ANY hit with crown of helmet - Automatic 15 yards

Has anyone taken any random 2017 game film and noted how many penalties would have been called from this rule?  I'd imagine >80% of plays that don't end in an incompletion would get flagged.

It's more difficult to think of plays that wouldn't be flagged IMO.

Game will be interesting next year I guess... or different

I love this rule; it's an acknowledgment of the concussion issue and focus on proper technique (which has been consistently eroded in this era of "wow" hits).

This is the NFL being proactive in the wake of all of the talk about parents not allowing their kids to play football, etc.  It doesn't fix everything but it's a step in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

QB sneak? 

QB sneaks are not caught in this. We'll see more clarification of the rule coming in, I believe, May. But it's most likely going to be focused on weaponizing the helmet. A QB sneak, or even a runner dropping their head as they go to the ground or in the pile wont get called. This really isnt that difficult to determine, the issue is, it's been so wide spread for so long fans (and players) think that's how they should actually play the game. It isn't. Time to get rid of the "human missile" aspect.

18 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Has anyone taken any random 2017 game film and noted how many penalties would have been called from this rule?  I'd imagine >80% of plays that don't end in an incompletion would get flagged.

It's more difficult to think of plays that wouldn't be flagged IMO.

Game will be interesting next year I guess... or different

Then that is on the players to stop being lazy and start using proper technique.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Those are defensive players being ignorant, lazy, babies. I'm all about defense and hitting. I was an OLB my whole young life, and then a Fullback in Rugby. These unnamed players are simply wrong.

The NFL doesnt want to self destruct. This is simply the tackling we saw in the 80s and early 90s. Before tackling became nothing more than that human missile garbage.

If you can find 30 to 50 examples, then that is 30 to 50 examples of improper technique. And "presently worded" doesnt matter as the rule is set to be updated and clarified in the near future. Regardless, it presently refers to leading with the crown as the initial point of contact. That is pretty specific and easily identifiable.

• Like (+1) 1

As long as we’re bellyaching about non-sensical rules, I’ve never understood why a running back can stiff arm a defender in the face mask and damn near knock his block off and that’s ok, but if a defender’s fingertips graze the RB’s face mask during the tackle, that’s 15 yards....

Inconceivable!

Edited by Inigo Montoya

25 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

As long as we’re bellyaching about non-sensical rules, I’ve never understood why a running back can stiff arm a defender in the face mask and damn near knock his block off and that’s ok, but if a defender’s fingertips graze the RB’s face mask during the tackle, that’s 15 yards....

Inconceivable!

Unless the RB is shady mccoy... I feel like they never call obvious facemasks on him.

Man, they go into the offseason focusing on the catch rule and then this. 

I get that something needed to be done. But defensive players really did draw the short straw. 

Refs are going to mess this up badly. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

The NFL is done, you just don’t know it yet. The beginning of the end.  Prediction this rule will have to be changed or there will be no NFL. If you think games are long now. This is a disaster and it’s open to interpretation so that means Refs can take boarder line stuff and make calls that will effect the out come of the game. Stupid is what stupid does. Just throw guys out of the game if they spear it’s really simple. There screwing this up just like they did the catch and surviving the ground rule. So now they changed that back but  they are now screwing up other parts of the game. If your told to tackle above the knees and below the head

Typically they want you to tackle at the players waist, don’t you have to lower your head to do it. No way this will fly and work. Get ready for 65-54 game scores and 4 hr games. Hey let’s just put red flags on a belt and play flag football. Now that will solve the problem. 

There will be problems with this rule, but after a year or so it will be fine.  

Remember the uproar when the defenseless receiver rule came on?  DBS took a whole to adjust, but now you don't see guys getting rung up every week, and the defenses aren't getting gashed.  

Guys will change how they play and the refs will learn to use some judgment about when to make call.  

2018 will be messy, but 2019 will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Get ready for constant, never ending flags.

Yep.  I can see games taking even longer, initially.  Training camp and defense practice sessions during the season will probably focus a lot more on tackling fundamentals.  Amazing how many players still lead with the crown of the helmet, which is noticeable while watching the games.

52 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Typically they want you to tackle at the players waist, don’t you have to lower your head to do it. No way this will fly and work. Get ready for 65-54 game scores and 4 hr games. Hey let’s just put red flags on a belt and play flag football. Now that will solve the problem. 

No, you dont. Unless youre lazy or dont know what you're doing. Heads up, see what you are tackling. Eyes through the thighs. It is how tackling was done throughout the history of the game up until very recently when the human missile crap started.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

This is the sort of play that I'm curious about. If I'm a QB, no way in hell that I'm going into that pile vertically.

Also the same thing with RBs.  I've seen many instances where the RB will address the oncoming defender with his helmet.

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No, you dont. Unless youre lazy or dont know what you're doing. Heads up, see what you are tackling. Eyes through the thighs. It is how tackling was done throughout the history of the game up until very recently when the human missile crap started.

My HS coach used to teach us to tackle with our eyebrows.  Basically head up, put your eye brows into the guy.

16 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Also the same thing with RBs.  I've seen many instances where the RB will address the oncoming defender with his helmet.

No more if this.

Animated GIF earl, cfb, earl campbell,   career highlights,