Favorite thing about Buffalo

Another Fan

The people, restaurants, or good neighbors?  Or the Bills and tailgating?

I overheard someone today say they visited the city and found it depressing, would never live there, and any other negative stereotype it has.  It's what made me raise the question.  

To each their own but I found this person to be a d-bag.  

• Like (+1) 1

First would be the people. (Except some of you, who shall for now remain nameless!). Second would be the food. Third would be the summers. I loved fall, and football season too. 

I like winter in limited doses. I want to know when my flight home is scheduled. 

its a combination for me.  its a nice size city but little congestion and nice elbow room.  we have pro sports teams and draw decent concerts and shows.  also striking distance to numerous cities... and even more places are within a moderate drive.

we have great waterways... and i also like the climate for the most part.  i will say winter gets a little long... but i like all 4 seasons.  

in a vacuum, with no friends, job, 

or family, i may choose pacific northwest, colorado, or maybe even wyoming... but wny would be up there 

I love it here but with very little family left and me pitching fits about my arthritis issues,odds are we will hit up a for sale sign sooner than first thought.My bride is still having a tough time with our nug's relocation to North Carolina,the nest is empty and it's taking a toll on her..factor in the fact that her father is very ill..The bottom line is heading towards us...I know sometime soon I will sit down with my mother in law and say "We're selling the houses,start packing up your s h I t  because you're coming with us to Louisiana".Hopefully our nug will get a transfer to Pasgagula,MS . All of these projections and desires lead me to believe...I will still be in Cheektowaga a year from now..and the year after that..and the year after that......Why??? Because my bride and mother in law are two stubborn pollacks.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I love it all.  Have been gone since 1970.  Would return except for one thing....NY Taxes!

We had another property assessment done in our area..between the school and property,we took on a $489 hit. The outdated union contracts are a killer...when sanitation workers are pulling in 52 k for part time work...you know the politicians are accepting "things" from the union reps.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I love it all.  Have been gone since 1970.  Would return except for one thing....NY Taxes!

Bunk.

Taxes are just as "bad" here... If not more.  Yet, there are 10 million people between Wisconsin and Northwest Indiana. How come the economy and jobs didn't crap out like Buffalo?  

Though cost of living is low here, housing dirt cheap where I am at. But you pay in taxes depending on where you go here.  It's an aging area and people sprawling out to places like Northwest Indiana... Big land and cheap taxes. On a 200k house built brand new 25 years ago ($150k then) I pay $6 grand... Yet my house will be paid off in just a few short years.  What's driving the cost down and the millions to stay in this area... People staying in their house for 30 years, like our parents did?

I don't buy the tax cop out... People want everything for nothing.  They want infrastructure and location convenience.  Yet, the systems are aging and people sprawling.  You either pay it in a huge mortgage that is not worth it or pay just a little more chump change in taxes.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bunk.

I don't buy the tax cop out... 

I respectfully disagree. This link ranks property tax by state. I live in VA which has less than half the rate of NY. When people are retired and on a fixed income that savings can be significant. I am not retired yet but certainly appreciate the tax savings. And I do not feel I lack for services. 

https://taxfoundation.org/how-high-are-property-taxes-your-state/

Interesting question.  I love it because it's where I'm from.  The food/restaurants are ok but I live in an area now that is hard to beat.  The people are friendly and welcoming, but outside of the huge urban centers (NY, LA, etc.) isn't that generally true everywhere?

Probably comes down to sports.  Bills, Sabres, and their fans.

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

The people, restaurants, or good neighbors?  Or the Bills and tailgating?

I overheard someone today say they visited the city and found it depressing, would never live there, and any other negative stereotype it has.  It's what made me raise the question.  

To each their own but I found this person to be a d-bag.  

We came up for the Broncos game last year. Small sample, but for me it was the people. Everyone we came across was extremely friendly and upbeat.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

First would be the people. (Except some of you, who shall for now remain nameless!). Second would be the food. Third would be the summers. I loved fall, and football season too. 

I like winter in limited doses. I want to know when my flight home is scheduled. 

the summers for me might be my favorite thing.  i lived downtown on north st when i was in grad school.  i could walk to coles, garbriel's gate, colter bay, etc.  the entire elmwood area is a blast that time of year.  as much as i disliked school at the time, i have very fond memories of buffalo summers.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bunk.

Taxes are just as "bad" here... If not more.  Yet, there are 10 million people between Wisconsin and Northwest Indiana. How come the economy and jobs didn't crap out like Buffalo?  

Though cost of living is low here, housing dirt cheap where I am at. But you pay in taxes depending on where you go here.  It's an aging area and people sprawling out to places like Northwest Indiana... Big land and cheap taxes. On a 200k house built brand new 25 years ago ($150k then) I pay $6 grand... Yet my house will be paid off in just a few short years.  What's driving the cost down and the millions to stay in this area... People staying in their house for 30 years, like our parents did?

I don't buy the tax cop out... People want everything for nothing.  They want infrastructure and location convenience.  Yet, the systems are aging and people sprawling.  You either pay it in a huge mortgage that is not worth it or pay just a little more chump change in taxes.

IF taxes are bad, you have the option of moving!  Buffalo lost out on jobs because the aged factories were too old and inefficient to update.  Now they are gone, and the sites are mostly EPA super fund sites.  Now we have the automation component in manufacturing, so whatever is built does not have a need for the large unskilled work forces.  The opening of the St Lawrence Seaway in the late 50's sealed Buffalo's fate as far as jobs were concerned.

I have lived in: New York, Virginia, Washington State, Texas and Illinois.  Two of those states, Texas & Washington have no State Income Tax.  Despite that, they have many other tax options that roughly replace whatever the imagined savings would be for no income tax.

I assure you that I want nothing for free!  BUT the high tax states are the most inefficient when it comes to managing tax resources.   Today's BUF News has a front page headline about Erie County Welfare fraud.  Gee, you think??

Right now, the state of Rhode Island is advertising a $10,000 incentive to get families to move there because they fear they will lose one of their two seats in the US House of Representatives.  When I left NY in 1970, NYS had 45 seats in Congress.  Now it's in the mid 20's, but NYS still can't figure it out!.

• Like (+1) 1

I was in Buffalo a couple weeks ago for the first time in nearly 15 years.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much the city has transformed itself, sure the weather blows balls, but the neighborhoods seemed alive, yeah there are rough spots but that is the case everywhere.  There were people out and about at restaurants, bars, stores.  It was really good to see.  The entire rust belt gets a bad rap but they are doing something special in making these areas come back to life.  Now get the taxes under control and Buffalo can return to it's one time glory years.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bunk.

The argument there though is at least if you are paying for overpriced property you are building equity & will get that back when you go to sell.  Taxes are a sunken cost.  I bought my house in 2001, paid $210M for it.  Houses in my neighborhood are selling for around $250M maybe a bit more for the bigger houses.  My point is if I would of bought a house in California for say $350M or so back in 2001, I am sure that house would be worth double that in their market today.   I pay 7,600 in taxes. 

I generally like living here but the early springs get to me.  I love the summer/fall/late spring but perfect example today.  April 3rd & it is 38 degrees outside.  My son starts his baseball season next week for school.  They are up in Clarence so they have a turf field so they should be able to get it in, but highs next week are only going to be in the upper 40s.  More like late season football weather if you ask me. 

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bunk.

i don't know if i'm willing to call it a little more chump change.  my property taxes are gross, and i just received a letter in the mail that they some how determine that my house went up about 20 grand in value.  

22 minutes ago, Gordio said:

The argument there though is at least if you are paying for overpriced property you are building equity & will get that back when you go to sell.  Taxes are a sunken cost.  I bought my house in 2001, paid $210M for it.  Houses in my neighborhood are selling for around $250M maybe a bit more for the bigger houses.  My point is if I would of bought a house in California for say $350M or so back in 2001, I am sure that house would be worth double that in their market today.   I pay 7,600 in taxes. 

I generally like living here but the early springs get to me.  I love the summer/fall/late spring but perfect example today.  April 3rd & it is 38 degrees outside.  My son starts his baseball season next week for school.  They are up in Clarence so they have a turf field so they should be able to get it in, but highs next week are only going to be in the upper 40s.  More like late season football weather if you ask me. 

exactly.  we bought our house almost 3 years ago now, and i put an additional principal payment into every mortgage payment i send it.  i want this sucker paid of quickly, but even when that happens, i'll still have a large monthly tax bill to pay off.