Football Outsiders Rates the 2018 QBs In the Draft

Shaw66

As some of you know, Football Outsiders takes a highly analytical, statistically driven approach to evaluating teams and individual players.   Like any rating system, there are assumptions built into their analytical tools that affect their results.  Thus, like any rating system, there's some bias built into the system.  Still, they're objective is to be as objective as possible.  

I happened to look at Football Outsiders today, and it turns out they have a system for evaluating college quarterbacks.   I have no idea how they do it, but I'm sure they explain it on their website.  If it's like their other systems, you'll need a Masters degree in statistics to understand it.   They have applied their system, called QBASE, to previous drafts.    The highest rated guys on their system are Rivers, Palmer, McNabb, Russell Wilson, Peyton, Mariota, Leftwich, Rodgers and Roethlisberger.   In other words, their system seems to work reasonably well.   Certainly there are some names they missed, and Leftwich is an outlier, but it seems like if a guy rates high on their system there's a pretty good chance that he's going to make it in the NFL.   Doesn't mean that some other guys who aren't highly rated won't make it; just means that you're looking good if you rate high. 

So they analyzed 2018, and one guy stands alone - everyone else is back in the pack somewhere, not close.   Baker Mayfield rates number 4 on their ALL-TIME list, of college quarterbacks behind McNabb and ahead of Russell Wilson.  

Their article about this is here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/qbase-2018 

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread - I didn't see it anywhere.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Their breakdown seems weird....just this alone raises tons of red flags -

Top QBASE Projections, 1997-2017

Player / QBASE:

Philip Rivers 1964

Carson Palmer 1916

Donovan McNabb 1799

Baker Mayfield 1480

Russell Wilson 1288

Peyton Manning 1279

Marcus Mariota 1277

Byron Leftwich 1216

Aaron Rodgers 1216

Ben Roethlisberger 1211

So based on these same metrics, they had Byron Leftwich ahead of Aaron Rodgers & Ben Roethlisberger? Or Carson Palmer above Peyton Manning? 

I think Mayfield will be good too, but the way they put value on QB's pre-draft projections seems off if these are the results. Darnold having a 52% Bust rating & 4% Elite rating compared to Luke Faulk's 54% & 7%? Wtf is going on there?

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As some of you know, Football Outsiders takes a highly analytical, statistically driven approach to evaluating teams and individual players.   Like any rating system, there are assumptions built into their analytical tools that affect their results.  Thus, like any rating system, there's some bias built into the system.  Still, they're objective is to be as objective as possible.  

I happened to look at Football Outsiders today, and it turns out they have a system for evaluating college quarterbacks.   I have no idea how they do it, but I'm sure they explain it on their website.  If it's like their other systems, you'll need a Masters degree in statistics to understand it.   They have applied their system, called QBASE, to previous drafts.    The highest rated guys on their system are Rivers, Palmer, McNabb, Russell Wilson, Peyton, Mariota, Leftwich, Rodgers and Roethlisberger.   In other words, their system seems to work reasonably well.   Certainly there are some names they missed, and Leftwich is an outlier, but it seems like if a guy rates high on their system there's a pretty good chance that he's going to make it in the NFL.   Doesn't mean that some other guys who aren't highly rated won't make it; just means that you're looking good if you rate high. 

So they analyzed 2018, and one guy stands alone - everyone else is back in the pack somewhere, not close.   Baker Mayfield rates number 4 on their ALL-TIME list, of college quarterbacks behind McNabb and ahead of Russell Wilson.  

Their article about this is here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/qbase-2018 

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread - I didn't see it anywhere.  

Color me deeply skeptical of any system that has Josh Rosen ranked lower than Lamar Jackson.  In general, I like Football Outsiders but this is strange to me.

I like Lamar Jackson.  I differ from some others in that I don't see him as a running QB, I see him as a QB who is right up there with some of the other prospects in passing ability and pocket presence AND can also run.  But he has a long way to go over Rosen in terms of refining his mechanics so he can put the ball on the money every time, and improving his ability to read a defense.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Player / QBASE:

Philip Rivers 1964

Carson Palmer 1916

Donovan McNabb 1799

Baker Mayfield 1480

Russell Wilson 1288

Peyton Manning 1279

Marcus Mariota 1277

Byron Leftwich 1216

Aaron Rodgers 1216

Ben Roethlisberger 1211

So based on these same metrics, they had Byron Leftwich ahead of Aaron Rodgers & Ben Roethlisberger? Or Carson Palmer above Peyton Manning? 

I think Mayfield will be good too, but the way they put value on QB's pre-draft projections seems off if these are the results. Darnold having a 52% Bust rating & 4% Elite rating compared to Luke Faulk's 54% & 7%? Wtf is going on there?

Read what they say about Darnold. Surprisingly, very few guys who have started only two years in college have made it in the NFL, and the ones that did make in the pros had much better production in college than Darnold.  Cam Newtons stats in college blow away Darnold. 

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Color me deeply skeptical of any system that has Josh Rosen ranked lower than Lamar Jackson.  In general, I like Football Outsiders but this is strange to me.

I like Lamar Jackson.  I differ from some others in that I don't see him as a running QB, I see him as a QB who is right up there with some of the other prospects in passing ability and pocket presence AND can also run.  But he has a long way to go over Rosen in terms of refining his mechanics so he can put the ball on the money every time, and improving his ability to read a defense.

They don't really have Jackson significantly higher than Rosen, and they have Rosen marginally more likely to be better than adequate. Their argument, and there's some logic to it, is that Jackson didn't have nearly the supporting cast of Rosen. That manifested itself in his highest drop rate. On that same note, that also accentuates the point that he didn't play the same level of competition, soooo...

Personally, I'd marginally prefer a trade up and Rosen to getting Jackson at 12 or 22, but I'd be excited with either on my team (or Mayfield). 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Read what they say about Darnold. Surprisingly, very few guys who have started only two years in college have made it in the NFL, and the ones that did make in the pros had much better production in college than Darnold.  Cam Newtons stats in college blow away Darnold. 

It makes sense that 2 years in college wouldn't be as successful as 3 or 4, but each individual is their own case. Whether "experts" say they're too small, don't have a big arm, didn't play in a pro-system, had a bad combine, didn't play against good competition/played at a small school, etc. there's always SOMETHING different that can be pointed to to assume they won't do well in the NFL.

Some people get drafted in the 1st round, then sit 3 years behind a first ballot HOF'er (Rodgers) and become great (who knows what would've happened with his career had he played day 1).

Some people are mediocre their first 2 years, prompting their team to draft their replacement year 3, only to light it up & become a first ballot HOF'er themselves (Brees).

Some get passed up repeatedly & don't get drafted until the 3rd or even 6th rounds because they're seen as projects, then prove the world wrong (Wilson & Brady).

Then on the flip side you have people that tore it up in college, won Heisman's, won National Championships, broke NCAA records left & right, and ended up bombing out in the NFL.

I think the most you can do is look at their in-game play, their decision making, their leadership, and their personality...and that's it. Are they smart? Do they party a lot & stir up controversy? Did they rise to the occasion in big games? How did they play against good teams? How's their work ethic & commitment? Do they have drug problems/possible suspensions? 

THOSE are the things that usually end up being the deciding factors in who ends up succeeding as an NFL QB. If multiple red flags pop up for those questions, history has shown us they usually fail. The rest of their success is based on what the coaches who drafted them do with them, and if they're developed well & put in a position to succeed.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

They don't really have Jackson significantly higher than Rosen, and they have Rosen marginally more likely to be better than adequate. Their argument, and there's some logic to it, is that Jackson didn't have nearly the supporting cast of Rosen. That manifested itself in his highest drop rate. On that same note, that also accentuates the point that he didn't play the same level of competition, soooo...

Personally, I'd marginally prefer a trade up and Rosen to getting Jackson at 12 or 22, but I'd be excited with either on my team (or Mayfield). 

Rosen didn't have the greatest supporting cast himself.  His WR dropped something like 31 passes to Jackson's 34. 

I'm not a college football scout, and I don't want to pretend to be one on the internet, but I spent a fair bit of time watching game film and scouting paste ups on the various QBs.  I can see making an argument for Mayfield being a top prospect in the draft - I personally think more highly of Rosen but there's a lot of potayto potahto there.  I like Jackson as a QB prospect and think the people who portray him as a running QB or a QB who doesn't throw from the pocket, didn't watch a lot of this year's film.   I think Jackson could become a very good QB.  But watching Rosen and Jackson both make progressions and throw during games, they're not on the same field let alone on the same set of hashmarks as QB at this point.  And any system that crunches the numbers and puts them close to each other in their current state of development (much less Jackson slightly ahead) is, sorry, a system to be skeptical about.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

Shaw, I’ve read so many threads on all of these QBs these last few weeks and one thing I’m sure of is that if it was actually my full time job to watch hours of film, talk to players and coaches and interview the actual prospects themselves, I would be darn confident in my ability to rank them against each other.

All of us, who do something else for a living have to rely on second-hand ‘expert’ opinions, a quick glance at a highlight package, and a few often poorly written internet blogs.

I’m going to Trust the Process and let the folks at OBD sort this out. There’s no magic set of statistics or analytics from which you’ll stumble upon the answer.

Put all these elements together, and Mayfield has the fourth-highest QBASE projection of any prospect since 1997. The only players projected higher were Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, and Donovan McNabb. Here are the top 10 prospects since 1997 based on the current formula:

Player QBASE
Philip Rivers 1964
Carson Palmer 1916
Donovan McNabb 1799
Baker Mayfield 1480
Russell Wilson 1288
Peyton Manning 1279
Marcus Mariota 1277
Byron Leftwich 1216
Aaron Rodgers 1216
Ben Roethlisberger 1211

None of this is a guarantee that Mayfield is going to be a star in the NFL. Just below the QBASE top ten are prospects who didn't pan out, including John Beck, Matt Leinart, and Christian Ponder. But based on his college performance, Mayfield has the best odds of any quarterback in this class of being an elite starter in the NFL, and the lowest odds of being a bust.

DAMN .. Let's get Baker!!!

The bust potential with these quarterbacks is staggering considering where they will be taken in the draft and, in our case, the potential draft capital that will need to be used if we want to trade into the top five of the draft to select one of these players.

I really don't envy our front office in figuring out who is the right quarterback to draft and potentially how much to give up to get that guy.  We clearly need a quality starting QB, and this draft seems stronger than most recent drafts (and likely next year's draft) for college QBs.  The pressure is on for the front office to get this done and make the right choice.  I would love for the front office to hold on to our picks since we have so many holes to fill, but I have a feeling if they can trade up to get one of their top guys at QB, they are going to do it, no matter the cost.

14 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Player / QBASE:

Philip Rivers 1964

Carson Palmer 1916

Donovan McNabb 1799

Baker Mayfield 1480

Russell Wilson 1288

Peyton Manning 1279

Marcus Mariota 1277

Byron Leftwich 1216

Aaron Rodgers 1216

Ben Roethlisberger 1211

Missed this nugget...

“Just below the QBASE top ten are prospects who didn't pan out, including John Beck, Matt Leinart, and Christian Ponder.”

all this metric does is confirm Mayfield was a good college qb. 

Dingus made a really good post.

I may have made it different in my memory but he basically pointed out that they key factor will be how these guys work at their craft once they are here. Can they take the heat? Do they listen and learn, do they keep at it?

They are very hard to separate on qualifications. They have have different strengths and weaknesses but these guys are all shaking out as pretty much the same overall in terms of how they rank. You can't know what will happen.

But if you look at their personal qualities to see who has a track record of working and focusing and coping with the public and the press and all that, then you have a big advantage in predicting what will happen in the NFL.

That being said I do wonder if somebody took all of the main measures like this Q thingy and the rest, and combined them, if it would turn out to be useful.

Most of all what I get out of all of this is fear! :)

Because when I think of any other profession or business I can't  think of one where a regular fan or hobbyist can have a good chance to beat the combined expertise of the industry in picking the direction of THE mission critical choice.

So to say if me and Bumbles get together and design a self landing rocket in our spare time that is just as good as Elon Musk's Maybe a little better.

Or we figure out a viable way for surgeons to to repair an area of the brain.

And Shaw and HaplessBillsFan design a cool new electric car engine just as good as Toyota's is.

You get the picture. The NFL is doing their best but really they are almost as close to guessing as we are. The difference between what they can come up with and what can come up with isn't very big. It isn't like my rocket idea versus Musk's. I hope the Bills guess right!

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

19 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Player / QBASE:

Philip Rivers 1964

Carson Palmer 1916

Donovan McNabb 1799

Baker Mayfield 1480

Russell Wilson 1288

Peyton Manning 1279

Marcus Mariota 1277

Byron Leftwich 1216

Aaron Rodgers 1216

Ben Roethlisberger 1211

It goes by college stats...its an imperfect science...people who think there is a 1:1 correlation out there that can be found are only kidding themselves.

6 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I may have made it different in my memory but he basically pointed out that they key factor will be how these guys work at their craft once they are here. Can they take the heat? Do they listen and learn, do they keep at it?

They are very hard to separate on qualifications. They have have different strengths and weaknesses but these guys are all shaking out as pretty much the same overall in terms of how they rank. You can't know what will happen.

But if you look at their personal qualities to see who has a track record of working and focusing and coping with the public and the press and all that, then you have a big advantage in predicting what will happen in the NFL.

That being said I do wonder if somebody took all of the main measures like this Q thingy and the rest, and combined them, if it would turn out to be useful.

Because when I think of any other profession or business I can't  think of one where a regular fan or hobbyist can have a good chance to beat the combined expertise of the industry in picking the direction of THE mission critical choice.

So to say if me and Bumbles get together and design a self landing rocket in our spare time that is just as good as Elon Musk's Maybe a little better.

And Shaw and HaplessBillsFan design a cool new electric car engine just as good as Toyota's is.

You get the picture. The NFL is doing their best but really they are almost as close to guessing as we are. The difference between what they can come up with and what can come up with isn't very big. It isn't like my rocket idea versus Musk's. I hope the Bills guess right!

Wow man! just wow! if your post about AJ McC, scapulars and all those beliefs in catholicism, weren't enough to make you a hero to me, this analogies amog careers / industries have just pushed the envelope!! thanks or a well thought post again!:beer: 

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It goes by college stats...its an imperfect science...people who think there is a 1:1 correlation out there that can be found are only kidding themselves.

Well if you read the article or some of the posts here you'd see that NO ONE, including the people who wrote the art I cle, thinks there's an1-1 correlation.  

19 minutes ago, BuffaLoko said:

Wow man! just wow! if your post about AJ McC, scapulars and all those beliefs in catholicism, weren't enough to make you a hero to me, this analogies amog careers / industries have just pushed the envelope!! thanks or a well thought post again!:beer: 

I missed all of that. Scapulars? I'll have to come here more often. 

As for Meanie's post, I do think the pros are several steps ahead of us when it comes to guessing. The problem in the qb department is that if your team needs a qb, you have to take chances on guys.  On a Losman, an Edwards, a Manuel.  You have take someone.  

The simple fact is that it appears that there are only ten or twelve guys on the planet who can really master the position and there are 32 teams looking for QB's.  So they take guys hoping they're own evaluation turns to be wrong. 

Edited by Shaw66

I get that the points are supposed to be an indicator, but I found the percentages for each QB to be pretty interesting.  They also give a very rosy picture of Mayfield's future pro career.  Mayfield might be the most likely QB to end up as a Buffalo Bill, particularly if Buffalo trades up, but if they don't get Mayfield, the rest of the crop has mixed prognostications.  Rosen is the next best with a bust risk percentage of 46.9% and a 10.4% chance of elite status.  I don't think there is any chance of Rosen ending up as a Bill.  Darnold has a bust risk of just over 50% (51.9%), but has among the lowest chances of an elite career at 4.1%.  Going on down the list, Josh Allen has a very high (62.7% risk of busting, but his elite chances are a bit higher than Darnold's at 5.2%.  Lamar Jackson, who had a pretty disappointing pro day by some accounts, makes out pretty well in this evaluation with the second lowest bust risk after Mayfield at 46.2%, and the third highest chances of elite status at 8.5%.  Mason Rudolph and Kyle Lauletta are pretty comparable to each other with a bust risk in the mid 50% range and an elite chance in the middle between 5 and 6%.  Lastly, Luke Falk ranks closest to Rudolph and Lauletta in terms of bust risk, and a bit better than those two in his elite chances.

I can't come up with one ranking by incorporating elite and bust percentages, but if I do two separate rankings, it looks like this:

Bust risk  (least to greatest) or highest floor:

Mayfield

Jackson

Rosen

Darnold

Rudolph

Falk

Lauletta

Allen

Elite potential (greatest to least) or highest ceiling:

Mayfield

Rosen

Jackson

Falk

Rudolph

Lauletta

Allen

Darnold

Now NFL teams aren't likely to pay much attention to Football Outsiders on this, but if you think it has merit, you'll be glad to see Darnold off the board at the top of the draft and Allen in that same area.  If the Jets get Rosen (their much rumored target) they look to be in decent shape.  Mayfield appears to be far and away the best prospect in the draft by these numbers (as well as the points) and should be available in the 4 to 6 range with Denver rumored to be enamored with Rudolph.  After that Jackson looks like a decent prospect despite his less than impressive pro day.  Falk, Rudolph and Lauletta don't have great numbers, but they're all in kind of the same territory.  If you like one of them, you have your reasons.  If that's who is left when you're picking, good luck.  

6 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

McCarron won back to back national championships and played in front of 102,000 rabid fans at Alabama. He played for the best and most demanding coach in college football. He fought to get out of Cincinnati because he wanted the opportunity to start.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Well if you read the article or some of the posts here you'd see that NO ONE, including the people who wrote the art I cle, thinks there's an1-1 correlation.  

As for Meanie's post, I do think the pros are several steps ahead of us when it comes to guessing. The problem in the qb department is that if your team needs a qb, you have to take chances on guys.  On a Losman, an Edwards, a Manuel.  You have take someone.  

The simple fact is that it appears that there are only ten or twelve guys on the planet who can really master the position and there are 32 teams looking for QB's.  So they take guys hoping they're own evaluation turns to be wrong. 

I don't think this is your kind of post! I figured you may have looked at this, shook your head sadly at what the Bills have done to me, and moved on  But in case you have some time on your hands and are brave, here is the link.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/203539-aj-mccarron-is-now-my-favorite-quarterback-because-i-am-my-mothers-son/

I think you might be right right about the 10 or 12 guys. I also think there is nobody who can predict who they are. Which is our problem.

But what bugs the beejeebers out of me is somebody like Nix who is STILL convinced he made no mistake on EJ. Make a mistake move on, try again. Ok by me. Make a mistake and refuse to admit it and pass on quality prospects for years, that irritates the heck out of me.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

McCarron won back to back national championships and played in front of 102,000 rabid fans at Alabama. He played for the best and most demanding coach in college football. He fought to get out of Cincinnati because he wanted the opportunity to start.

Thanks. I heard he said he would play at league minimum for a year if he was a guaranteed starter.

I don't buy the story that he couldn't beat out Dalton exactly. This is because I know teams don't often replace an entrenched starter unless they are forced to. Because just like with with Tyrod you lose all kinds of credibility if you are wrong.  Dalton is pretty good and it isn't worth the gamble unless you are certain they guy coming in is way better. Even Brady only got put in because Bledsoe went down.

So I think that McCarron very well might be as good as Daltonn or better with a bit of seasoning. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, BuffaLoko said:

Hey that is very, very kind of you. Thanks BuffaLoko!

Clever name by the way! 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Shaw66, the post you´seemed to have kinda´miss, ia titled something like: ´¨J McCarron is my Favorite QB, because I am  my Mama son....¨ or close...;)

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Wiz said:

They pegged these Bills busts

EJ Manuel            +170

JP Losman           -192

Trent Edwards      -647

Isn't EJ Manuel  a +275? 

And Carson Wentz +274?   :lol:

35 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't think this is your kind of post! I figured you may have looked at this, shook your head sadly at what the Bills have 

But what bugs the beejeebers out of me is somebody like Nix who is STILL convinced he made no mistake on EJ. Make a mistake move on, try again. Ok by me. Make a mistake and refuse to admit it and pass on quality prospects for years, that irritates the heck out of me.

It depends on what you mean by mistake.  Everyone agrees that EJ hasn't become a useful NFL starter, so by that measure he was a mistake.  But the Bills needed a qb and they had to get the best one they could.  They were going to take SOMEONE.  

Could Nix have traded down and still gotten the guy he wanted?  I don't know, but if he could have, them that was a mistake.  

But the EJ draft is exactly what I'm talking about.  You need a qb, you see a guy with potential but with problems.  You take him.  In five years either the guy is good or he's another one of those guys who make up the 50% Bust rate in the first round.  

In other words, teams overdraft qbs, because betting on one is better than not betting. 

Just now, Shaw66 said:

It depends on what you mean by mistake.  Everyone agrees that EJ hasn't become a useful NFL starter, so by that measure he was a mistake.  But the Bills needed a qb and they had to get the best one they could.  They were going to take SOMEONE.  

Could Nix have traded down and still gotten the guy he wanted?  I don't know, but if he could have, them that was a mistake.  

But the EJ draft is exactly what I'm talking about.  You need a qb, you see a guy with potential but with problems.  You take him.  In five years either the guy is good or he's another one of those guys who make up the 50% Bust rate in the first round.  

In other words, teams overdraft qbs, because betting on one is better than not betting. 

Yeah but teams that wait five years to admit the obvious, are the Buffalo Bills who never win.

So what I mean by mistake, is insisting you are right. When everybody can see you are wrong. And doing nothing about it. 

Teams that wait 5 years between taking longshot bets, are the Buffalo Bills.

Teams that use the 9th overall pick and the next year's 1st round and 4th round pick, to trade up to 4th overall, to get a wide receiver, but use 16th overall pick to get their franchise quarterback, are the Buffalo Bills.

It is most certainly the fault of the Buffalo Bills that they haven't had a QB for 20 years. It isn't bad luck.

So yes betting on one is WAY better than not betting. I totally agree. But the Bills haven't been betting for ages.

23 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yeah but teams that wait five years to admit the obvious, are the Buffalo Bills who never win.

So what I mean by mistake, is insisting you are right. When everybody can see you are wrong. And doing nothing about it. 

Teams that wait 5 years between taking longshot bets, are the Buffalo Bills.

Teams that use the 9th overall pick and the next year's 1st round and 4th round pick, to trade up to 4th overall, to get a wide receiver, but use 16th overall pick to get their franchise quarterback, are the Buffalo Bills.

It is most certainly the fault of the Buffalo Bills that they haven't had a QB for 20 years. It isn't bad luck.

So yes betting on one is WAY better than not betting. I totally agree. But the Bills haven't been betting for ages.

Two years after they drafted EJ they bet on Taylor.  

Most teams make only one bet at a time.  

Bills have made a lot of bad bets.  Losman Edwards Fitz EJ Taylor