What (non QB) position would you pick if guaranteed the GOAT?

Scenario: You can draft the greatest (non QB) player at his position of all-time. Which position do you pick, and why?

For me, this is a toss up between DE and LB. I think most offensive positions are too dependent on the work of others, while a Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor type player is going to cause pain and misery regardless of what the other guys on defense do. One of my favorite players of all time was Barry Sanders, yet as great as he was once the playoffs came teams could shut him down.

When it all comes down to it, I think I would take the greatest LB of all time. It's a lot harder to neutralize him, and if he's the GOAT I can move him all around the defense... Outside, inside, on the line... My DE can be triple blocked or accounted for, although the greats still get theirs. It's a tough call but I go linebacker.

Thoughts?

Edited by TheFunPolice

I think our biggest need after QB would be LB, but if was truly the GOAT at a position, I would say WR. If we had the greatest WR of all time, then any of our QB’s would look good by comparison.

(just playing along by the way, I don’t think we need a WR with our first pick, nor do I think the GOAT is in this draft class)

Pass rush. Most important Non-QB player on the team. A disruptive pass rush will force offenses to change how the operate. Ball has to come out quicker, extra bodies stay back to help with blocking, run game suffers, just all around it's the most critical part of it. 

This is the "anyone in their prime question" and I will always answer that with either JJ Watt, or Lawrence Taylor (I didn't watch Taylor so I am biased towards Watt.)

I would go with the QB of the defense, MLB. As the GOAT, he should have knowledge of every single position, and basically be a terror all over the field for opposing offenses. Similar to how a great QB elevates an entire offense, a great MLB should be able to do the same on the defensive side.

3 minutes ago, seregil42 said:

I may be in the minority on this, but I'll say wide receiver.  Merely because the guy he would have to be better than would be Jerry Rice.

Being a minority, I suggest you stay out of PPP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Scenario: You can draft the greatest (non QB) player at his position of all-time. Which position do you pick, and why?

For me, this is a toss up between DE and LB. I think most offensive positions are too dependent on the work of others, while a Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor type player is going to cause pain and misery regardless of what the other guys on defense do. One of my favorite players of all time was Barry Sanders, yet as great as he was once the playoffs came teams could shut him down.

When it all comes down to it, I think I would take the greatest LB of all time. It's a lot harder to neutralize him, and if he's the GOAT I can move him all around the defense... Outside, inside, on the line... My DE can be triple blocked or accounted for, although the greats still get theirs. It's a tough call but I go linebacker.

Thoughts?

Pass rusher

They can impact an entire game plan in a way that others can’t. 

Greatest of all time... I don't care what position. Just grab the goat.

Now if you want ot debate whom we would choose if we had multiple goats at multiple positions well then we start looking at Defense Ends / pass rushers / backfield disruptors

I'd go with CB.  I'll assume that the GOAT CB is a hybrid of a robo-tackler like Winfield, interception machine like Blount, and all around coverage blanket like Revis....with the longevity of a Darrell Green.

Edited by dpberr