RIP R Lee Ermey

Beast

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

RIP

Great character actor, who will always be remembered for his performance in "Full Metal Jacket", but I will also remember him in "Se7en" and "Toy Story".

And for being badly miscast as Gregory House's father.  

50 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

RIP

Great character actor, who will always be remembered for his performance in "Full Metal Jacket", but I will also remember him in "Se7en" and "Toy Story".

I never knew he was in Toy Story.

His lines and delivery in Full Metal Jacket made that movie IMO.

Sad to hear of his passing.

Semper Fidelis

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I never knew he was in Toy Story.

His lines and delivery in Full Metal Jacket made that movie IMO.

Sad to hear of his passing.

He was a Marine Corps. Drill Instructor at Paris Island before he was an actor. Kubrick told him to do his thing for many of the scenes.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Needle said:

Semper Fidelis

He was a Marine Corps. Drill Instructor at Paris Island before he was an actor. Kubrick told him to do his thing for many of the scenes.

Yup. But the story I heard (on the interwebs so take it fwiw) is that at first he was a consultant on the set. He was helping out the guy who originally had the part and Kubrick gave him the role when he saw him in action. The other guy ended up being the "Get some" gunner in the helicopter.

Whether that's BS or not, he made that movie for me. To this day I'll give people an "Outstanding!" from time to time. As in "Outstanding Private Pyle!" at the shooting range.

33 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yup. But the story I heard (on the interwebs so take it fwiw) is that at first he was a consultant on the set. He was helping out the guy who originally had the part and Kubrick gave him the role when he saw him in action. The other guy ended up being the "Get some" gunner in the helicopter.

Whether that's BS or not, he made that movie for me. To this day I'll give people an "Outstanding!" from time to time. As in "Outstanding Private Pyle!" at the shooting range.

IMDB has two different stories.  One, above.  The other is that Ermey performed a demonstration where he yelled obscenities for 15 minutes without repeating himself while people threw fruit at him, at which point Kubrick cast him and gave the original actor a consolation prize of "door gunner."  Always preferred that story.

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

IMDB has two different stories.  One, above.  The other is that Ermey performed a demonstration where he yelled obscenities for 15 minutes without repeating himself while people threw fruit at him, at which point Kubrick cast him and gave the original actor a consolation prize of "door gunner."  Always preferred that story.

I spent the past half hour looking at youtube clips. Hadn't seen those scenes in awhile, just as good as I remembered.

However it happened, he added believability to that movie. I'm not s Marine so I can't make the leap and say realism even though that's my impression.

Again, sad to hear he's gone.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's pretty much the story he said when he was on Adam Carolla's podcast a year or two ago. 

He was also in a lot of Discovery Channel type military documentaries in recent years, focusing on various types of military hardware and what not.

I always liked him and thought he was fantastic in FMJ.  Ironically, I think he wasn't acting in that movie; he was just doing his own thing from the Corps!  I'm sure some of those lines were not written in any script; they were too good.

Edited by Fadingpain