Favorite thing about Buffalo

Another Fan

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

300k?  You can get acres and an estate for that here and still be close to big market.  

Way over-priced for WNY.

I don't either... Price for that in sticks is outrageous.  I can see 150k, maybe 200...

illinois...that's just not true anymore.  not that the housing is expensive, but 300 will get you nothing close to an estate on many acres.  just for the average suburbs of rochester, 300k might get you in the area of 2500 sq ft on .5-1 acres.  i think people wildly under estimate what you will pay for property here.

54 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

when I lived in Irondequoit in the 90's  I paid town school taxes and county taxes that exceeded $5K a year.  Not to mention State taxes.

the school taxes are brutal, and we don't even live in pittsford or brighton, (where the nations best schools are).  i think we pay around 14k a year.  good schools, but 14k?

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

We looked at moving back a few years ago.  $300k house in a nice neighborhood.  Over $12k annually in taxes.  Nope.

And I can assume wages are still mediocre to match that $1500 mortgage with taxes.  

26 minutes ago, teef said:

illinois...that's just not true anymore.  not that the housing is expensive, but 300 will get you nothing close to an estate on many acres.  just for the average suburbs of rochester, 300k might get you in the area of 2500 sq ft on .5-1 acres.  i think people wildly under estimate what you will pay for property here.

the school taxes are brutal, and we don't even live in pittsford or brighton, (where the nations best schools are).  i think we pay around 14k a year.  good schools, but 14k?

Brutal.   I assumed taxes went up over the past 20 years but wow. 

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am not spending my wad of cash on housing.

Glad prices tanked here or as Darin said, will.  Get in after the crash, not with the ramp up.

Yup.   I waited 5 years in Virginia for the prices to bottom out and for in about a year before values started to climb.   

20 minutes ago, teef said:

I move my humble abode to North Suburbs I may get triple?

Fair enough... I will live in the shed for 82k more & am sure You can knock them down.

https://www.movoto.com/home/0-cottage-grove-ave-crete-il-60417-461_09662056

Then build on the 44 acres.  Be your own general contractor.

Or if you like golf course living:

https://www.movoto.com/home/128-w-tam-o-shanter-dr-crete-il-60417-pid_zz8n8na2ch

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Best summers in the continental US

San Diego.

Crete IL property? LOL. Looks bland. 

Even though a move back to WNY would mean lower salaries, and we'd pay way more in taxes, we've always viewed it as a cheaper lifestyle. 

We'll likely never move back. 

4 minutes ago, thebug said:

Wow, you guys pay some serious taxes!  

Serious aging problem with no industry to back it up to underwrite things... Well at least for some areas.

I am in Will County (Joliet's county)... About a half a mile from Cook County.  All counties EXCEPT Cook tax 33.3% across board between industry/residential.  I move my house that 1/2 mile and I would pay LESS, about a 1/3 LESS.  For... All places living in freaking Cook.

There is no old school economic backbone in Erie County. 

Your gain in Toronto since the Seaway is Buffalo's loss.  Somebody plows the roads, delivers meals on wheels to the old folks.

2 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Blame the teachers

"Full time wages for a part time job"

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know, I know.  My property assessment went up too.  BUT I could have appealed to the township assessor last year.  Short fall with mortgage escrow.  $250 bucks month extra now or pay it all up at once.

The economy is doing well.  Our houses worth more, we know WHO to thank!  Should raise his Nielsen ratings...;):lol:

Maybe I will give them an interest free surplus... :D /devil 

The appeal has never worked for us..they pull up the largest homes in the area...it's the area,they claim.Also,with my escrow account,they demand a two month safety net...one other thing..remember to shop around for home owners insurance and balloon your package...we have everything under Farmers right now..and they don't play the shifty business like N.Y. Mutual did because of the Long Island hurricane (Sandy?).broad was trying to tell me I had a increase because of the increase in lumber prices....bull ****.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

San Diego.

Crete IL property? LOL. Looks bland. 

Even though a move back to WNY would mean lower salaries, and we'd pay way more in taxes, we've always viewed it as a cheaper lifestyle. 

We'll likely never move back. 

Can't have everything.  That's why they make a jet that flies outta ORD.:P

No wildfires too... :P

18 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

People, food, and yes...the weather.

Best summers in the continental US, imo.

As for the taxes, my girl and I are considering moving to WNY to LOWER our property taxes.

Too humid.

~Signed,

Jim in Anchorage

;)

4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Nope, but you should have something

Yes, all cities have airports to get out of dodge. This isn't Somalia. 

And there is the problem with Americans now.

Okay.  Maybe not.  The Donner Party moved from Illinois for greener pastures... what did it get them?  A 40 foot wall of snow and eating your best friend's liver all winter.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And there is the problem with Americans now.

Okay.  Maybe not.  The Donner Party moved from Illinois for greener pastures... what did it get them?  A 40 foot wall of snow and eating your best friend's liver all winter.

Interstate 80 has eliminated that concern. 

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Interstate 80 has eliminated that concern. 

LoL.

Forget your snow chains when the High Sierra is getting pounded with a few "Pineapple Expresses"... You'll wanna hunker down in a cheap Reno motel with your best friend's liver... :D

You ain't getting through to the promised land... Till your taxes clear the pass.

15 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

180 days of work...and complete benefits.

You couldn't pay me double the most lucrative teacher's contract today to deal with the current crop of parents. The kids? Maybe. The parents? Nope.

• Like (+1) 2