, and his timing in general just looked off whenever I watched him.  Same went for Wentz in 2016, and he looked vastly improved in 2017, so it's certainly possible he can improve.

24 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Well Bills nation is always taking applications for fans. However be forewarned if you choose to become a Bills fan you are locked in for life. They call themselves the billsmafia, once you are in , you are in and there is no out.

Martiota would be an option, but whats the cost? How about we start off with Pick #22 and a conditional

LOL. I was more looking for (hypothetically, of course):

If Mariota is and has been your QB for the last 4 years, with the same stats/results that he has put up for the titans, would billsmafia be satisfied that he is the "franchise QB" for the next decade?

Would you trade 12, 22, and next year's 1st for Marcus Mariota?

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Plays like Tyrod Taylor with more turnovers. They've invested in playmakers - something we never did under Tyrod - and his numbers don't show any real improvement.  They have built a really good offensive line - and still no real breakout. 

They rolled an offense with Walker, Decker, Matthews, Davis, Murray, and Henry.  They have Lewan Conklin and Kline in a strong o-line... And he went for 3200 yards 13 TDs and 15 INTs.  

So much this! I tried bringing this up to my Titan's fanatic friends, and they will not have any of it. He is the franchise and that's that. 

3 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

If Mariota is and has been your QB for the last 4 years, with the same stats/results that he has put up for the titans, would billsmafia be satisfied that he is the "franchise QB" for the next decade?

Knowing what we know.. I'm willing to make #12 straight up.

7 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

So much this! I tried bringing this up to my Titan's fanatic friends, and they will not have any of it. He is the franchise and that's that. 

Tyrod put up a better line with Zay Jones, Shady, Dawkins/MILLS!, Clay, and what... thompson and a couple games from mathews and benjamin?  Also with a terrible o-coordinator.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think some of that can be attributed to playing under Mularkey in a conservative offense, so we'll see if he can improve under Vrabel and the Coordinator they pulled from the Rams.  He seems to struggle with rhythm passing, and his timing in general just looked off whenever I watched him.  Same went for Wentz in 2016, and he looked vastly improved in 2017, so it's certainly possible he can improve.

I share some of your concerns, but he was really banged up last year ( https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-reportedly-battling-hamstring-ankle-injuries-may-need-surgery/ ) and it greatly affected his mobility.

44 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

He’s good. Real good. Now that Mularkey is gone he will be great. Coaching is big in this. Just look at Goff. 

You cant blame middling QB performance on coaching all the time.  Remember how so many here were saying that JP and EJ just needed different coaching to shine....

56 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

In his first two years (27 games) he had 45 TDs, 19 Ints, with 6,200 yards passing and completed more than 61 percent of his passes.

A 16 game average of 26.6 TDs, 11.25 picks, and 3,674 yards.

I'm cool with that.