Bandit's 2018 QB Evaluations

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think that is about right where I have them. But Rudolph was the best player on that offense for me. 

Just to be clear, I’m not saying that Rudolph’s numbers are completely a reflection of the guys around him. The point was more, the other guys don’t have great weapons (at all). Rudolph’s top 2 receivers will be amongst the top 10 (or so) receivers drafted. They are definitely better than what Allen was working with (for example).

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just to be clear, I’m not saying that Rudolph’s numbers are completely a reflection of the guys around him. The point was more, the other guys don’t have great weapons (at all). Rudolph’s top 2 receivers will be amongst the top 10 (or so) receivers drafted. They are definitely better than what Allen was working with (for example).

which might help explain Allens low completion percentage at the college level IMO.(57%)

New Era stadium from a bad weather standpoint is the worst in the NFL and you need a high velocity cannon to help counter the storm.

Josh Allen can bring it...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Figster said:

which might help explain Allens low completion percentage at the college level IMO.(57%)

New Era stadium from a bad weather standpoint is the worst in the NFL and you need a high velocity cannon to help counter the storm.

Josh Allen can bring it...

I kinda like the idea that we could start on our 25 and teams couldn't rule out the qb getting the ball to the goal line.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 5:58 PM, kdiggz said:

I can't believe there is any question whether Rosen is the best QB in the draft.  But I am surprised when I see someone that agrees with me.  I open a thread and I expect to see someone else at the top.  It feels like I'm taking crazy pills.  Glad you agree.  He has next level mechanics.  Coaches like to think you can teach that but you can only make small improvements to mechanics because when the bullets are flying the player reverts back to what he knows best.  Josh Rosen was absolutely born to be a QB.  Sadly, I don't think the Bills will draft him.  We will watch him go to pro bowls and always wonder what if.

I actually have Allen as my #2 for the same reasons you stated.  I don't see the horrible accuracy issues.  I see touch issues.  He throws a fastball when a change-up is needed.  That's fine, he will learn that the more he throws and I saw improvements with that at the senior bowl.  Watch the 2nd half tape, it's impressive.  The footwork gets sloppy when under pressure.  You want to see replicatable precision.  Tom Brady works on that with Tom House.  Every throw should look the same.  That's one of the first things you learn as a baseball pitcher too.  If your delivery is in check then you can put the ball wherever you want it.  He will work on that.  But the good news is he's built like a tree so good luck getting him down.  Once he gets more comfortable in the pocket I think his footwork will improve.  He also has to work on anticipation.  Growing up, when you throw a football that hard you don't have to anticipate the receiver breaking open but in the NFL the windows are so small that you do.

I go back and forth on Darnold and Mayfield.  I hate Darnold's delivery and footwork.  As a connoisseur of QB's, I can't get over huge mechanical flaws.  He has happy feet and starts tap dancing and even employs the jump pass from time to time.  Just say no to the jump pass.  Slide in the pocket, have a good base when you throw, keep the ball high and ready to fire.  There's no need for all of that other stuff.  Plus the fumbles and int's are a huge concern.  But he has the body for the position and a quick release with good arm strength and anticipation so it makes me think maybe he can overcome his flaws if he works at it.

Mayfield I just can't get over his height.  I didn't see him work very much in the pocket, just a lot of quick throws from the shotgun.  He just represents a much bigger risk for me.  But I love his drive and determination and he would be the kind of guy that a team drafts him and you hear about him doing amazing in camp and taking over the leadership reigns and just never letting go.  I think he will start year 1 because he doesn't know any other way.  He's taller, better arm strength, and better anticipation than I gave him credit for in the past.  I wouldn't be upset if the Bills got him at pick 6-12.  He would easily beat out anyone we have.

Central Michigan was ranked #99 in the country.