Bring Manziel in as a Camp Arm

Irv

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Irv gave you the thumbs up on this. Does that mean he’s getting out? I’m confused.... because he’s still here? 

TSW should be so blessed.  He's enjoying the attention and that's what these inane threads are all about. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

TSW should be so blessed.  He's enjoying the attention and that's what these inane threads are all about. 

what, we need another Dez thread?

this time of year, what's the harm.... 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Don’t need the distraction. 

This times a billion.  I wish him all the best, and right now he needs to take care of himself off the field. Maybe some day he gets another shot, but now is NOT the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Why not?  If he sucks - turn him loose. Will make training camp more fun and maybe sell some more jerseys at SJF and promote the Bills.  Maybe put a little spring in the step of AJM.  Right now dude seems pretty desperate.  Use him for the marketing,  sell some more pre-season tickets, and dump him.  

The 1st thing that comes to mind is that past regimes have failed bc they may have tried a stunt like that.  Maybe its selling them short but the point is I'd guess these guys realize the flip side to your points is it would be a distraction and isnt in the same vein as the other moves they have made to try and mold and build a culture around here. Just my 7 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Question.. do sad and confused 'actions' cause negative rep points? Not that it means anything but it seems odd that if someone says something REALLY dumb and it gets 5 confused actions it looks like a positive in the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gobills1212 said:

Question.. do sad and confused 'actions' cause negative rep points? Not that it means anything but it seems odd that if someone says something REALLY dumb and it gets 5 confused actions it looks like a positive in the end. 

They don't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

i don't believe negative rep is enabled. could be wrong though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe they are neutral. No “neg repping” options at this time I believe. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Even less to gain.

Why not just bring back JaPorkus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Akili Smith as camp arms, while you're at it?

If this turns into three new threads I’m going to be angry with you!!!  :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Thanks for the response!

That's a shame. On a very basic level it maybe could prevent the trolls. 

Good to know though- I'd always wondered. 

Appreciate it!

On my college hoops board, you get a line of green dots (good), or red dots (bad). The few clowns who rack up enough red dots get put in time out, or shut down. They will also check IP addresses when new accounts are set up, further challenging the trolls. While that’s nice, this is a much better platform to work with since the change over. That would be a lot of work for something of this size. Thanks to all those who chip in to make this happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

On my college hoops board, you get a line of green dots (good), or red dots (bad). The few clowns who rack up enough red dots get put in time out, or shut down. They will also check IP addresses when new accounts are set up, further challenging the trolls. While that’s nice, this is a much better platform to work with since the change over. That would be a lot of work for something of this size. Thanks to all those who chip in to make this happen. 

I agree, it would be a lot of work to do manually. however, there are all kinds of mods out and about that might make IP scanning a function of the software. I have a duplicitious IP checker on a board i have, it is vB though.

• Like (+1) 1

For sure!!! 

Just to be clear, I wasn't asking in disgust or out of necessity- I was just curious. 

It goes both ways though and you are 100% right. 

Duval Pride and Gang Green for example has negative hits and jerks just hit the neg solely bc it's not a jags fan. I guess it doesnt matter - i just couldn't tell if it worked that way here or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

For sure!!! 

Just to be clear, I wasn't asking in disgust or out of necessity- I was just curious. 

It goes both ways though and you are 100% right. 

Duval Pride and Gang Green for example has negative hits and jerks just hit the neg solely bc it's not a jags fan. I guess it doesnt matter - i just couldn't tell if it worked that way here or not. 

Sure, just a matter of curiousity sometimes. It’s not like it really matters. On the hoops board you need enough goodwill to have the right to rep anyone, good or bad, so newbies can’t come in and be jerks. I don’t even know how to check where I stand, but I’m all green dots and life is good (especially after winning the Big East regular season and picking up a few nice recruits!). 

I have no idea how many different options are out there, but I do like the way this board works. My wife teases me about my “imaginary internet friends”, but it’s cool in a lot of ways. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Why not?  If he sucks - turn him loose. Will make training camp more fun and maybe sell some more jerseys at SJF and promote the Bills.  Maybe put a little spring in the step of AJM.  Right now dude seems pretty desperate.  Use him for the marketing,  sell some more pre-season tickets, and dump him.  

You're getting a lot of flack for this, but you had to expect that when you posted the thread.  And its not unwarranted, I mean there is a lot to hate about Manziel, he makes it very easy.  I thought he was going to be a bust coming out of college, so none of this was a surprise to me.  

That all being said, there is literally no risk to bringing him in.  It cost nothing, and if something is there you just hit the lotto.  If not, you cut him.  At this point, we have nothing on this roster who can say they are legit QB in the NFL.  I like AJ's potential, but he hasn't proven much either. Peterman has a long way to go to prove he can even be a backup in this league...just like Johnny.  So I would be fine if they brought him in, I mean its not like they are doing so as a serious solution to our QB opening right now.  He has apparently looked good throwing at pro days and stuff, so not really much to lose here as we still need more bodies.  

Odds are, he wont make the team anyway like any other camp body because we are probably drafting a rookie and then AJ will be the other QB.  But, who knows, AJ hasn't proven anything either, Manziel could surprise and push him for the 2nd QB spot along side the rookie.  

To be clear:  I do NOT think we will ever bring him in.  I am NOT advocating to do so.  And I do not think he will ever be a good NFL QB.  But the reality is we are gonna bring other QB's to camp, so if they want to see what he can do, then fine, maybe he will surprise and challenge for a roster spot.  Not a big deal IMO.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Johnny Manziel's arm can come to camp but the rest of him has to stay in Texas!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Even less to gain.

Why not just bring back JaPorkus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Akili Smith as camp arms, while you're at it?

Well one is too fat, the other is a jail bird and the other is like 40 or 50 :nana:

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You're getting a lot of flack for this, but you had to expect that when you posted the thread.  And its not unwarranted, I mean there is a lot to hate about Manziel, he makes it very easy.  I thought he was going to be a bust coming out of college, so none of this was a surprise to me.  

That all being said, there is literally no risk to bringing him in.  It cost nothing, and if something is there you just hit the lotto.  If not, you cut him.  At this point, we have nothing on this roster who can say they are legit QB in the NFL.  I like AJ's potential, but he hasn't proven much either. Peterman has a long way to go to prove he can even be a backup in this league...just like Johnny.  So I would be fine if they brought him in, I mean its not like they are doing so as a serious solution to our QB opening right now.  He has apparently looked good throwing at pro days and stuff, so not really much to lose here as we still need more bodies.  

Odds are, he wont make the team anyway like any other camp body because we are probably drafting a rookie and then AJ will be the other QB.  But, who knows, AJ hasn't proven anything either, Manziel could surprise and push him for the 2nd QB spot along side the rookie.  

To be clear:  I do NOT think we will ever bring him in.  I am NOT advocating to do so.  And I do not think he will ever be a good NFL QB.  But the reality is we are gonna bring other QB's to camp, so if they want to see what he can do, then fine, maybe he will surprise and challenge for a roster spot.  Not a big deal IMO.

It's all good.  Doesn't bother me.  Got thicker skin than  hog.  Easier to respond hatefully than post an original thread.  Rather be the warrior in the ring than the cynic in the stands.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

This times a billion.  I wish him all the best, and right now he needs to take care of himself off the field. Maybe some day he gets another shot, but now is NOT the time. 

Agreed. Manziel + XFL is the best case scenario for him. He would be a great name for them to get and he would easily become one of their top QBs by default (by not having actual NFL caliber competition). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, benderbender said:

Agreed. Manziel + XFL is the best case scenario for him. He would be a great name for them to get and he would easily become one of their top QBs by default (by not having actual NFL caliber competition). 

He's likely headed to the CFL with the XFL not ready to begin operations. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Irv said:

It's all good.  Doesn't bother me.  Got thicker skin than  hog.  Easier to respond hatefully than post an original thread.  Rather be the warrior in the ring than the cynic in the stands.  

Yeah, its more about how much people dislike Manziel than anything you said.  And thats a valid stance as he has made himself pretty unlikable.  Put kudos on the thread and how you handled yourself in it :beer:

I would be fine with it like I said, even though I didn't like him even coming out of college.  I mean at this point, he cost literally zero, so what the hell, throw him out there and let him either fall flat on his face and cut him, or surprise us and challenge for a roster spot.

I still dont think Beane would ever do it, but fine with it if they do.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, its more about how much people dislike Manziel than anything you said.  And thats a valid stance as he has made himself pretty unlikable.  Put kudos on the thread and how you handled yourself in it :beer:

I would be fine with it like I said, even though I didn't like him even coming out of college.  I mean at this point, he cost literally zero, so what the hell, throw him out there and let him either fall flat on his face and cut him, or surprise us and challenge for a roster spot.

I still dont think Beane would ever do it, but fine with it if they do.

I agree.  Why not?  

5 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

No. Johnny can’t be a camp arm because camp arms are just that — camp arms. Johnny, if signed, needs to be part of some plan because a “camp arm” isn’t worth the circus that comes with Johnny. 

I thought you were a good poster on BBMB. What happened? Are you ok?    

Just now, Irv said:

I thought you were a good poster on BBMB. What happened? Are you ok?    

1. I’m the best

2. I’m not opposed to giving Johnny a go. What I’m saying is not as a “camp arm.” Camp arm guys are guys that are just there to chuck balls when he top 3 guys are tired. Johnny has a circus that follows him. In order for the circus to be worth it he needs to be the #2 plan, not a camp arm. I’m agreeing while disagreeing. 

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that there have been so many heated responses to such an innocuous post proves my point.  Bring the dude in.  He's ready to sign a CFL contract for less than most of us make.  Why not? 

Edited by Irv

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

The fact that there have been so many heated responses to such an innocuous post proves my point.  Bring the dude in.  He's ready to sign a CFL contract for less than most of make.  Why not? 

I say let him prove in the CFL that he’s changed. 

Im not opposed to bringing in talent. He’s talented. He’s also a ****head. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

1. I’m the best

2. I’m not opposed to giving Johnny a go. What I’m saying is not as a “camp arm.” Camp arm guys are guys that are just there to chuck balls when he top 3 guys are tired. Johnny has a circus that follows him. In order for the circus to be worth it he needs to be the #2 plan, not a camp arm. I’m agreeing while disagreeing. 

You are the best.   I like the circus. Bring it on!!!