Favorite thing about Buffalo

Another Fan

35 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I went to the swannie last friday after going to Gene McCarthy's(no relation).  My Dad is a S. Buffalo native and he told me to go there.  I was kind of scared when i pulled into the place.  Walked in was pleasantly surprised.  Also gained more respect for my Dad who goes there everytime he goes back home

it's among the most welcoming spots in town, no matter who's working, but especially if Joe's working, Monday-Thursday's 9ish to close.

jw

cool thing about the Swannie is it has a different clientele depending on what day and what time of day.

blue-collar types at lunch. business folk on the way home 5ish.

it's a whole cast of characters.

Edited by john wawrow

I had a very loud and very foul mouthed female bartender and she couldn't have been nicer!  People in there you could tell were neighborhood folks and no one batted an eye when i, the stranger walked in to their world

6 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

it's among the most welcoming spots in town, no matter who's working, but especially if Joe's working, Monday-Thursday's 9ish to close.

jw

cool thing about the Swannie is it has a different clientele depending on what day and what time of day.

blue-collar types at lunch. business folk on the way home 5ish.

it's a whole cast of characters.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That is not exactly true.  Our "lovely" politicians in Albany and Washington have been siphoning off the major commodity of WNY to help businesses in other areas of the state and country. (I looked for newer articles, but couldn't find them to explain the splits. This comes close but is not quite what I was searching for.)  The claim is that cheap electricity is responsible for generating nearly $33 billion in capital investments to the state’s economy. No word on how little is available for WNY itself. (Those numbers used to be easily available...but I couldn't find them.)

There is a "clean energy standard" in NYS that is aiming for 50% of the state's electricity comes from renewable energy sources by 2030. That would be wind and water. 

I do recall when my electric bill said "cheapest electricity in the united states" then it went to "cheapest in New York State" and then a good 20-25 years ago that went away.  It really frosts my cookies that the cheap power isn't used to benefit WNY directly first.

The extra 25 dollars being charged to us by the Erie County Water Authority is another joke.That was suppose to be a one time charge..it's been over three years now.In addition,they are NOT owned by the county.p.s.- Here in cheektowaga,the sanitation collectors make 52 k a year,working 6 hour days...and they have 100% health and dental care coverage.It's getting rough here and people are getting fed up.

11 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I had a very loud and very foul mouthed female bartender and she couldn't have been nicer!  People in there you could tell were neighborhood folks and no one batted an eye when i, the stranger walked in to their world

Was she hot?

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bunk.

Taxes are just as "bad" here... If not more.  Yet, there are 10 million people between Wisconsin and Northwest Indiana. How come the economy and jobs didn't crap out like Buffalo?  

Though cost of living is low here, housing dirt cheap where I am at. But you pay in taxes depending on where you go here.  It's an aging area and people sprawling out to places like Northwest Indiana... Big land and cheap taxes. On a 200k house built brand new 25 years ago ($150k then) I pay $6 grand... Yet my house will be paid off in just a few short years.  What's driving the cost down and the millions to stay in this area... People staying in their house for 30 years, like our parents did?

I don't buy the tax cop out... People want everything for nothing.  They want infrastructure and location convenience.  Yet, the systems are aging and people sprawling.  You either pay it in a huge mortgage that is not worth it or pay just a little more chump change in taxes.

Illinois is hemorrhaging population and the state isn't going to be able to continue down the path they're on now.  It will take a miracle for the state to make it through the next 10-15 years without declaring bankruptcy.  The were holding onto bills for six months or more just last year because of how bankrupt the state really is.

Moody's says the state is $250,000,000,000.00 in debt (currently about $20k per resident) and it's rising at a rate that far outpaces inflation.  As baby boomer teachers, cops, firefighters, and administrators continue retiring, that bill for those very expensive pensions is going to come due with not nearly enough revenue coming in to cover the increasing costs.  Given the number of companies that are fleeing the state and they pace it's happening, it's just a matter of time before there is a serious calamity.

So while your macro situation isn't terrible, there are far more people who are seriously affected by the high taxation and regulatory environment of the state.  You're paying double the national average for property tax.  That's all but a guarantee that retirees are going to head for cheaper states where their money will go further.

34 minutes ago, teef said:

i'll appeal this year because there's zero reason this state takes from us what it does.  in monroe county, we have one of the highest tax rats in the country.  to give you an idea, my monthly tax payment is a bit more than my principal and interest combined.  that's why i pay more on principal.  we put a lot down on the house too.  it's mostly due to the schools, but there's no way this poorly run state can justify it to me.

when I lived in Irondequoit in the 90's  I paid town school taxes and county taxes that exceeded $5K a year.  Not to mention State taxes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

when I lived in Irondequoit in the 90's  I paid town school taxes and county taxes that exceeded $5K a year.  Not to mention State taxes.

We looked at moving back a few years ago.  $300k house in a nice neighborhood.  Over $12k annually in taxes.  Nope.

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Illinois is hemorrhaging population and the state isn't going to be able to continue down the path they're on now.  It will take a miracle for the state to make it through the next 10-15 years without declaring bankruptcy.  The were holding onto bills for six months or more just last year because of how bankrupt the state really is.

Moody's says the state is $250,000,000,000.00 in debt and it's rising at a rate that far outpaces inflation.  As baby boomer teachers, cops, firefighters, and administrators continue retiring, that bill for those very expensive pensions is going to come due with not nearly enough revenue coming in to cover the increasing costs.  Given the number of companies that are fleeing the state and they pace it's happening, it's just a matter of time before there is a serious calamity.

So while your macro situation isn't terrible, there are far more people who are seriously affected by the high taxation and regulatory environment of the state.  You're paying double the national average for property tax.  That's all but a guarantee that retirees are going to head for cheaper states where their money will go further.

My BIL saw it coming in Illinois years ago. He had stage 4 lung cancer (he passed away over 5 years ago) and knew his wife could not afford the taxes on their house once he stopped working and passed away (absolutely insane taxes for the assessment!) They moved to Indiana and the taxes were super cheap! No services of course, but nevertheless super cheap taxes.

12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Moody's says the state is $250,000,000,000.00 in debt (currently about $20k per resident) and it's rising at a rate that far outpaces inflation.  As baby boomer teachers, cops, firefighters, and administrators continue retiring, that bill for those very expensive pensions is going to come due with not nearly enough revenue coming in to cover the increasing costs.  Given the number of companies that are fleeing the state and they pace it's happening, it's just a matter of time before there is a serious calamity.

Not that I don't see where you are coming from.  In my area, they are already flocking across the border to Indiana... But driving back to work in Illinois.

Bring it.  Game on... 15 years can't come soon enough.

Even at work, Indiana shipping and ports stand to lose 1.6 billion a year without Illinois waterborne infrastructure.

There's a lot of big ag in Illinois, big petrol-chem,  where's it going to go to get to markets of the world?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

300k?  You can get acres and an estate for that here and still be close to big market.  

Way over-priced for WNY.

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't remember exactly.  Spencerport, Fairport, Perinton area. 

Don't know how anyone does it.

I don't either... Price for that in sticks is outrageous.  I can see 150k, maybe 200...

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

I don't remember exactly.  Spencerport, Fairport, Perinton area. 

Don't know how anyone does it.

My sister had a home in Brockport (600 ish)...they left for Apex,NC 4 years ago because of the high taxes out there.How sad..really sad.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

300k?  You can get acres and an estate for that here and still be close to big market.  

Way over-priced for WNY.

$300k is going to buy a whole lot more in Illinois in 10 years or so.  :D

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

My sister had a home in Brockport (600 ish)...they left for Apex,NC 4 years ago because of the high taxes out there.How sad..really sad.

Most of my family still lives within 30 miles of their birthplace.  The children are running for the hills once they graduate college or join the military.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Way over-priced for WNY.

I don't either... Price for that in sticks is outrageous.  I can see 150k, maybe 200...

You haven't seen the "sticks" around here lately. Depending on location, it can be $$. I want to stay below $600K in the wilds of Niagara County, and what we can get for that price is :thumbdown:.  (I've adjusted my budget, but still having difficulty finding what will "work".) Of course, I have a view and house expectations, but I'm not sure anyone who hasn't kept up with the local real estate markett in the last 4-6+ years is familiar with what is going on in the local real estate market.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You haven't seen the "sticks" around here lately. Depending on location, it can be $$. I want to stay below $600K in the wilds of Niagara County, and what we can get for that price is :thumbdown:.  (I've adjusted my budget, but still having difficulty finding what will "work".) Of course, I have a view and house expectations, but I'm not sure anyone who hasn't kept up with the local real estate markett in the last 4-6+ years is familiar with what is going on in the local real estate market.

Interesting.  Cali type market  seems to even be affecting WNY. :(

Everybody wants to get rich the easy way, flip houses.

Areas need local natural resources, etc... To bring in industry and human development, econmoy.  It offsets the cost to humans... Industry that is.  Yet, everybody keeps pushing green, enviro to the other side.  We can lay off the enviro throttle, things have been made better.

If you just wanna live in an area with none of that, it gets expensive.

Old days, one worked the land as a farm.

Enlightenment is non-attachment.  I am working the Ralph Wilson/Subaru model:

"Built cheap and meant to stay that way."

:D

Yet, Ralph ventured out from Detroit, landed in Buffalo and stayed.

Once you find where you are happy and land, stay put people.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois