Why the Bills Won't Trade Up to #2 (or 3 or 4)

Shaw66

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this too.   I just can't see how the Giants can afford to pass on a QB.   So three QBs go in the top 4, and as you say maybe 4 in 5.   

So if the Bills' favorite QB is available at 4, MAYBE they can put together a deal with the Browns to get ahead of the Broncos.  

All seems pretty remote to me.   

The Giants pass on a QB high if Eli has gas in the tank. To me that is obvious. This draft is perfect for the Giants because their major needs are O-line and running back. This draft is deep in both. They could be a Superbowl contender in one swoop if Eli still has it.

Picking a QB is at best a 50-50 chance at a good QB and you usually have to wait years to find out. Take the linemen and an RB and go for it.

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Hello?   You're not listening.   It isn't a question of whether the Bills have enough to offer to move up.   It's a question whether the Giants will take ANYTHING to move out of the second pick.   

The Giants are playing Eli this year, apparently, and maybe next year.   But pretty soon, they're going to need a QB, and they aren't likely to have another opportunity as good as they have this year.   

So the Giants are saying "screw the draft trade chart."   The Giants don't want five picks starting at 12; they want one pick at 2.   And if they don't a pick at 2, they want one at 3 or 4.    The chances of putting together a deal with the Giants and the Browns to get the Giants to 4 are very, very slim.   That's what I explained in my post.   

NickelCity is right.   There probably are going to be a lot of broken hearts around 10 pm on Thursday.   

Mason Rudolph, here we come.  

I hope this as on point as your takes on Cousins to Buffalo.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Like lots of people here, I've been thinking about what might happen between now and Thursday night.  

We've seen some rumors about the Bills talking to the Giants and some rumors about there being no deal with the Giants.  

Well, as I think about, it seems clear that there'll be no deal with Giants because the Bills can't offer the Giants anything that works for the Giants.  

Either the Giants want one of the good QBs or they don't.   If they want one of the good QBs, then the only trade they'll do is to move to 1, 3 or possibly 4.   If they trade down below 4, the QB they want could be gone.   If they want one of the stud non-QBs, they can't move to 5 because the Browns may take the best stud non-QB at 4.   

So it seems likely the only way the Bills could get to #2 would be if the Bills first traded to 4 and then traded up again.   But getting to 4 will be expensive - probably at least the 12 and 22, and that would be only if the Browns didn't like any of the studs at the top of the draft.   Then from 4 to 2 probably would cost next year's first.   

There's a rumor that the Bills actually offered those three firsts to the Giants and the Giants said no.   The Giants said no, probably, because they know they don't want to pick below 3 or 4 at the worst, and getting those three firsts doesn't help them UNLESS THEY have a deal with the Browns for 4.   

So that means to me the only route there is for the Bills to get to #2 is essentially a three-team trade, where the Bills go to #2, the Giants go to #4 and get the Bills' first round pick next year, and the Browns get the Bills' #12 and #22.   (Maybe a few late-round picks thrown in here and there to grease the skids.)   That seems to me to be a very, very hard deal to make.   Giants more or less won't do it if they want a QB, because it lets Buffalo and the Jets get in the QB line ahead of the Giants.   Only can work if the Giants want one of the top-of-the-draft non-QB studs AND the Browns don't want any of them.   

And it's much easier for the Giants to tell the Jets they're looking to trade out of #2, and to protect themselves the Jets would need to trade up.   So the Giants can easily pick up another nice pick by moving back to #3, at no cost to them so long as they don't want a QB.   

So the Bills are picking, at the very best, 4th.   Even that seems like a stretch.   The QB they want would have to be there (after the Browns, Giants and Jets have taken two or three of the QBs), and the Bills would have to be willing to give 12 and 22 to get there.   Possible, not likely.  

Can the Bills get to 5?   Only if the Broncos don't want the QB the Bills want. 

So it looks to me like Bills will be picking after at least 3 QBs have come off the board.  

If the Bills actually did offer the Giants three first round picks (12, 22 and 2019) for #2, I wonder this:   Two months ago, that was  21, 22 and Cordy Glenn.   Did the Bills offer THAT to the Colts for #3?   THAT's the deal the Bills should have made, if it was possible.   The problem always was that the Jets had a much more attractive first-round pick to offer.  

it seems to me that you are assuming the Giants will take a QB.  From everyone in the know, they aren’t going to.  so there goes the whole “Bills picking after 3 QB’s are off the board” conversation

At this point I am not believing much of anything I read about the draft. It seems clear that we won't know anything for sure till Thursday night. None of us knows the "context" of the supposed 3 #1 picks "offer"... Did they turn it down (assuming it even was actually made) because they like Darnold for instance and want to wait and see what Cleveland actually does? Are they hoping to get an even better offer on Draft Nite? None of us can know these things. And How does McBeane actually feel about the 4 Qb's that we are talking about? Does he have a "favorite" or does he like all 4 about equally? STAY TUNED...

And can we even be sure that the Giants truly covet Barkley when Chubb might be the non-QB that they really want? If the Bills trade up to 5 the Giants may have a different opinion of the Bills offer... TUNE IN DRAFT NITE!

Edited by DefenseWins
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It doesn't matter - it's all about a trade partner.  

Something that may help you is the QB's in this years draft from best to worst will not be in the same order they were drafted.  

This can not be repeated enough.  The QB in this year's draft, in terms of NFL performance, WILL NOT rank in their draft order.

I know people like to get all "we can't tell anything from draft history!  Each draft and each player is new and unique!"  Well, no, you can't predict how an individual player will perform in the NFL or what choices an individual team will make, but you can get a pretty good idea, overall, how things are likely to fall out.

I did a post on this a while ago, and White Linen is ABSOLUTELY correct.    It is very unlikely that, in 3 years, we will find that the QB in this draft were drafted in the order of their NFL performance.  Injuries will take a toll.  So will NFL FO outsmarting themselves and failing to correctly weight important factors like ability to throw accurately, process game information quickly (not equal to Wonderlic!), and overall work ethic/want-it.

Let's do a couple examples, with Performance Rankings from Career AV off pro-football-reference (to use a well-known source; I would personally rank them a bit differently). 

I'll give the draft order, then re-shuffle according to CarAV still giving the original draft order.

2011.  Predictions pre-draft had 4 or 5 QB taken high in the first.  Turned out to be not so high, and not the same QB:

2011 QB Draft order: 1- Newton 8-Locker 10-Gabbert 12-Ponder 35-Dalton 36-Kaepernick

2011 NFL performance ranking: 1-Newton 35-Dalton 36-Kaepernick 10-Gabbert (Locker and Ponder out of NFL, Kaepernick looking. )

2012 is another draft where a lot of QB were predicted to be taken high in the first:

2012 QB Draft Order: 1-Luck 2-Griffin 8-Tannehill 22-Weedon 57-Osweiler 75-Wilson 88-Foles 102-Cousins

2012 NFL performance ranking: 75-Wilson 1-Luck 8-Tannehill 102-Cousins 2-Griffin 88-Foles 57- Osweiler (Weedon out of football; I would put Cousins and Foles ahead of Tannehill)

2014:

2014 QB Draft Order: 3-Bortles 22-Manziel 32-Bridgewater 36-Carr 62-Garropolo 120-Thomas 135-Savage

2014 NFL Performance Ranking: 3-Bortles 36-Carr 32-Bridgewater 62-Garropolo (Manziel out of football, Thomas & Savage backups; I would put Garropolo ahead of them all on limited data and possibly Carr 2nd, again on limited data)

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I chuckled at that low-ball estimate. Whatever happens, can the servers on here handle it?

In some cases I suspect mental health is an issue which is no joking matter so I worry whether the posters can handle it.  When people say that the Giants HAVE TO follow their recommended course of action for example it tells me that somebody is having trouble facing reality.  I hope nobody goes off the deep end and hurts someone (seriously).  It's just a game people.

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

A thought provoking post. I of course, have no idea what anybody will do, besides being very sure the Jets will take a QB.

Here is my take on what the Giants might do if they do not want a QB at #2, and how the Bills could get that #2 pick.

Let's say the Bills will only trade the farm for one player so they can't make a deal until the Browns pick. 

A giant swap of picks when the Giants go on the clock could lead to disaster for the Giants if they want to pick higher than #12 and plus then they have a whole different draft board profile working with a hugely different set of picks (The Bills old ones). It would be a lot to contend with during the draft with the clock ticking I think. Maybe not a smart thing to do.

Except if the Bills have done that work for them already, without anyone knowing. The Bills could and should already know pretty much what it will take to get to picks 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 based on the picks they have. So the Bills could offer in effect, the 7th overall pick, plus added picks, to the Giants for their #2. They wouldn't give the Giants that 7 pick directly but they would give them the picks to get it, plus whatever else they had to add to make it worth the jump from 7 to 2.

No one in the Giants division picks before #13 so there would be no complication there.

In sum, the Gaints probably can't react quickly enough to re-plan their draft carefully if they trade on draft day. But the Bills could already have the deals worked out in principle for the Giants so they just hand them the keys so to speak. And they could do this because Gentleman and Beane are friends who trust each other.

What do people think?

I think something like this already has happened.   That's what GMs are doing all day.   So Beane's already talked to the Giants and found out how far down the Giants are willing to move (more about that in a second).   So the Giants said "we might be interested if you could get us to 7."  So then Beane calls whoever has 7 and talks to them about whether they'd be willing to move back to 12 on draft night, and what it might cost.   So they maybe put together a tentative deal that they agree they'd be willing to finalize once the Giants are on the clock.   

Then everyone waits for Thursday night.   If the guy the Giants want gets taken by the Browns, they talk to the Bills and say "if you can get 7, we'll do the deal."  Bills call #7 and say "we'll do it if you'll do it."   Done deal, Bills call the Giants (they're probably actually waiting on the other line), finalize, notify the league and take their QB.  

However, I think that only happens if (1) the Giants don't want a QB and (2) the guy they do want (Barkely, probably) gets taken by the Browns at 1.   If the Giants want a QB, they're going to take their first choice at 2 or, if the Browns take him, they'll take their second choice.    

That was the point of my original post.    If there are one or two guys the Giants want at the top of the draft, the Giants aren't trading out of 2 unless they're trading to 3 or possibly 4.   So although, yes, it's possible that something could happen like you describe, I think it's very unlikely, because the Giants just aren't going to want to move that far back.   

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

it seems to me that you are assuming the Giants will take a QB.  From everyone in the know, they aren’t going to.  so there goes the whole “Bills picking after 3 QB’s are off the board” conversation

I agree, I think the Giants made that decision at the end of last season. I just don't think they'd smooth over everything with Eli, get a new HC then pick a QB at 2. May as well have just traded Eli in the offseason and turned the page. I think the Gmen believe they have a couple more seasons with Manning. In short , they think they are better than the pundits do. Taking a QB to sit until 2020 seems unlikely at their draft position. 

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

The Giants pass on a QB high if Eli has gas in the tank. To me that is obvious. This draft is perfect for the Giants because their major needs are O-line and running back. This draft is deep in both. They could be a Superbowl contender in one swoop if Eli still has it.

Picking a QB is at best a 50-50 chance at a good QB and you usually have to wait years to find out. Take the linemen and an RB and go for it.

1.  Eli hasn't done much of anything for two years and clearly seems to be declining.  

2.  Eli is 37 and his brother and Brady are the only QBs in the history of the game to have had any real success in the league after 37.  

3.  Eli has only two years left on his contract. 

4.  No way to know when they will have another opportunity this good to get a top QB.   

Sure seems like the Giants are set up perfectly to draft the next QB now, have him sit for a year and start in 2019.   

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think something like this already has happened.   That's what GMs are doing all day.   So Beane's already talked to the Giants and found out how far down the Giants are willing to move (more about that in a second).   So the Giants said "we might be interested if you could get us to 7."  So then Beane calls whoever has 7 and talks to them about whether they'd be willing to move back to 12 on draft night, and what it might cost.   So they maybe put together a tentative deal that they agree they'd be willing to finalize once the Giants are on the clock.   

Then everyone waits for Thursday night.   If the guy the Giants want gets taken by the Browns, they talk to the Bills and say "if you can get 7, we'll do the deal."  Bills call #7 and say "we'll do it if you'll do it."   Done deal, Bills call the Giants (they're probably actually waiting on the other line), finalize, notify the league and take their QB.  

However, I think that only happens if (1) the Giants don't want a QB and (2) the guy they do want (Barkely, probably) gets taken by the Browns at 1.   If the Giants want a QB, they're going to take their first choice at 2 or, if the Browns take him, they'll take their second choice.    

That was the point of my original post.    If there are one or two guys the Giants want at the top of the draft, the Giants aren't trading out of 2 unless they're trading to 3 or possibly 4.   So although, yes, it's possible that something could happen like you describe, I think it's very unlikely, because the Giants just aren't going to want to move that far back.   

Good pinpointing of the difference between us on this one. I think they are salivating to to move back!

If I am Gettleman I got a 2 time Superbowl winning QB though older, perhaps the best wide receiver in football (for one more year) I get me a solid line to protect the passer and run block, I get myself a top notch running back, and away we go! To me picking Barkley at #2 is Sammy Watkins all over again, but a little worse.

I will be extra interested in what Gettlman does to see which way he goes with it Thursday.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

1.  Eli hasn't done much of anything for two years and clearly seems to be declining.  

2.  Eli is 37 and his brother and Brady are the only QBs in the history of the game to have had any real success in the league after 37.  

4.  No way to know when they will have another opportunity this good to get a top QB.   

Sure seems like the Giants are set up perfectly to draft the next QB now, have him sit for a year and start in 2019.   

This has been my take for a long time now and Joe Webb plus Eli's remaining two years be damned.  As far as trying to trade Eli most likely feelers were put out and the offers were not even chicken feed.

You will be wrong @Shaw66.  I’ll make a bet with you that NYG wont draft a QB at #2.  I suggest a $40 gift card to Tim

Horton’s or $50 to Chic-Fil-A

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

... 2.  Eli is 37 and his brother and Brady are the only QBs in the history of the game to have had any real success in the league after 37.  ...

John Elway , Kurt Warner,  Rich Gannon, Drew Brees, Steve Young and Y.A. Tittle all say hello.

Edited by Foxx

2 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

The Bills do NOT deserve our respect or patience. I don’t care where they get him, but they need to get Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield. Or...or they can go to hell. 

The Bills can't force teams to do a trade that they don't want to do.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

A tiny fraction of the number of QB's who have played going back to the days of Y.A. Tittle (over 50 years ago).

i don't disagree. my point is that that is significantly more than the OP's statement. thereby invalidating his argument.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

1) Eli is 37 and they had him behind a lousy line. He had no viable running game.

2) 2 quarterbacks have won superbowls at his age :)

3) Soon they will lose Eli to age or contract issues or both.

4) No way to know when you will have an opportunity to get another Superbowl caliber QB.

The Giants were expected to be  playoff team last year. This years draft is set up perfectly for them to repair the major problems and make a run for it.

The OP is right and wrong about the Giants. Yes if they want a QB there is little chance they will trade out.  However if they want to add pieces around Eli, multiple picks is the way to go.  Barkely is a RB and though probably the most talented player in the draft he is still a RB. That is a position that can be filled easily later in the draft or on the cheap in FA.  I would be shocked if they stay at #2 and take Barkely.  Nelson and Chubb are much better choices for the Giants or even a top OLB like  Smith or Edmunds one of which is sure to be available at #12.  

So if the Bills want to get to # 2, they either give up 12,22, and next years #1 or they find a way to get to 6 or 7 and then make another jump to 2.

The reality is the Giants control the Bills future.  Best case scenarios are the Giants take a non-QB which I don't think they will if Darnold is on the board.  Or the Jets take Mayfield and Rosen is still available at #4.  Last best case scenario, Allen falls out of the top 4.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

You will be wrong @Shaw66.  I’ll make a bet with you that NYG wont draft a QB at #2.  I suggest a $40 gift card to Tim

Horton’s or $50 to Chic-Fil-A

That's fine.   I'm not trying to predict what the Giants are going to do.    If the Giants aren't taking a QB at 2, then they are NOT trading out of 2, because there will a great player waiting for the Giants at #2.   I think the only way the Giants trade out, at least to a place beyond 4, is if they don't want a QB AND at #1 the Browns take whomever the Giants DO want.   That's the only scenario where the Giants won't want to stay at #2.  

I DO think the Giants are taking a QB at 2, because I think it's the right way to handle their QB situation.   But that's just my take on it, and I'm completely comfortable with the fact that the Giants may be taking a different view of it.   

My whole point in posting was not to predict what the Giants want.  My point was that I don't think the Bills can get to 2 because it's quite unlikely that the Giants are willing to leave 2, except maybe to swap with the Jets.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a good point.  

I agree.   I think the Bills have to worry that the Dolphins want a QB or someone else will trade up.   Of course, there has to be a QB the Bills want.  

6-9 is far more within reach for teams such as Arizona, New England, and even Pittsburgh.  Belichick seems to do wonders with middling FA' so he is not sweating the cost like other teams would.

19 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

The Bills do NOT deserve our respect or patience. I don’t care where they get him, but they need to get Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield. Or...or they can go to hell. 

...yet another highly insightful, contributory post which is your signature no matter which site you permeate.......rarified air on that high horse is a two fold danger being (1) a long way down if you fall and (2) brain cell damage due to oxygen deprivation...good Lord I think I've seen it all....SMH.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Like lots of people here, I've been thinking about what might happen between now and Thursday night.  

We've seen some rumors about the Bills talking to the Giants and some rumors about there being no deal with the Giants.  

Well, as I think about, it seems clear that there'll be no deal with Giants because the Bills can't offer the Giants anything that works for the Giants.  

Either the Giants want one of the good QBs or they don't.   If they want one of the good QBs, then the only trade they'll do is to move to 1, 3 or possibly 4.   If they trade down below 4, the QB they want could be gone.   If they want one of the stud non-QBs, they can't move to 5 because the Browns may take the best stud non-QB at 4.   

So it seems likely the only way the Bills could get to #2 would be if the Bills first traded to 4 and then traded up again.   But getting to 4 will be expensive - probably at least the 12 and 22, and that would be only if the Browns didn't like any of the studs at the top of the draft.   Then from 4 to 2 probably would cost next year's first.   

There's a rumor that the Bills actually offered those three firsts to the Giants and the Giants said no.   The Giants said no, probably, because they know they don't want to pick below 3 or 4 at the worst, and getting those three firsts doesn't help them UNLESS THEY have a deal with the Browns for 4.   

So that means to me the only route there is for the Bills to get to #2 is essentially a three-team trade, where the Bills go to #2, the Giants go to #4 and get the Bills' first round pick next year, and the Browns get the Bills' #12 and #22.   (Maybe a few late-round picks thrown in here and there to grease the skids.)   That seems to me to be a very, very hard deal to make.   Giants more or less won't do it if they want a QB, because it lets Buffalo and the Jets get in the QB line ahead of the Giants.   Only can work if the Giants want one of the top-of-the-draft non-QB studs AND the Browns don't want any of them.   

And it's much easier for the Giants to tell the Jets they're looking to trade out of #2, and to protect themselves the Jets would need to trade up.   So the Giants can easily pick up another nice pick by moving back to #3, at no cost to them so long as they don't want a QB.   

So the Bills are picking, at the very best, 4th.   Even that seems like a stretch.   The QB they want would have to be there (after the Browns, Giants and Jets have taken two or three of the QBs), and the Bills would have to be willing to give 12 and 22 to get there.   Possible, not likely.  

Can the Bills get to 5?   Only if the Broncos don't want the QB the Bills want. 

So it looks to me like Bills will be picking after at least 3 QBs have come off the board.  

If the Bills actually did offer the Giants three first round picks (12, 22 and 2019) for #2, I wonder this:   Two months ago, that was  21, 22 and Cordy Glenn.   Did the Bills offer THAT to the Colts for #3?   THAT's the deal the Bills should have made, if it was possible.   The problem always was that the Jets had a much more attractive first-round pick to offer.  

Well thought out, sir.  

As to the Broncos possibly trading out of pick 5 - the Broncos surely need a QB to be the long-term answer as I can’t imagine that they think that Case Keenum is that answer.  So, if the Broncos are willing to trade from 5 to 12, it very likely means that they don’t think that whomever is left at QB is a long-term answer that is better than Keenum.  While it is true that the Broncos may not be the be-all-end-all at evaluating QBs, it would leave me with great concern that a team that really needs a “franchise” QB would be willing to trade out of a spot that we want in to so that we can get a QB.

1 hour ago, KRT88 said:

This just isn't going to happen.  Buffalo seems far more likely to move up to 6 thu 9! They are not staying at 12.

What does it feel like with your head in the sand?  Not being able to or not wanting to trade up (due to picks before the pick we could reasonably get is a very real possibility.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well thought out, sir.  

As to the Broncos possibly trading out of pick 5 - the Broncos surely need a QB to be the long-term answer as I can’t imagine that they think that Case Keenum is that answer.  So, if the Broncos are willing to trade from 5 to 12, it very likely means that they don’t think that whomever is left at QB is a long-term answer that is better than Keenum.  While it is true that the Broncos may not be the be-all-end-all at evaluating QBs, it would leave me with great concern that a team that really needs a “franchise” QB would be willing to trade out of a spot that we want in to so that we can get a QB.

It would be ironic indeed for the Bills to have traded out of 10 in 2017 so that Andy Reid could take Mahomes and then trade UP to 5 in 2018 to take a QB John Elway didn't want.  

I don't really see anything new here to discuss.

What the Bills do will ultimately involve a series of complex choices/events made by multiple organizations and we do not have nearly enough knowledge to make any kind of accurate prediction now.

Save your energy for 5 minutes after we make our pick Thursday night.

There will be a lot of educated discussion to be had then.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Shaw, I think you're just looking at "3 1st round picks!!!" too superficially. Where those picks are and what their valued at is what matters.

Shaw, I think you're looking at "3 1st round picks!!!" too superficially. Where those picks are, what they're valued at, and most importantly, Beane's intentions and goals are what matters.

I've been assuming from the moment we acquired an extra 1st round pick last year in the draft that McDermott wanted to wait 1 year to pursue getting a Franchise QB since Whaley, not Beane was still our GM and, therefore, in charge of college scouting for the 2017 QBs.

And then when Beane got here, he kept compiling picks... shrewdly getting them for players McDermott and Beane inherited and didn't really want.

Our #12 pick was the result of swapping 1sts and trading away a player who may have played well for this team in years past but almost never saw the field (did he ever?) in 2017, our first playoff year in 17 years as a rookie filled in capably for the year and will only get better.

One of our 2nd rounders was acquired trading away a talented but oft-injured WR who then wasn't even resigned by the same team who traded for him. And based on Sammy's new salary with KC, he wouldn't be with the Bills even if McDermott exercised his 5th year rookie option.

One of our 3rd rounders... the 1st one in the 3rd round, was acquired by trading away a QB that there was absolutely no long term plan on and filled in his slot with a QB who is at least capable of competing for the starting QB job at less than 1/3rd the cost of the guy we just traded away.

I say we take those 4 picks and trade them all to the Giants for the #2 pick to grab Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield (please GOD not Allen!!!) and Beane still has all of Buffalo's original picks with a pick in all the remaining rounds other than the 7th.

We can and should still get a couple other good players in the 2nd and 3rd round even in doing that.

According to the draft chart:

#12 = 1200 points 

#22 = 780 points 

#53 = 370 points 

#65 = 265 points 

Grand total = 2615 points 

#2 pick = 2600 points

So we're giving away picks Beane has been shrewdly acquiring, not picks we were already going to naturally possess.

So the Bills maybe already offered next year's 1st and both our 1sts this year? A pick in the ensuing year is supposedly valued 1 round lower than the same pick this year. So, our 1st next year is actually valued as a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.

Let's say our 2nd next year will be roughly the same as our 2nd this year... maybe make it a little more valuable at 400 points.

Suddenly those "3 1st round picks!!!" are 2380 points to the Giants 2600 points and we need to throw in at least a 3rd rounder this year if not a 2nd.

Who knows what really happens, but it's weird the way a lot of Bills fans are saying "the price is too steep to trade up!!!" Seems a bit disingenuous. When was the last time we had a Franchise QB? When we're we last a viable contender?

I'm so sick of that draft chart.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

1) Eli is 37 and they had him behind a lousy line. He had no viable running game.

2) 2 quarterbacks have won superbowls at his age :)

3) Soon they will lose Eli to age or contract issues or both.

4) No way to know when you will have an opportunity to get another Superbowl caliber QB.

The Giants were expected to be  playoff team last year. This years draft is set up perfectly for them to repair the major problems and make a run for it.

I understand that approach, but personally I think it would be foolish.   The Giants were not a team that was one player away from the Lombardi in 2017.   They were a mess.    They 21st in yardage offense, 31st in points offense, 31st in yardage defense and 27th in points defense.   They have a temperamental and unpredictable wideout, no running back and an old QB whose play has declined seriously for two years.  

If trading back for more picks and making a run at the Super Bowl in 2018 is the right strategy for the Giants, then McBeane should be fired right now.   If that's the right strategy for the Giants, then why isn't it the right strategy.   Tyrod Taylor was a much better QB than Manning over the past two years, the Bills defense was way better than the Giants, and the Bills have a much better running back.   

It makes no sense for a team that was totally ineffective on both sides of the ball in 2017 to believe they should ignore the future of the most important position on the team because they think a bunch of rookies are going to win the Super Bowl for them.  

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Stay at 12 and draft Edmunds then Rudolph at 22.

OR

Jackson at 12 and Vander Esch at 22.

We aren’t moving to 2 because the Giants are taking a QB. The media is fake news. They know about as much as Dunkirk Dufus and just throw crap at the wall hoping some of it sticks.

Let me ask you this, how many media members mocked Trubisky to Chicago last year? ZERO!

I’ll tell you another thing as well. Not only are the Giants taking a QB, but the Broncos will as well. That’s my bold prediction. 4 QB’s go inside the top 5.

I would not be shocked honestly. Giants are playing this rather well btw.

They get to sit their future Qb for a year or so.. Then what are they doing with Ereck Flowers then? Letting him go? not building the O line finally ?

• Like (+1) 1

I understand that approach, but personally I think it would be foolish.   The Giants were not a team that was one player away from the Lombardi in 2017.   They were a mess.    They 21st in yardage offense, 31st in points offense, 31st in yardage defense and 27th in points defense.   They have a temperamental and unpredictable wideout, no running back and an old QB whose play has declined seriously for two years.  

If trading back for more picks and making a run at the Super Bowl in 2018 is the right strategy for the Giants, then McBeane should be fired right now.   If that's the right strategy for the Giants, then why isn't it the right strategy.   Tyrod Taylor was a much better QB than Manning over the past two years, the Bills defense was way better than the Giants, and the Bills have a much better running back.   

It makes no sense for a team that was totally ineffective on both sides of the ball in 2017 to believe they should ignore the future of the most important position on the team because they think a bunch of rookies are going to win the Super Bowl for them.  

Your last sentence makes certain posters here sleep better at night if they want to believe that Eli has some good years left and a handful of rookies are going to overcome the many deficiencies the Giants have.

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

this has been my thinking. I have no Idea what Gettleman thinks though.

Logic say Giants get the QB of the future Thursday. (oops not that Logic )

this logic

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's fine.   I'm not trying to predict what the Giants are going to do.    If the Giants aren't taking a QB at 2, then they are NOT trading out of 2, because there will a great player waiting for the Giants at #2.   I think the only way the Giants trade out, at least to a place beyond 4, is if they don't want a QB AND at #1 the Browns take whomever the Giants DO want.   That's the only scenario where the Giants won't want to stay at #2.  

I DO think the Giants are taking a QB at 2, because I think it's the right way to handle their QB situation.   But that's just my take on it, and I'm completely comfortable with the fact that the Giants may be taking a different view of it.   

My whole point in posting was not to predict what the Giants want.  My point was that I don't think the Bills can get to 2 because it's quite unlikely that the Giants are willing to leave 2, except maybe to swap with the Jets.  

Well that makes sense.  I can totally see Gettleman staying at 2.  I’m just curious as to why you think the Giants will take a QB, when every reporter in the know says they are not interested.  

The only scenario that I can see happening is if that 3 way trade comes to fruition where the Giants drop to #4, pick up an extra pick and still get Barkley.