Bills sign Phillip Gaines

It was stated on Twitter that Gaines was exposed in Bob Sutton's 3-4 defense last year, similar to EJ Gaines being exposed with the Rams. He was asked to play a lot of man-to-man coverage, which is decidedly not his strength. He is a big and athletic corner, though, and a former 3rd round pick. 

I expect him to exceed Leonard Johnson's 2017 production in the slot for Buffalo this year. At worst, he'll be worthy depth.

Good, cheap, late-FA period signing.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Thanks I wonder why they soured on Johnson who I thought played pretty good.  Maybe just a younger more athletic guy?

I felt Johnson was very up and down. I thought we would bring him back but we didn't see to be interested. Maybe they we're hoping for someone with more veratility... Johnson couldn't play outside at all.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Now that that's done, we can focus on trading up. 

The more I read the more I like the signing.  Also, it most likely means a DB will wait until late in the draft for us.  Get McD's MLB and watch the defense move into the top 10 in most categories.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Who is going to the slot? Gaines or Davis?

Johnson ?

23 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Scraping the bottom of the barrel. Good things ahead for 2018. :mellow:

3rd round pick. has potential in the right system...

Might work out in the zone. If not, it doesn’t hurt. Another body out there competing. Anyone that has a problem with the add obviously doesn’t understand the cap or nfl football teams in general. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greatdane21 said:

New system may work better for him , still feel Johnson may be back at some time

Agreed.  Johnson was OK.  I felt that he was a good, hard hitter...but, was a liability in certain situations.  I don't think he has all the skills to be a complete Nickel Corner.  Teams can do worse than Johnson, but, if you settle on him you are surely aren't trying to get better at the position.

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Scraping the bottom of the barrel. Good things ahead for 2018. :mellow:

Silly comment.  Based on what?  What do you know about Gaines?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It was stated on Twitter that Gaines was exposed in Bob Sutton's 3-4 defense last year, similar to EJ Gaines being exposed with the Rams. He was asked to play a lot of man-to-man coverage, which is decidedly not his strength. He is a big and athletic corner, though, and a former 3rd round pick. 

I expect him to exceed Leonard Johnson's 2017 production in the slot for Buffalo this year. At worst, he'll be worthy depth.

Good, cheap, late-FA period signing.

Summed up nicley

Bills hit homeruns lasr year finding system guys / team guys. I like some of the scouting reports im reading .... Sounds like a fit

Edited by ddaryl

6 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I felt Johnson was very up and down. I thought we would bring him back but we didn't see to be interested. Maybe they we're hoping for someone with more veratility... Johnson couldn't play outside at all.

Camp doesn't start until late July.  Johnson could be back.  I would bet he is.  He'll be cheap, knows the system and played okay.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s filling the “void” left by Shareece Wright? 

At least they are similar in the caliber of player they are.... This simply begs to ask, "Why"?