Peter Schrager: somehow, some way, Sam Darnold is a Buffalo Bill

4 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Even when one costs way more than the other? As you said there are no sure things. An extra 1st and 2nd to get Darnold over Rosen or Mayfield is nuts

If I'm the Bills I don't assume any one of those 3 makes it past Denver. So I'm trading up to at least 4 and taking the best one. I've grown more wary of Mayfield and Rosen over the past couple weeks. Mayfield comes from a spread system and Rosen is a statue in the pocket with an injury history. So I personally would pay the extra cost for Darnold.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Has anyone listened to his Podcast “Season of Sam”? He sounds exactly like McDermott. McD probably has to hold back on how much he would trade for him.

That's how I see it as well.  Darnold is a perfect fit for the process

Early on in the process, I didn't know what to think about Darnold. Rosen is more polished as a passer, and so I gravitated toward him. The more you watch Darnold, though, the more you get it. He reminds me of Roethlisberger. Great pocket presence, ability to make steps here and there to avoid the rush. Definitely got moxie. I think he'll pan out.

Right now I have 4 tiers:

Darnold/Rosen

Mayfield

Allen/Jackson (way down yonder on the Chattahoochee)

Everyone else

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

Relax, Darnold has a high football IQ.  And he’s coming from a school that reliably produces great NFL QBs.  Oh, wait...

Im a big Rosen fan but have been warming up to Darnold. Just curious what schools do reliably produce great nfl qb's? Personally I cant think of any

Just now, Wsam4031 said:

Im a big Rosen fan but have been warming up to Darnold. Just curious what schools do reliably produce great nfl qb's? Personally I cant think of any

Not great NFL QBs per se, but highest rates appear to be Michigan State & NC State.

MSU had Stanton, Cousins, and Hoyer all start in the same week a few times.

NC State had Rivers, Glennon, and (kind of) Russ Wilson.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Is that true???

Hey... know what other QB Bills fans are pretty fond of who was recruited by Joe Paterno as an LB...? 

Sounds like Darnold would fit right in in Buffalo :flirt:

Yes it’s true. He has a LB build too And it does remind me of 12. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not great NFL QBs per se, but highest rates appear to be Michigan State & NC State.

MSU had Stanton, Cousins, and Hoyer all start in the same week a few times.

NC State had Rivers, Glennon, and (kind of) Russ Wilson.

my point is when you look at the nfl over the past 20 years there is not a school that consistently pops out qbs. To be negative on a guy because of past players from a certain school is just a bad way to look at things. No school is putting out great qbs consistently that's why its such a crap shoot.

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

my point is when you look at the nfl over the past 20 years there is not a school that consistently pops out qbs. To be negative on a guy because of past players from a certain school is just a bad way to look at things. No school is putting out great qbs consistently that's why its such a crap shoot.

I don't think it's the best way to look at things at all. But on one sunday last year 6 of the 32 teams starters went to 2 colleges. That's pretty good I think.

10 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

Well, there are a few, but my point is USC is infamous for producing overhyped busts who stink as soon as they are removed from the Trojan bubble.  It’s happened often enough that I doubt it’s a coincidence.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Well, there are a few, but my point is USC is infamous for producing overhyped busts who stink as soon as they are removed from the Trojan bubble.  It’s happened often enough that I doubt it’s a coincidence.

Only the two that played for Cheatey Petey and came from Mater Dei

Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree. We will sohow end up with Darnold and next year we will have roughly $100million in salary cap to use in Free Agency with a rookie QB contract. The AFC East will be very different in the next 5-8 years. Cmon McBean figure it out and make it happen please for all Bills Mafia!!!!!

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I think you just look at who busted and where they were and thall say a lot about why they busted. That's not just usc qbs its all early qbs. Like I said im onboard for rosen first but would not be upset with Darnold at all. Im not at all skeptical or worried about him because leinhart and sanchez were bums. FOr every Jim Kelley there is a Ken Dorsey or gino toretta

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Lol what? The Browns are a mess. These 2 players are TOTAL OPPOSITES. How can you be deciding between 2 completely different players?

Josh Allen:

Tall, big hands, poor college stats

Baker Mayfield:

Short, small hands, amazing college stats

What do they value? How can they be zeroing in on polar opposites? If they value big strong players then that imediately disqualified Mayfield. If they value completion percentage then Allen is off the board. This is bizarre even for Cleveland

Edited by kdiggz
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If I'm the Bills I don't assume any one of those 3 makes it past Denver. So I'm trading up to at least 4 and taking the best one. I've grown more wary of Mayfield and Rosen over the past couple weeks. Mayfield comes from a spread system and Rosen is a statue in the pocket with an injury history. So I personally would pay the extra cost for Darnold.

But then you need to think about how people are saying Darnold is a turnover machine