Bandit's 2018 QB Evaluations

Nice.   Thanks for posting this and look forward to the rest of them.  Rosen is my current number 1 but i think I’d take Darnold over him just because I like what he brings to a team locker room a bit more.  

Great job Bandito, If the Bills can't make a reasonable deal to get one of their preferred qbs I would be more than happy with taking Jackson with our first pick at the 12th spot. It may take him a little longer to refine his game but he  has attributes that adds a unique dimension to the offense. No question I would prefer Rosen, Darnold, Allen or Mayfield but Jackson is not only a good option but an option over time who can turn out to be the most dynamic qb of the bunch. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

Ive come away from watching those guys in a similar vain.  I am curious as to why you picked the OSU game for Darnold.  For the other players you picked more favorable film.  

YOLO's influence. 

18 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Josh Rosen

Summary: Rosen has everything you want in a franchise QB: plenty of arm, pinpoint accuracy, intelligence, and toughness.  He does get too many of his intermediate throws batted down for my liking, and I worry that he gets spooked by phantom pressure when teams are able to get to him early.  Overall, he’s my QB1 and should easily be a top-5 pick that can start immediately.

Baker Mayfield

Summary: Mayfield gets knocked for his size, but for a guy that small, he almost never has the ball batted down.  His throwing mechanics are excellent, and he’s very accurate.  My biggest issue is that he needs to get comfortable working the pocket better.  He won’t be able to hold the ball for 3+ seconds like he did routinely in college, and he can’t afford to bail clean pockets in the NFL, where the defenders are too athletic to allow him to roam free untouched.  The arm talent and athleticism, combined with the attitude and desire to win, make him an easy top-10 pick for me.

Sam Darnold

Summary: There’s so much to like with Darnold: athleticism, accuracy, arm strength, and everything happens fast with him.  If it weren’t for his turnovers and ball security, he’d probably be my QB1…if it weren’t for turnovers and ball security.  He’s got to get that under control.  As it is, he’s good enough to be a top-5 pick.

Josh Allen

Summary: I keep watching Allen over and over trying to find the “major accuracy issues” that others say he’s got.  I’m sorry, but I don’t see them.  I see a guy that needs to refine his touch throws to the boundary and clean up some occasional footwork issues, but mostly I see a guy that tries to make something out of nothing too often.  Sometimes that’ll present itself via him trusting his arm too much and throwing into danger, but a lot of gunslinger-type QBs do that.  I have him as my QB4, and I’ve given him a top-10 grade; when he’s right, he’s the best QB in the class.

Lamar Jackson

Game selected: @ Florida State

Reason: Facing 6th-ranked pass defense in FBS (in terms of YPA)

Notes (timestamp correlates to beginning of play):

0:00 boy can that ball come out quick

0:24 makes very good zone-reads on back-to-back plays

1:11 my least favorite thing about Jackson is his relative lack of pocket mechanics; his footwork breaks down under pressure (and perceived pressure) and he loses accuracy

1:20 to folks that believe he won’t be a dangerous dual threat in the NFL: that’s Derwin James he just blew by on that play

1:41 nice patience, and a full-field read to find the TE over the middle

3:04 again, the breakdown in pocket mechanics forces an inaccurate throw

4:22 the hidden benefit of having a guy like Jackson is that defenses have to commit players to cover the run threat, which leaves easy swing passes like this one open

4:33 nice job keeping eyes downfield

4:53 gotta get rid of the football

5:23 there’s the bad footwork again, forcing a miss to the boundary, but…

5:30 this throw is a dime; nice touch

6:55 this play makes me think he can be deadly on RPOs in the pros; how do you maintain coverage responsibilities AND commit enough guys to stop Jackson on the ground?

7:59 this is the kind of chain-moving money throw that he’ll have to make on Sundays…apparently he can make it

8:34 this ball is just a smidgeon underthrown, but still a nice touch on a deep throw that could’ve been a game-winner.

8:56 these next 3 plays are a portfolio unto themselves as to why this kid can be special.  It’s crunch time, and he (1) shows a willingness to take what the defense gives him, (2) shows the ability to extend the play and keep his eyes downfield to hit a critical first down, and (3) throws a beautiful deep ball that, again, should’ve been a game-winner.

Summary: he’s not a perfect prospect, but Jackson has the goods.  He’s ultra-athletic, and can keep defenses honest, which will really help a team’s running game.  I also like that he’s got the take-what-they-give-you mentality, and if he’s willing to use it he can have early success in the NFL.  I think he should’ve gone back to school to clean up his pocket mechanics and become a more nuanced passer, but right now he’s got a first-round grade from me.

Mason Rudolph

Summary: I have Rudolph rated as a Day 2 QB; a guy that has the potential to be a starter in the NFL.  I don’t like that he doesn’t take any snaps under center, and I don’t see a player that can hit the full spectrum of NFL throws with enough consistency to be someone’s long-term answer at the position.  He is, however, a good enough passer to win games if given enough talent around him, and he does show good ability to make pre-snap reads.

Bandit, you are the man!! Great job!!

Edited by the skycap

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Ive come away from watching those guys in a similar vain.  I am curious as to why you picked the OSU game for Darnold.  For the other players you picked more favorable film.  

I tried to pick the toughest pass defense they faced (in terms of YPA allowed) for each guy. Seemed like as level a playing field as any

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It looks, to me, like he picked games against teams with excellent pass defenses.

Thanks!  Really appreciate this.  Beats the crap out of yet another "mock draft" or posts trying to read the tea leaves of GM-speak.

8 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Bandit, you are the man!! Great job!!

Come on man, you've been around here long enough to know not to quote the entire post!  :doh:

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

Thanks bandit

At the end of the day.....yeah i have 3 qbs ahead of Lamar Jackson

The difference is we dont pick in the top 5 of this draft.....we pick 12th....so why is it a bad thing to pick up a very talented QB and then focus on

Linebackers

Wide Receivers

New blood at running back

All of which are very needed.....and we have all those day one/day 2 picks.  If Bean has done his homework we could completely restock this team.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Thanks!  Really appreciate this.  Beats the crap out of yet another "mock draft" or posts trying to read the tea leaves of GM-speak.

Come on man, you've been around here long enough to know not to quote the entire post!  :doh:

That almost makes ME want to do it! :huh:

• Haha (+1) 1

I really hope that the community is fully appreciative of Bandit's contributions to this board. I know from experience just how much work goes into the kind of process that he undertakes. 

While we don't always agree on everything, you know that I respect the hell out of you.

• Like (+1) 6